Media Center 2005

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest SeaneyC

Yeh, my mate and i got one of those media center remotes. It's pretty good, but i prefer my customised HomeCinema PC on picture quality, even if it is a bit harder to use. (i mean come on a few mouse clicks isn't exactly rocket science lol)

Out of interest, how is your shuttle plugged into your TV (i assume it's a shuttle) If you're a PQ freak, a custom Radeon card with a VGA - Scart VGA cable gives a much better picture! Am still saving for a new PJ as i have no room for my old (but still quality) 3CRT one :D

Guest Paul [MVP]

It is a shuttle, well spotted :D

It has a GeForce FX5200 plugged in via S-Video -> S-Video SCART... PQ is pretty good, but i'd love a big LCD TV really :D

P

Guest awarner [MVP]

I'm running my MCE on a 30" Toshiba LCD via the VGA rather than DVI

as it can obtain higher res.

The only annoyance I have is my Hauppauge 500 dual tuner card as the drivers appear to be irratic. But HL2 rocks :D

I've got a 42" panasonic plasma screen hanging on my living room wall. I bought it a while ago and it was quite expensive but I've never regretted it. It would be really stange to watch a television that's standing on the floor now :shock:

I bought the plasma in a shop called 'Sound and Vision' in farnworth if anyone knows it.

Guest bdmoore

MCE 2005 Rocks! :D

No plasma screen attached unfortunately, but my Sony Wega 32" TV gives a good enough picture for me!

Isn't it great to never have to watch adverts anymore? Plus the other half can watch all the cr*p that I don't want to watch when I'm at work :D

overclockers.co.uk has OEM licenses for MCE05 for about £80 inc vat! Thats cheaper than XP Pro! All I need now is a remote to go with it - other than that, got my new HTPC case with MCE running and its all good! Likewise no projector here, but the 32" widescreen will do :D

Guest bdmoore

Ebuyer have the new MCE 2005 remote kit (the picture shows the 2004 remote but it is the 2005 one!) - about £28 inc vat and delivery if my memory serves me correctly...

Guest bdmoore

Not sure on the minimum spec, but you don't need an extremely powerful PC - a 1GHz Athlon with 256MB RAM would happily run it. It really depends on whether you want to use the PC aspects as well - personally I just have mine sat behind the TV and don't use it for anything else. Bit of a waste of a 3GHz Athlon really! :D

MCE2005 is a LOT more stable than the previous versions. I occasionally have a problem with channels not changing correctly, but I think that's probably down to my cr*ppy old PACE receiver :D