MPX220 and WAV/mp3 ringtones

Guest benjytrainer

Guest benjytrainer

Hello y'all

I've finally got my hands on an MPX220, and have been running some (lots) of tests on it .... quirky little beast, that's for sure !

Anyway, the one thing that I was looking for some input on from other owners is a difference in volume between WAV/MP3 ringtones.

(for those who are waiting to get this handset, it seems that we are now natively supporting MP3, rather than WAV - you'll see why in a minute )

-- WAV ringtones ( 22.050 KHz, mono ) play VERY loud - in fact, without volume reduction, enough to distort the speaker

-- MP3 ringtones ( at any of 128/160/192 kbps stereo ) play VERY quietly - in fact, you can barely hear them !

Note : this is not a profile volume ringer issue - I have the setting on LOUD already, so as to manage straight comparison

This difference is disconcerting for a number of reasons :

(1) Different filetypes of the same "genre" shouldn't have such a wide response difference on the handset - i.e. they should be approx same volume

(2) There is no gating on WAV playback, hence easy for you to mash your speaker

(3) WAV codec appears to be poor on the MPX220 - lots of hiss can be heard

(4) Speaker on MPX220 is not as big or capable as MPX200

(5) WAV files don't appear to have a native "open with" association - mp3 files do

--> So, here's the question - has anyone else experienced QUIET mp3 playback, versus LOUD WAV playback. It would be nice to use MP3, as for the same clip the MP3 file at 192kbps is approx half the size of the WAV, and clearer when encoded.

Let me know what you guys think !

benj :D

Guest RabanJr

I experienced the same thing. I found that if you use .WMA versus the .MP3 you will get the louder ringtone playback. .WAV is nice but takes up way too much space.

Allan

• 2 weeks later...
Guest arogntbastrd

There's a post about that on here somewhere or other. The jist of it is to get an mp3 to wav converter. The guy recommended audacity which I found works nice for this and is free. Upload your mp3, select a 30 second or so chunk of it and under file, export selection as wav. Then open up sound recorder which is under start/all programs/accessories/entertainment and load your 30 sec wav file. Under file select properties, then convert. Pick something like 24 hz 16 bit mono. That will solve the "wavs are too big" problem. As far as the volume, I haven't really had the issue of them being TOO loud but sound recorder has an option to increase and decrease the volume of the clip. Your best bet is to play around with the volume level individually for each ringtone you make, see how it sounds on the phone and set it however you want it. If you do it this way your ringtone will play loud and it will only be about 1.3 mb.

Guest jleecong
If you do it this way your ringtone will play loud and it will only be about 1.3 mb.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is one huge ringtone.

I edit as MP3s then convert to WMA (64KBPS 9.1 Pro). Average file is about 250K.

Here are a few I created.

http://wap.x2-hosting.com/downloads/Ringtones/

32KBPS Also works well depending on the song and will give you file sizes of about 125KB.

Guest RuBiCaNT5X
That is one huge ringtone.

I edit as MP3s then convert to WMA (64KBPS 9.1 Pro). Average file is about 250K.

Here are a few I created.

http://wap.x2-hosting.com/downloads/Ringtones/

32KBPS Also works well depending on the song and will give you file sizes of about 125KB.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How is the loudness with WMA's vs MP3? I have noticed my MP3's are a tad on the weak side in terms of volume too...

Guest arogntbastrd

I tried using a wma from my computer and it wouldn't play. I also checked out the wma files he had on the link and they wouldn't play either (from the settings menu under sounds, naturally betaplayer or windows media player would be able to open them). So if you use wma files as ringtones on your mpx and they're that small and they're as loud as a wav file then I'd definitely be interested to know how you go about that. also, yes, 1.3 kb is big compared to a 30 second clip of an mp3, but in terms of wav files that's pretty good. before that conversion in sound recorder the same clip is 5+ kb and if you really want to you could convert even further down to 16 kz 8 bit mono. that ends up being around 450 kb and still being loud. personally though I find them to be a little muffled for my taste. That's why I said it depends on the song and the person's personal taste.

