Slightly OT, But O2 now doing their 3G phones etc.

Guest shadamehr

Guest shadamehr

Forgive me for two reasons folks - a) if this is old news, but can't see it anywhere else on here, and :D for it being somewhat Off Topic as it's not strictly Smartphone news. But I take a general view that now that O2 are offering 3G, it MUST honestly only be a matter of time before we do see true 3G Windows SmartPhones.

Else why have the best featured handsets, if they don't work on the supposedly best featured network technology?

Anyhow...

"O2 are now advertising and selling 3G handsets and tariffs on their website"

Very limited range, and the tariffs include NOTHING extra/special, other than video calls being the same as voice, but at least it's here. A decidedly quiet launch, to say the least...

Source: O2 Website

Guest shadamehr

Feel free to add comment on how long we'll wait for a 3G SmartPhone.

By all means re-open the debate that has already raged *lol*

But I mean come on, honestly, how long CAN MS/HTC/Networks hang on without a ready and available 3G SmartPhone, once all the UK nets have 3G???

The nets will be bending over backwards in the months to come, to try and move as many customers as possible to 3G tariffs on renewal, and encourage new custom to opt for 3G.

How can they do this with a smartphone, if there are no 3G smartphones.

I'm NOT commenting on how good or otherwise 3G itself is.

But I DO make the point that if 3G is the here and now in the eyes of the networks, this WILL dictate SmartPhone design for the future, surely???

Comments?

Guest hotphil

Oh, and as for the need for 3G - it's great if you're sending/receiving large amount of data but if all you're doing is emailing, browsing and instant messaging the latency in the networks (in my experience) means that 2.5G is as quick (if not quicker).

Guest chucky.egg

I have to agree that the performance isn't all that great, and as Video calls are of no interest to me, the only point would be the better speeds.

For now I'll settle for more functionality in the handset and slower speeds.

I think it'll be some time before coverage extends to the point that it's consistent, and so until then a 2G Smartphone is the best choice for me.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

I'd say its a pretty big step that video minutes are the same price as voice. No other carrier offers that. I couldnt see anything confirming it on the O2 website though?

Guest shadamehr
I'd say its a pretty big step that video minutes are the same price as voice.  No other carrier offers that.  I couldnt see anything confirming it on the O2 website though?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Mono - check out the tariffs page on O2:

http://shop.o2.co.uk/cgi-bin/o2uk/jsp/tari...NLINE:200:GROUP

Where it says: "Video Calls3 - Same charges as voice calls"

BUT..... before we get too excited, look what I found somewhere totally unrelated...

http://www.o2.co.uk/videocalling?ref=hpmod3img

Which says near the bottom:

"From 1 April 2005, video calls to O2 mobile will be charged at 65p per minute at all time and excluded from the monthly allowance"

Now THAT'S very different indeed, and not only is it a bit of a con, in that you have to look very carefully, in a completly different place to spot this so most people won't know and think this is a great deal, but it also means that O2's 3G packages are not only MUCH worse than the other networks (think Orange's early adopter 3G deals), they are little or no different to O2's existing 2G tariffs!

It's also fair to say, that in the first thing I referred to that says Video calls are the same as voice calls, it has one of this little superscript number 3's, that mean "read in conjuction with the disclaimer at the bottom", BUT, all the disclaimer says is that suitable handsets will be required. Surely THAT'S where it should have mentioned this offer expires come April?

PURE mess O2 methinks, and a CRAP 3G deal, launch, and con to boot!

Guest chucky.egg

Er, that's confused me!

So until the 1st April you get Video Calls at the same rate as your voice calls, and from then on you have to pay 65p/m, but what do you pay for Video Calls to other networks?

Orange do something similar, but I can't see what rate you pay for Video Calls anywhere:

Free video calling and data with all 3G phones

When you buy a 3G phone before the end of April 2005 we'll give you free video calling and data, the amount you get depending on the monthly plan you buy:

Up to 400 minutes a month - 30 minutes of free video calling and up to 1000MB data per month for 3 months

400 minutes a month or more - 60 minutes of free video calling every month for twelve months and up to 1000MB data per month for 3 months.

Ah, found it (in the smallest of small print):

http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/3g

Once you've used your free video minutes and data, standard out of bundle costs apply - 50p per MB data or 50p per minute for Video Calling.

Which is fair enough, but there don't seem to be any bundles - so you'll always be on "out of bundle" prices after your first 30/60 mins

Guest xenophobe

I thought I read Vodafone Australia was testing 3G, but went to their website and didn't see it. I know I was there last night and saw it somewhere though... weird.

How can they do this with a smartphone, if there are no 3G smartphones.

There's smartphones available, just not Smartphones.

What interests me in 3G, isn't the speed but the data prices. Orange are now offering 1GB of free data usage for 3 months if you sign up to a new contract!

Guest davidato2cwmbran

o2's 3g launch was the 1/2/5, its trying to keep low key to avoid the same mess as when they launched MMS.

Current 3g coverage is only 32% it focuses on parts with high gprs usage but will be 50% by june and all parts covered by 2007.

Keep an eye on an I-Mode launch to!

The XDA III is planned for launch later this year and will be a WM platformed device with 3g but no smartphones are on portfolio just yet.

3g tariffs will remain the same as voice until 1st April when a new set of calling plans will be set out.

you may be interested to know that o2 are testing DVB-H on mobile devices such as the Nokia 7710 so we all can watch telly on our phones!

a little bitta inside info there..................dont tell the boss!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.