ROM update for the Cingular MPx220

Guest squall

Motorola have just released there first official rom update for any smartphone.

This update is intended for Cingular MPx220 customers, and breaks the trend set by other phone manufacturers / networks (mainly htc/orange) in that the rom update is available from the manufacturer, not the network.

To check whether your phone currently has the latest rom go to “Start”, “Settings”, “About”. Scroll down to “manufacturer“ to verify your software version. If you have 1.30.0.0, you are at the latest software version. There is no need to proceed with the update.

The update comes with a powerful backup tool which will back up the following

• Time & Date

• SMS Inbox

• Ringtone & sound settings

• Java Midlet installation packages

• Pocket Internet Explorer Favourites

• Home Screen and Images including current homescreen

• Files in \storage\application data\home

• Files in \storage\home\my documents

• Calender & Contacts (Not recommended if you use ActiveSync synchronisation as duplication of these items may occur)

Please see < HERE > for more information, and to download the update. Be sure to fully charge your phone before running the update.

What sucks is, I've been dying to say something for a couple weeks about it. I knew for sure it was coming but didn't know the date. What I don't know is, will this update the AT&T MPx220 to Cingular FW or will it say it's not compatible?

What's cool about this, is it appears that after initial FW tests by Motorola/Cingular, they will show up on the website almost immediately.

Also, I have to hand it to Motorola for not only releasing a FW update, but also for including a backup utility that backs EVERYTHING up (uncluding JAVA apps). SWEEEEET.

-Mc

p.s. I'm still waiting for the apology from lutzh who not only said we'd never see a downloadable update, he said after the initial .325 FW, we'd never see *ANY* update. He was the authority on all things cell phones, remember. Uh oh, I just invoked his name again.

the update utility is a big step forward.

Orange played with a backup util a while back (for e200 i think) but it was very unreliable.

Interesting to see the update comes from motorola and not the network, i had heard this may be the case but its still very different to what normally happens with WM smartphones

But when is Moto going to really address the volume issue my MPx220 came with FW1.3.0.0 (if you use the code to enter the hidden info its really 1.03.0)?

I almost forgot what about MAC users (which I may soon become one) are they left out in the cold since the update tool is for MS OS only?

Edited by ppcmd

Guest gphillips

I have a black MPX220 (see mu posts as I STILL have no idea what is going on with the MMS) which I am using in the UK. I purchased it from the USA and it was for the AT&T network as it had an AT&T startup screen, and MMode icons all over it.

I have gotten rid of all of this stuff but I am so stressed out about my MMS (everything else is GREAT) that I decided to try this update. I download it, and it checks the device but then fails saying unsuppprted device.

Any idea if an update may be released for "generic" device? - Or even better an update for any device to make it generic?

Guest jbyrkit

After trying the update a few times, I read the part in the beginning about the smartphone wireless modem. After I got that installed, the update went fine,

EXCEPT

after I finished, I noticed cleartype was off (I had it on before), so I went to

turn it back on and there is no menu item to turn it back on!

strt->settings>9>9>phone

cleartype not there!

Guest gphillips

I assume the update wont work for me as my handset isnt a "Singulair" devide. Its AT&T. the updater checked my phone, then failed at the "Ontaining Device Information" stage with the "Your Phone is not a supported Device" message.

Do you think I get this because the updater is checking if my handset is from Singulair, or is this the error you were getting before fixing your smartphone wireless modem driver?

THanks

Guest stemill

The firmware version on my mpx220 is 1.110.0.0 (i think its from hong kong).

The update seems to think this does not need upgrading.

I've had no probs with handset volume etc. but the camera picture quality is far below what i was expecting. I suspect (hope!) that an rom update would improve the picture quality.

Anybody have a similar issue or know a way to force this update over my existing rom??

Guest squirrel
After trying the update a few times, I read the part in the beginning about the smartphone wireless modem. After I got that installed, the update went fine,

EXCEPT

after I finished, I noticed cleartype was off (I had it on before), so I went to

strt->settings>9>9>phone

cleartype not there!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just tried updating a few times and keep getting the same error at the end of Update #1. Something like:

DL Fail: FlashLoader Stage, 0x4010

Anyone else seeing this?

:?:

Guest stemill

EXCEPT

strt->settings>9>9>phone

cleartype not there!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To turn on cleartype you need to use PHM Registry editor (get it free from http://www.phm.lu/Products/Smartphone/RegEdit/)

and alter the following key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE ->

Control Panel ->

MainLCD ->

Clear Type

Change value from 0 to 1.

Just wish I could force the update over my 1.110.0.0 rom!

Guest jbyrkit
To turn on cleartype you need to use PHM Registry editor (get it free from http://www.phm.lu/Products/Smartphone/RegEdit/)

and alter the following key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE ->

Control Panel ->

MainLCD ->

Clear Type

Change value from 0 to 1.

Just wish I could force the update over my 1.110.0.0 rom!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks! I wonder why it dissapeared off the menu? I remember a "selling point" being cleartype, but the average consumer isn't going to be able to use it?

I'm wondering if all you guys with non-Cingular versions used a Cingular phone to start the backup could finish the FW flash on the AT&T phone. I wish I had an AT&T phone here to test it on...

Guest stemill

There must be a way to trick the utility into downloading the rom and then putting the phone into a bootloader state to force the new rom in.

Anyone got any ideas?

Guest revmoola
I just tried updating a few times and keep getting the same error at the end of Update #1.  Something like:

Anyone else seeing this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, I've seen it. That error will tend to be USB-related. Try removing all "Smartphone 2002" modems from your Phones & Modems list, and/or a different USB port. Then - before running the update tool at all (but after installing it) - plug your MPx220 in with no battery and wait for Found New Hardware to kick off. If it doesn't then there's still a USB foul-up somewhere. If it does, then let Found New Hardware find the driver automatically. If at the end of the process you see a Windows bubble saying something like "your USB device has malfunctioned" then the tool will fail when it gets to the ROM flashing stage.

Guest shaunarundell

I have tried to apply the update 3 times and each time it has failed.

I got through all the steps, making sure the modem is installed correctly (even removed the old modem, and installed from sctratch) backing up etc but when the update utility gets to the applying updates section, it gets 3/4 the ways through the applying update 1 dialog, with "Start supspend sleep" in the deatils sections and then I start getting "USB deivice not recognized messages" from my pc device manager and and the following message from the update "Warning: the time taken to apply the system update to your MPX220 has exceeded the expected limits". I can leave it here for hours and nothing further happens and I have to cancel the update.

Any ideas ?

Also, when I first start the update utility, it take about 5 minutes for it to start. Is this normal behavour ?

Shaun

I just tried updating a few times and keep getting the same error at the end of Update #1.  Something like:

Anyone else seeing this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Follow the instructions, install the driver and you wont get the message any more

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Paraklas
I'm wondering if all you guys with non-Cingular versions used a Cingular phone to start the backup could finish the FW flash on the AT&T phone. I wish I had an AT&T phone here to test it on...
I'm expecting an AT&T mpx220 to arrive at my place this week or during the next week so I'll test it and let you know..

There must be a way to trick the utility into downloading the rom and then putting the phone into a bootloader state to force the new rom in.

Anyone got any ideas?

Please if someone has found some way, share it with us!! cause I'll kill myself if the update doesn't work

Guest xnghiax
I unlocked it. Seems I have version 0.343. The motorola update utility says that there are no new updates for me..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you or anyone have the MPx220 "update utility" downloaded on your pc? If so would you mind sending me a copy of it. Thanks in advance!!!!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.