Edited by arogntbastrd

Guest jleecong
How is the loudness with WMA's vs MP3?  I have noticed my MP3's are a tad on the weak side in terms of volume too...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WMAs are plenty loud. I haven't tried MP3 as my 5600 wont play them and I just got my MPx220 and am so used to using the smaller WMAs I never tried a MP3.

Guest jleecong
I tried using a wma from my computer and it wouldn't play. I also checked out the wma files he had on the link and they wouldn't play either (from the settings menu under sounds, naturally betaplayer or windows media player would be able to open them). So if you use wma files as ringtones on your mpx and they're that small and they're as loud as a wav file then I'd definitely be interested to know how you go about that. also, yes, 1.3 kb is big compared to a 30 second clip of an mp3, but in terms of wav files that's pretty good. before that conversion in sound recorder the same clip is 5+ kb and if you really want to you could convert even further down to 16 kz 8 bit mono. that ends up being around 450 kb and still being loud. personally though I find them to be a little muffled for my taste. That's why I said it depends on the song and the person's personal taste.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm guessing the "wma files he had on the link" are my files and those should work on your phone. I've used them on both my 5600 and 220 without problem. All ringtones are stored in Storage/Application Data/Sounds.

Check out dbpoweramp. Free tool for converting MP3,WMA,WAV.

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

Guest arogntbastrd

huh, i guess i'll mess around with it some more. that's where i put the files. and they show up under the sounds menu under settings but unlike the other sounds it won't preview it. thanks for the link for a wma converter. will that convert to mp3 also or just from? audacity, which is what i use right now needs a seperate little add on that i'm too lazy to d/l to convert to mp3.

Guest arogntbastrd

there's apparently a website which will take an mp3 from your computer and send it to you as a ringtone all for free. it's down right now (apparently the word is out and people are mobbing the site) so i can't try it out. i'm wondering what kind of format it'll send it to you as and how the volume will be on it. obviously for us lucky enough to have an mpx it isn't that big a deal to get a ringtone to your phone, but if the format they send it to you is nice it could cut through all this converting we're doing. might also come in handy if you don't have your data cable around.

the site's http://smashthetones.smashsworld.com/ if anyone tries it out post how the ringtone comes out.

Alright ... I'm in need of some help! Me and friend of mine both purchased MPs220's but we're both having the same ringtone problem (although he purchased his 300+ miles away). When attempting to use an Mp3 as phone or custom ringtone all we get is a single 'ding'. I'm storing mine on a miniSD card and he has his stored on the phone. I've converted a few Mp3's to 10 second wav files (22.050 KHz, mono) as a test and all I get is the same behavior. :frown:

Anyone seen this before?

Any help is appreciated. [-o<

Guest arogntbastrd

haven't seen this "beep" before. i'm assuming you know to store the ringtones in storage/application data/sounds. will the ringtones/wav files you're trying to make open in media player? mayhaps you're using license protected content, that's the only experience i've had with putting a file on there and it not playing. if that's the case there's a thread about license protected music you can see to remedy that. when my phone's doing something i don't think it should be doing i just reset it. give that a try. otherwise then there's no reason why an mp3 or a wav file shouldn't play as a ringtone, especially if it opens in media player

haven't seen this "beep" before. i'm assuming you know to store the ringtones in storage/application data/sounds. will the ringtones/wav files you're trying to make open in media player? mayhaps you're using license protected content, that's the only experience i've had with putting a file on there and it not playing. if that's the case there's a thread about license protected music you can see to remedy that. when my phone's doing something i don't think it should be doing i just reset it. give that a try. otherwise then there's no reason why an mp3 or a wav file shouldn't play as a ringtone, especially if it opens in media player

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not sure what was going on, but reset seems to have done the trick!

Thx arogntbastrd. :lol: