Xda 2s

Guest simc

Hi.

Can't see this question anywhere else so here goes.

I have an XDA2s from O2.

Problem is I want to get rid of the crappy OS utility that is O2's user interface.

I am running eXPerience on it you see and I think having them both running is making it a bit slow.

When I try to remove it it says it can't because 5 processes are running. I have managed to end 4 of them but the one that is still running is xpdr_o2.ttf in the windows/fonts folder.

Obviously this is a font and its the only font in the folder so I don't think I can delete it without screwing my phone up. The other services I stopped using eXPerience's task manger though it was very trial and error which ones I could kill without freezing the phone.

Anyone got any idea how I could remove the crappy O2 UI?

Guest pokecheck42
Anyone got any idea how I could remove the crappy O2 UI?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here's what I did:

Perform a hard reset (i.e. the one holding down the power button and the reset 'switch'). As the phone boots up, it tells you that it is about to install the rubbish O2 software in X seconds - at this point remove the battery! Then repalce the battery and you have an unblemished device.

I also scoured the net and found a copy of the O2 'ROM' which can be unzipped, and just the useful things installed (tried to attach but too big :D )

I had to remove the 02 software becuase I found it was not letting me maintain a VPN link using PPTP (as opposed to IP2SEC) for more than 1 second at a time. I tried to convince 02 tech support/Data support that this was a bug but they said that they couldn't replicate it - although they did admit that the reason they couldn't replicate it was down to the fact that they did not have a PPTP server to connect to!

So anyway, I just didn't install their front end, and the problem went away.

Ian

Edited by pokecheck42

Guest Chaser81
Here's what I did:

Perform a hard reset (i.e. the one holding down the power button and the reset 'switch'). As the phone boots up, it tells you that it is about to install the rubbish O2 software in X seconds - at this point remove the battery! Then repalce the battery and you have an unblemished device.

I also scoured the net and found a copy of the O2 'ROM' which can be unzipped, and just the useful things installed (tried to attach but too big :D )

I had to remove the 02 software becuase I found it was not letting me maintain a VPN link using PPTP (as opposed to IP2SEC) for more than 1 second at a time. I tried to convince 02 tech support/Data support that this was a bug but they said that they couldn't replicate it - although they did admit that the reason they couldn't replicate it was down to the fact that they did not have a PPTP server to connect to!

So anyway, I just didn't install their front end, and the problem went away.

Ian

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tried your method for removing O2 software yesterday on an XDAIIs about five times and it didnt work at all.

Guest pokecheck42
Tried your method for removing O2 software yesterday on an XDAIIs about five times and it didnt work at all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only problem I had was when I accidentally did a soft reset instead of a hard or if I didn't remove the battery during the x seconds 'grace' period before the software installs...

The only problem I had was when I accidentally did a soft reset instead of a hard or if I didn't remove the battery during the x seconds 'grace' period before the software installs...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Done it!!!

Just rename the font file to .old

rename the active update folder to .old (in program files)

rename the mobile solutions folder to .old (in windows)

rename the ms folder to .old (in windows)

and it doesn't start up and doesn't show in the add/remove programs.

Its a bit messy....shame I couldn't uninstall it totally. But at least it doesn't start when I switch on anymore..

Hey, I'm one of the Orange customers waiting for the M2000 and I'm thinking about taking the O2 or T-Mobile equivalent. Is this "crappy" interface really that bad? I googled eXPerience, basically it's the PPC version of skinning, right?

Should all this stuff sway me away from the O2 version? Or are all the HTC variants pretty much the same?

Guest Pondrew

The MDA III seems to come with very little T-Mobile junk, just grps monitor/battery plugin and voice dial application.

I've been very pleased with it. Curious as to what all the O2 stuff does then as can't see that T-Mobile have made much effort to change the operating system themselves...

• 2 months later...
Guest mattandamy

Hi,

A question for Pokecheck42.

I read on here and did what you said to do (hard reset and as it says its going to install the o2 stuff , take the battery out).

I must say it hasnt froze once up to yet and much faster.

The only problem is that i have no things on my main screen apart from the time/date, messages, calender and tasks.

How do i add things to the main screen as shortcuts?

Also, how do i get the battery meter back?

Matt

• 4 weeks later...
Guest bartkuiper

Just tried your suggested approach of removing battery during O2 file installation after hard reset - looks like everything's gone ok so far. No O2 crap to be seen. Hopefully this will fix the issue of the unit freezing 2/3 times a day....

• 3 weeks later...
Guest alsxuk

I did what you said and it appears to be working a treat. I'm glad to get rid of the O2 stuff!!

One problem - it no longer recognises and plays .mid files - any reason for this?