SMT5600: Best Carrier? +Newb Questions

Guest Vrylakos

Guest Vrylakos

First post, and I apologize if I have misplaced it...

Alrighty. I have finally found an Audiovox SMT5600 at an ATT/Cingular store. I managed to find the holy grail: an employee who actually knew about smartphones/unlocking/etc.

The choices I have are: use an AT&T rate plan OR use a Cingular rate plan (the sales guy offered to unlock the phone and reconfigure it to go Cingular, for $25).

Now, I'm not sure of the differences beyond reading the literature. I figure i'll be using a media plan a fair bit to access movie times, email, epinions.com, check pricing, the odd IM, etc. I'm really not sure how much in terms of MB I need.

So, would those of you with more SMT and carrier experience inform me of the pros and cons of Cingular plans vs. AT&T plans?

Also, with a 2 year plan, I can get the phone for $250. Is that a fair price?

This is my first phone, also, so anything a newbie might miss, please let me know. I'm hoping to replace a lot of my PDA's functionality with the SMT.

Speaking of which, I'd really like to be able to track my expenses and know what's in my bank account. Any software for that available?

Thanks a lot, and may all your bars be full!

Vrylakos

Guest Vrylakos
Right now with Amazon.com, you can get the SMT 5600 for free after rebates. 

I bought mine at the AT&T store, I think I'm going to go back and try to negotiate a better price, since I'm still in the 30 day test period.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...ance&s=wireless

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, right now, I can get it via Amazon, but the plans are all AT&T. I *think* I want a cingular plan, but I'm not sure if I can get the plan switched over to a cingular plan after getting the phone from Amazon.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Vrylakos

Guest nickcornaglia

Buy the phone thru AT&T for $25.00 or free from Amazon.

Unlock the phone using http://www.c500-unlock.com/

Cingular will let you switch over to a Cingular plan for $18.00.

Cingular employees are not allowed to tell you how to unlock phones. That's why it's hard to get an employee to talk about it. Unusally the store managers have no problem with it.

I had a 5600 bought thru AT&T and did the above with no trouble at all. I even provided the store manager with a list of instructions for converting the phone to Cingular in case there were any other buyers looking to do the same process.

Guest Vrylakos

Cingular employees are not allowed to tell you how to unlock phones. That's why it's hard to get an employee to talk about it. Unusally the store managers have no problem with it.

I had a 5600 bought thru AT&T and did the above with no trouble at all. I even provided the store manager with a list of instructions for converting the phone to Cingular in case there were any other buyers looking to do the same process.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had heard that doing so voids the phone's warranty. Is this true? Or is it true regardless of whether Cingular does it or not?

Also, you have to send in your second month's ATT bill to get the big discount on the phone (reducing it to free) - I wonder if a Cingular bill would count or if they're going to be pissy about it...

Thanks for your advice! I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to do, but it's goo dto be armed with info!

Vrylakos

• 1 month later...
Guest trader47

I have the Audiovox 5600 and it's a great phone. Still having problems connecting to the internet. Any ideas? can someone send me the instructions or post them. I used some I found but it's still not connecting. Help.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest abatis

Some mentioned warranty. Checking the Audiovox site I saw this for the SMT5600

"All Audiovox Cellular Phones are warranteed for 12 months from date of purchase. If proof of purchase is not enclosed, Audiovox Service will determine by the manufacturer's date of the unit whether or not it will be covered under warranty."

Seems like as long as your phone is not over a year old you have a shot at warranty no matter what carrier your using or where you bought the phone.

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...oductId=&brand=