Moto: MPX220 delayed until Q2 2005 for UK

Guest stevem999

Guest stevem999

Have been in e-mail conversation with Motorola about the availability of MPX220 in the UK. After some e-mails from them that were obviously false (i.e. A UK network has the 220 for sale, and they are already for sale direct from Moto/Dextra, both wrong), I have now received this bad news:

Dear *********,

Thank you for contacting Motorola.

In response to your question, The MPx 220 has been released to distributers,

however, it will not to available to the general public till the 2nd quarter of

For any further assistance or information please do not hesitate to

contact us again, quoting your Question Reference number.

Motorola Cellular Response Centre (UK)

:D

This sounds like bad news - what does 'released to distributors' mean, aren't the networks the distributors on a mass basis? If so, does this mean the networks have ditched it until Q2?

Guest hotphil

I'm a big fan of my SP2002 MPx200 and had been eagerly awaiting the 220. The longer the delay in seeing this widely released, the more I'm concerned that there's something majorly wrong with it. Last thing I want to do is end up with something as flawed as the original SPV that no amount of patching seems to get right.

Of course, the hold-ups could be of a non-technical or contractural nature I guess.

It's been SO long in coming now that I think I'll wait what HTC come out with to top the (excellent) C500.

Edited by hotphil

Guest stevem999
I'm a big fan om my SP2002 MPx200 and had been eagerly awaiting the 220. The longer the delay in seeing this widely released, the more I'm concerned that there's something majorly wrong with it. Last thing I want to do is end up with something as flawed as the original SPV that no amount of patching seems to get right.

Of course, the hold-ups could be of a non-technical or contractural nature I guess.

It's been SO long in coming now that I think I'll wait what HTC come out with to top the (excellent) C500.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you're possibly right, it's just that Moto are the only people to bring out a true flip smartphone (yes I know there's a Mitac but no BT or camera) - after the ROM updates in the States the phone seems to be getting good reviews now so why on earth can't a network over here run with it?

If HTC came out with a flip, I'd be there like a shot, but not even any rumours. If I'd known it would take this long I'd have got a C500 last year when my contract ran out and got an MPX220 this year and had a year of smartphone usage in between, instead of my old Nokia!

Guest flashflash
I think you're possibly right, it's just that Moto are the only people to bring out a true flip smartphone (yes I know there's a Mitac but no BT or camera) - after the ROM updates in the States the phone seems to be getting good reviews now so why on earth can't a network over here run with it?

If HTC came out with a flip, I'd be there like a shot, but not even any rumours. If I'd known it would take this long I'd have got a C500 last year when my contract ran out and got an MPX220 this year and had a year of smartphone usage in between, instead of my old Nokia!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really cant get my head round this delay now... Ive been following this from August last year. I have a Mpx200 and dont want anything else from a flip phone. However, this

delay is getting beyond a joke now.. I was fed up with the story that Orange wene not going to release this model, so was prepared to move to O2. Then came the news O2 will be delayed, then Vodafone was going to release in Feb.. its goes on and on.... On a serious note, this phone must be out of date now, even before its released. Im starting to be temped in going back to a non smartphone with a flip, cos I cant wait anymore!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Guest Jaideco
I really cant get my head round this delay now... Ive been following this from August last year. I have a Mpx200 and dont want anything else from a flip phone. However, this 

delay is getting beyond a joke now.. I was fed up with the story that Orange wene not going to release this model, so was prepared to move to O2. Then came the news O2 will be delayed, then Vodafone was going to release in Feb.. its goes on and on.... On a serious note, this phone must be out of date now, even before its released. Im starting to be temped in going back to a non smartphone with a flip, cos I cant wait anymore!! :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Humph!

I've been following this phone since last April, at the time I was considering the 6600 but I decided to wait for the mpx... oh dear.

I agree with your comment about it being out of date, I'm already seeing comments about the camera being inadequate and with Samsung releasing a 5mp camera phone it looks like Moto are being left behind.

Anyone got any ideas what else might be coming out soon that might be worth looking at as an alternative? Preferably clam shell, 2+ mp camera, bluetooth, tri/quad band and ms operating system compulsory.

Regards.

J

• 2 months later...
Guest uzumaki_79

Let me start at the beginning:

There were two companies here in North America, AT&T wireless and Cingular, both independent of each other. About 4 months ago, someone at AT&T thought it would be cool to begin offering phones that were new and hip (and had existed overseas for quite some time already), but weren't available here in North America.

They offered the SMT5600 (similar/same as the Orange SPV as far as I know), which I jumped on as soon as I could find it... Two months later, AT&T no longer sells the phone and has been acquired by the other company [Cingular]. BUT--Early on, say a month back, Cingular was offering the MPx220 with Windows Mobile 2003, and had been over a span of a few months but recently stopped... check this out though...

I just found a notice from Motorola saying that Cingular customers with the MPx220 can sign up for a notification when the update for their version of Windows Mobile (maybe 2005?) will be available, but there is no clear explanation on what's going to change. This was accompanied by an option for non-customers to be notified when the new MPx220 becomes available, with update...

wishy washy!

Humph!

I've been following this phone since last April, at the time I was considering the 6600 but I decided to wait for the mpx... oh dear.

I agree with your comment about it being out of date, I'm already seeing comments about the camera being inadequate and with Samsung releasing a 5mp camera phone it looks like Moto are being left behind.

Anyone got any ideas what else might be coming out soon that might be worth looking at as an alternative? Preferably clam shell, 2+ mp camera, bluetooth, tri/quad band and ms operating system compulsory.

Regards.

J

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest hotphil

I did see a post that someone had bought a 220 of eBay and found that a MS employee had flashed it with 2005 (MS had an internal website that employees could do this from). I think the post mentioned that it ran quite slowly (tried to search for the post again but no joy - might be worth a read). If it ran like a dog on 220 it'd surely be doubtful that the networks would release a ROM update to upgrade a 220 to run 2005 (I guess).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.