Rumour Mill: MPx220 UK future uncertain

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

Another of our new 'Rumour Mill' features for you, this time about the MPx220 :D

Sources within Orange are reluctant to comment on the availability of the eagerly awaited successor to the popular Motorola MPx200, but our spies are telling us that the MPx220's to-date troublesome existence continues...

After undergoing testing within Orange, and being listed as an 'in testing' handset to Orange Retail (as is customary), the MPx220 has now disappeared from the Orange systems altogether.

It seems that all has not been well in the testing period, and the Retail release that normally follows this process has been postponed, and there is currently no date for release at all!

O2 have also been 'making some noise' of late about their MPx220 release, but this too seems to have been postponed, again, due to technical problems with the handset.

We'll give you more information as we have it, but things are not looking good for Clamshell Smartphone fans at the moment... a real shame, because, despite it's weaknesses (poor camera, poor battery life when compared to the C500), it's a nice phone :D

P

6776_MotImage.jpg

Guest stevem999

Total ar*e.

Why can't any network or manufacturer get this phone sorted out. Networks in the US seem to have sorted it (albeit with a couple of ROM updates). I REALLY want a clamshell smartphone, I'm happy with the smaller screens they give compared to the candybars etc!

It was obviously a bit presumptuous for O2 to put it in their Dec-Jan brochure wasn't it?

paul - can you describe the technical issues that EU service providers are concerned about? it would be interesting to know if they're similar issues that we've (US users) been dealing with. thanks!

Edited by cortez

Guest benjytrainer

Hello all,

Thanks for the update Paul

Thought I would just stick my 2 cents on the end of that, seeing as I, like lots of others here have been waiting for the phone !

It's a real shame that the greatest possibility now is that we'll never see this handset officially in the UK - Orange (by the sounds of things) are not going forward with it, o2 likewise, and a main importer (expansys) stated at least a few weeks before they get units

So, what are we left with ?

Either buy the handset separately, or go with a network ( which as we know isn't likely to happen ). Buying the handset separately is both expensive, and you can't rely on any support from the network if you get an issue.

A very depressing state of affairs given that this handset looks great, is probably 80% there in terms of software, and fits the needs of a lot of people

Do we need to start a R.I.P. mpx220 thread so everyone can pay their respects ....

:D

Guest Kenny-Craig
the mpx220 is not dead yet... :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Will be a shame if it does get canned but the MPX200 was RIP then in the shops in a matter of weeks.

Good job I got my MPX220 already, sorry I had to say it and I even posted a pic to be a real git. :D

post-105363-1106241244_thumb.jpg

Guest bdmoore

Hopefully it will get released - I really want this phone and I'm reluctant to buy one from Expansys - don't want to pay £300 for the phone and I'd rather have an o2 or Orange connection than Vodafone!!

Come on Orange / O2 - you'll make a fortune if you release this phone!!!

Paul, you're using one of the later FW's, what are your impressions of the phone today?

*AND* is that non-silver MPx220 (sorry, don't know what color to call it anymore) a pre-production or production HW?

-Mc

Guest Paul [MVP]

The brown-black one is production hardware.

I am using the latest firmware I think (1.90)... it's a good 'overall' phone, but the camera is a bit rubbish, the battery life is not as good as the C500, and the screen is small and, well, kinda strange... I don't understand why they shrunk the screen from the MPx200 tbh.

P

Guest Kenny-Craig
The brown-black one is production hardware.

I am using the latest firmware I think (1.90)... it's a good 'overall' phone, but the camera is a bit rubbish, the battery life is not as good as the C500, and the screen is small and, well, kinda strange... I don't understand why they shrunk the screen from the MPx200 tbh.

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Version 1.9, thats so yesterday mine is 2.12 and has a standby time of at lest 3 days.

Guest stevem999
Why don't you all stop whinging and just get a C500 :D

RD&H

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We don't want a C500, we want an MPX220! Waaah wahhhh, (throws rattle out of pram)

8)

Guest chris_reboot

I spoke to someone at Orange on Wed this week, and they said it had not passed their testing phase.

Presumably that's it then....?

Going for the C500 today instead.

(Would like an M2000, but out of stock till mid feb - plus looks to be around £250).

:cry:

Guest mike-oh
Only a silver one? Bah, I have one of each :D

tn_gallery_1_3_1105386625.jpg

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's just being greedy! i'm off for a cry now, i wanna clamshell :cry:

Edited by mike-oh

• 2 weeks later...
Guest influenz

ok. so as a uk user whose contract with orange (with an mpx200) expires in 3 weeks, who requires a new smartphone, hopefully with a slightly more up to date OS as standard!! would like a camera, tho as an mpx200 user anything would b better than nothing!

do i give up on the mpx220 ? is there any alternative to rival the c500 ?

tho a clam-shell is merely a preference surely the spv isn't the only choice available in the foreseeable future?!

Am I being too picky? is it worth waiting for an MPX220 ?? any suggestions welcome... ;-]

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.