Help with broken phone

Guest pmaccaj

Guest pmaccaj

After having a few too many beers last night I managed to drop my c500 down a flight of stairs.

Upon inspection I noticed the LCD wasn't working and I discovered a crack, although the phone seemed to function normally because I could still receive calls. Then I decided to reboot the phone only to discover it would not turn on again. Any idea why?

I have changed a few LCDs on nokias before but can anyone tell me how different these phones are. Is it fairly easy to change or shall I just send it off to HTC for repair?

Has anyone had any experience with using the HTC handset repair service and does anyone have any idea of costs and time involved?

Guest Confused Stu

It is possible to strip the phone apart to get to the screen (I've included some instructions in a Word document on the following thread):

C500 de-dusting

But it will invalidate your warranty, they will be able to tell, and I haven't seen anywhere selling parts for the C500 separately.

You might be better off claiming on your Orange Care (if you've got it), or checking your phone into HTC for them to repair it:

HTC Europe site

I looked into getting them to do a full cosmetic refurbishment on mine to get rid of some dust on the screen - it would've cost about £15 and the phone would have been sent back within a week. In the end, I got annoyed with it and stripped it apart anyway. I'm not a patient man! :evil:

Good luck, and let us know what you decided and how you got on! :D

Guest Chaser81

You would have to weigh up whether it was easier letting HTC handle it or getting a replacement screen to do it yourself. You would also have to see which option was cheaper, but from past experience, I would think HTC probably charge in the region of about £60 or so to do the screen.

I agree with going down the orange care route if you have it, if not you could apply for 'Emergency Care' if you are a contract customer, there will be a one off charge involved, but the turnaround time will typicly be a few days, rather than weeks, which would be the case if you sent to HTC.

I def wouldn't recomend a DIY job though, as there are some very small parts in

there..