Chinese fonts on English MPx220

Guest ghettoboy

Guest ghettoboy

After countless hours searching across various Smartphone forums, and tried some installers that DID NOT work with my MPx220 (eg. MrMagoo's BlindLemon Font Installer, and other various methods) I've finally understanded the steps necessary to enable Chinese support for my English OS MPx220 (Cingular, F/W:1.3).

Since NO ONE has yet written an easy step by step instructions on how to do this, i figure i might as well share my findings to save you some trouble.

Instructions

0. Connect MPx220 to your computer

1. Copy the font file "mingliu.ttc" from your computer (eg. C:\WINDOWS\Fonts) to MPx220's /Storage/windows/Fonts folder.

2. Download and Extract the .zip file into C:\temp

3. Open a DOS prompt in C:\temp

4. type: RapiConfig.exe /p TraditionalChinese.xml

5. reboot MPx220

For Simplified Chinese - Use "simsun.ttc" and SimplifiedChinese.xml instead

I am able to read Chinese characters in Contact List, Text Messages, E-mail, Calendar, File Manager, Windows Media and ring tones, etc.

The Chinese fonts are quite "ugly" at the normal small size, you might want to change the System font size in the Accessibility options to Large to have a not so jagged looking font.

References

Credits goes to the following OP for providing good info for me figure this out

MSDN

hardcore

MrMagoo

EnableChineseMPx220.zip

Edited by ghettoboy

This is great work ghettyboy! For the first time my Chinese playlists are displaying correctly in WMP!

I agree with you though the Chinese fonts are quite ugly besides reading Chinese. This leads to the inevitable question, is there any way to change the default font back to original, or better yet, be able to change font on the fly?

Hello,

If you don't want to use rapid config, use PHM registry editor and just edit these two keys

(from http://www.happycorner.com.hk/smpspec/smpsp001.htm)

把MPx200轉成英文後,整個升級程序已完成大半。但如果大家希望你的MPx200能顯示中文,就需要準備一個ttf中文字體,但由於升級後只剩下約6MB可用的ROM事所以大家盡可能找2MB或以下的字體檔為佳。大家先把字體檔放到MPx200的Storage\windows\Fonts資料夾,同時到\Windows\資料夾中,把nina.ttf及ninab.ttf這兩個英文字體掛抄到上述的fonts資料夾中,然後建立兩條新的登錄碼:

1. 加上新Key:FontPath,加入新String:FontPath = \Storage\windows\Fonts

2. 加上新Key:FontLink\SystemLink,加入新String:nina = \Storage\windows\ Fonts\msming.ttf, MSMing

最後的檔名及字體名稱則視乎你向所用的中文字體而定。

There is a problem w/ PHM in smartphone 2003, is that it will QUIT unexpectedly. If that's so using rapidconfig is a easier way.

Just let you know, msming.ttf has a much better font compare to PMingLiu in smartphone... (it's like buying an localized one...) plus it's smaller...

Edited by hjimmy

Guest sophantim

Remember (PHM Registry Editor) keep QUIT unexpectedly,Here the answer.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Shell/LowMem hit Values select ProgramMem, Value data:80 and that all to it. Remember to reboot your phone!

hjimmy! can you also send me msming.ttf file. Thanks!

Check PM :D

i actually prefer msming to mingliu and the file size is also smaller. the problem is after installing msming now i cannot delete \Storage\windows\Fonts\mingliu.ttc - access is denied. any clues?

i actually prefer msming to mingliu and the file size is also smaller. the problem is after installing msming now i cannot delete \Storage\windows\Fonts\mingliu.ttc - access is denied. any clues?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that's probably because of those keys rapid config added to your registry. Delete those keys and only add those folders and values I posted. Reboot and you should be able to delete your font.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently got my mpx220 (cingular f/w 1.3) and am trying to follow the instructions to be able to read chinese font on my phone.

I placed the file simsun.tff onto the storage/windows/font/ folder.

