C500 Car Charger

Guest DJBenson

Guest DJBenson

I ordered the C500 charger from the Orange shop (which I expect is as close to OEM as I'll get) and it doesn't work with the phone. The little LED on the plug light up when it's plugged into my car's cig lighter but the phone doesn't charge when connected.

Has anyone else had problems with the units from the UK Orange store?

Guest Pondrew

Oops. No experience of the car charger myself but I heard someone say that the C500 would need more then just a usb to mini usb car adaptor as the phone requires a signal to activate charging. Surely Orange shop wouldn't be amateur enough to sell an official accessory that doesn't work!!?!?

Guest DJBenson
Oops. No experience of the car charger myself but I heard someone say that the C500 would need more then just a usb to mini usb car adaptor as the phone requires a signal to activate charging. Surely Orange shop wouldn't be amateur enough to sell an official accessory that doesn't work!!?!?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought about doing it cheap and getting one of those cig->usb adaptors off eBay but foolishly I thought that getting it from Orange would be a safer deal.

Guest Randallc

I had the same issue with the one I got from Expansys as part of their Value Pack. It does not work either.

So I conducted a little test.

Using the USB cord which came with my SP3 it syncs and charges with my laptop perfectly... however if I connect it to my desktop (without active sync installed) it will not charge. I then installed active sync on my desktop and hey presto it charges... in summary unless you can work out how to install active sync to your cigarette lighter in your car you are stuffed...

Has anyone found one that works???

Guest Confucious

The charger from the Modaco shop works fine and the one from Orange *should* work - if it doesn', take it back.

There is another thread that goes into great detail as to why the lead won't work without ActiveSync and how to connect Pins 4 and 5 to get it to work but iot's a lot easier just to take the car charger back to Orange and tell them you want one that works :D

Edited by Confucious

i got one from orange which cost me £14-99 as part of an accesory pack even though i didn't want the other bits and its got a mind of its own - only works when it wants to! trouble is i think its because i've stretched it to much - does any one know where to get one with a longer cable that ain't coiled?

Guest Confused Stu

DJBenson, I got a car charger from an Orange shop a month or so ago (wanted to get as close to OEM as possible, also was in shop and convenient). It's worked absolutely fine with no problems at all.

Firstly check that you cigarette lighter works OK with something else (don't trust the fact that it might light up with the headlights on, they can be on different fuses!). Assuming your cigarette lighter works fine, take the charger back and ask for an exchange. After all, you went to the manufacturer because you'd be sure it works and you'd have a walk-in shop to go back to, right?

Guest carphead

I had the same problem. I brought a car charger from the Orange Website assuming that it would work. It didn't turns out that ORL supply the accessories from the O Website.

So I sent it back and figured I'd have to do without :D

Then last week I went into a local orange shop paid the same price for another charger and it worked fine!!!!

So don't buy from the website!!!!

I believe you need to solder two of the pins on the usb lead together to make it work. This fools it into thinking it is connected to activesync. Can't remember which pins though :D

I got my charger off the O website and it works fine, without modification. Assuming mine continues to function correctly, it sounds like you were unlucky and it's faulty. :D Send it back.

Edited by sponge