SPV C500 Dust Problem Petition

Guest stevewooding

Guest stevewooding

Folks,

I'm on my 3rd SPV C500 handset from Orange (1 stuck in headset mode, 1 had a faulty keypad), and the dust problem is STILL occuring, and Orange STILL class it as a cosmetic issue. :evil:

So, instead of wasting a few more hours on the phone to them, I've placed a petition online at

http://www.petitiononline.com/spvc500/petition.html

If you'd like to take a look and if you agree with the sentiment and contents, please sign it. I'll be sending an email to Orange to make them aware of its existence and, as more signatures come in, I'll email them with updates too.

Let's see if we can get results this way.

Steve

Guest stevewooding

Yep - seen it but there's no 'screen dust' type fault, and (to be blunt) since an Orange customer's contract of sale is with Orange, not the manufacturer, it's Orange's responsibility in law to sort out the problem. Also, I've no intention of being without my phone for however long it takes to be sent to them, repaired and sent back again (up to 2 weeks I'm told)

As far as I've been able to find out a 'faulty display' does NOT include dust ingress - Orange still class this as a 'cosmetic issue'

Steve.

Guest stevewooding

Whilst I can understand their 'letter of the law' stance and the fact that it might cost a bit to replace faulty handsets, I do NOT understand their tolerance of launching an obviously faulty product onto the market and then trying to sidestep their responsibilities to their loyal customers (and perhaps willingness to lose them).

As I said, I've had two handsets replaced so far, all by courier within 24 hours of me reporting the fault - that's the kind of service Orange is capable of, so why not with this fault too?

They're also a large enough company to be able to exhert a little pressure on HTC to address this fault.

Steve

Guest chucky.egg

I too have a fair(?!) amount of dust getting under the screen, and I don't want to send my phone off for 2 weeks to be cleaned without the problem actually being solved.

It's not a major gripe, but it is annoying me, so I've signed

Guest stevewooding

Ta! The more who sign, the more action is likely. The PetitionOnline format has worked well in the past, even getting responses and apologies from Microsoft and CNN amongst other industry giants.

So, pass the URL of the petition on to all the other SPV C500 owners you know with the same problem and lets see how many we can get!

Steve

The dust problem on SPV C500 is equivalent to having a crappy car door and getting water in when it's raining. It doesn't impede the use of the car as a vehicle, but it lowers the value of the car because of the discomfort. You paid the money for the car knowing that it was good, but you wouldn't have paid the same amount knowing about the fault. It's just lying about the features of a product to sell it at a higher price than it's worth! They should advertise it as it is: great phone, great functions, awsome battery life, with the "small" inconvenience of dust under the screen. :lol:

About the petition, I would help, but I avoid filling in my e-mail address on unknown sites - I hate spam. Maybe it would be good to make a poll here as a petition, as all the people here trust modaco.

Guest stevewooding

Good idea - I've set up a poll at http://www.modaco.com/index.php?act=ST&f=61&t=200490.

However, just to assure those who're worried about email spam, PetitionOnline have now taken steps to avoid email harvesting by NOT publishing email address details on live web pages though they do need them for legal reasons I think (validation of the signee's identity). They also do NOT give out or sell email lists (see http://www.petitiononline.com/privacy-pets.html) They are funded by advertising and do use cookies (which can be easily circumvented by tweaking your browser settings)

And thanks to those who've already signed the petition (into double figures after less than 24 hours!)

Steve

I know it's a pain as I have have suffered from it too, but Orange replaced mine on the dust fault. I do have Orange care, I don't know if that makes a difference as to why they replaced it.

Guest stevewooding
I know it's a pain as I have have suffered from it too, but Orange replaced mine on the dust fault.  I do have Orange care, I don't know if that makes a difference as to why they replaced it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds like you're one of the fortunate few - I've got Orange care too and they've so far refused to replace mine. Perhaps I'll call them (again!) and see where that gets me..?

Steve

Guest jporch316

Havent got Orange Care - but that shouldnt affect the warranty. If you buy a brand new car with a fault - the manufacturers are obliged to recall them to the nearest dealer to rectify.

Oh - i am signature no 50 - Have i won a prize!

Guest stevewooding

Great! 50 signatures already and it's only been online for 2 days! I don't have a prize to give you though... :lol:

I wonder if we can reach 100 - keep spreading the word to everyone you know with the same problem. I've emailed Orange to point them to the petition and to let them know it's gathering momentum, and as another user suggested I emailed BBC's Watchdog too. 8)

Steve

Guest stevewooding

UPDATE:

95 signatures and couting, and this morning I got a call from Orange - the executive office have appointed someone to do a proper investigation into this problem (although they did say they've not heard of it before :?: - though if their system doesn't class this as a fault, they won't have!)

This person has called me twice already and took quite a few details and has the URLs of some of the modaco.com discussions and the online petition too. They've already contacted the engineers who're now actively pursuing the problem (they even wanted to know about the DIY solutions people on this forum have used!)

So, finally, it seems we're beginning to get somewhere now we've got their attention!

Steve

Guest stevewooding

Well, this is the first time I've spoken to someone from the executive office rather than a just a customer service rep who has to obey the screen in front of them.

Maybe the daily emails to four of their main addresses since Sunday updating them on the progress of the discussion and the petition did it? :lol:

Steve