I placed the contents of the zip (rapiconfig.exe and simplified-chinese.xml) into the Temp folder. However, when I try to open rapiconfig.exe, nothing happens.

Would anyone know the reason why it doesn't do anything that I can notice?

I have installed phm reg editor, but when I try to make new values I receive an error that doesn't allow me to change any values.

I have tried going through the other links, but it hasn't been helpful to me. Especially since I can't edit the registries.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by copius

I recently got my mpx220 (cingular f/w 1.3) and am trying to follow the instructions to be able to read chinese font on my phone.

Any help would be appreciated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just updated my ROM to 1.3, so I'll test it and let you know.

Edited by hjimmy

I've got my MPx220 displays chinese very well.

anyway, when i try to send a chinese text message to my another cellphone which's chinese moto v600 it totally mess up with all "????"... i don't think that's carrier because when i send message from v600 to mpx220 it's ok.

anybody got any ideas?

Edited by crumpz

I've got my MPx220 displays chinese very well.

anyway, when i try to send a chinese text message to my another cellphone which's chinese moto v600 it  totally mess up with all "????"... i don't think that's carrier because when i send message from v600 to mpx220 it's ok. 

anybody got any ideas?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

After I checked " Use Unicode when necessary" on, chinese text message problem is solved.

Start - > Messaging -> Text Messages -> "Menu" -> Options -> Sending , from Top down the third one.

although when you are replying a message from a person who's name stored in your contacts list is in chinese, you 'll see some "???" instead of his/her name, your message will send thought anyway.

Guest huntman69

Hi Friends and good helpers,

So, if this procedure good for Chinese, it might be good to any other fonts that you like to "see" in your phone.

But the main question, is among all .TTF files , how do you know what to copy to your device .

I'M from Israel and I would like to read Hebrew fonts , so can any1 help ?

Thank You,

P.S.

We are reading from right to left.......:):):):)

I'M from Israel and I would like to read Hebrew fonts , so can any1 help ?

Thank You,

P.S.

We are reading from right to left.......:lol::):(:)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hello,

Please reply to this thread,

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=200414

Use Arial Unicode MS... (ARIALUNI.TTF)

This will GARANTEE to work, as I mentioned in the thread above, if you don't know which file to copy.

Thank You,

But "why" this file, it's size is almost 23M ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You probably don't know how many words we have in Asian language... PMingLiU is 8 megabytes and have about only 13,000 words (maybe it's more than that). Traditional Chinese fonts w/ 13,000 words range from 7~15 megabytes. Imaging having Japanese, Korean, and all rest of the languages in the world together, 22MB isn't that bad.

For more information, or if your'e interested, go here

http://www.unicode.org

• 1 month later...
Guest larry
PM me your e-mail i'll send anyone who need msming.ttf

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hello hjimmy, great posting. It seem that msming.ttf is good for the traditional Chinese, do you know where I can get the equivalent simplified version? thanks Larry

Guest hunmin

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In order to remove the *.ttf files, you will have to delete FontLinks or FontPath from your registry first. The best method is to delete it, because you will have to reboot first, before you can remove those files.

I suggest you use Resco Registry editor or any regedit support exporting and importing registry settings, to avoid typing the FontLinks and FontPath over and over again.

Guest larry
Remember (PHM Registry Editor) keep QUIT unexpectedly,Here the answer.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Shell/LowMem hit Values select ProgramMem, Value data:80 and that all to it.  Remember to reboot your phone!

hjimmy! can you also send me msming.ttf file. Thanks! 

Check PM  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am really new to this, what is this "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Shell/LowMem", how do I do it? any help will be greatly appreciated.

Guest copius
I am really new to this, what is this "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Shell/LowMem", how do I do it? any help will be greatly appreciated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You need to use a registry editor for the phone. There are several that you can install on the phone and use. I only know of one for the desktop that you can use as your phone is sync'd to the computer. That program is called Smartione