Orange SPV C500 Dust problem ONLINE POLL

Guest stevewooding

Guest stevewooding

As a response to a post on the Topic of " SPV C500 Dust Problem Petition" (http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=200383) about some concerns over email privacy if they sign the online petition, I'm putting up this poll to find out what Modaco readers think even if they've not signed the online petition (http://www.petitiononline.com/spvc500/petition.html)

Steve

Guest chucky.egg

What about the option "Orange should find a solution (with HTC) and fix my handset"

I don't expect a new one because it'll almost certainly have the same problem.. I want it fixed really.

Guest stevewooding

Well, I'd kind of assumed that was a given though perhaps a while away - it doesn't sort out the problem people are currently having NOW. Maybe I should've been more explicit?

Ta for the continued interest tho!

Steve

Guest xenophobe

I didn't sign the online petition because online petitions are worthless. You'll get far more milage from your statment if you physically mail them a complaint.

As for the problem, it should be fixed by the Manufacturer.

They should allow you to do a DIY fix approved by the manufacturer, if you're willing to accept voiding any possible future warranty repair at no cost....

Well, I went with the HTC solution - as Orange aren't always the supplier and I don't see why those who bought the phone from a dealer should be penalised for doing so!!!!

Hope that makes sense!?

Guest stevewooding
I didn't sign the online petition because online petitions are worthless.  You'll get far more milage from your statment if you physically mail them a complaint. 

As for the problem, it should be fixed by the Manufacturer.

They should allow you to do a DIY fix approved by the manufacturer, if you're willing to accept voiding any possible future warranty repair at no cost....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My point of view differs from yours in that from my exerience letters rarely reach the right person in an organisation the size of Orange (Unless you have a specific name, which I have tried to get on several occasions from Orange customer services and get a standard "I'm sorry, we're not allowed to give out specific names over the phone"). I've tried mail and phone over the last few months and got nowhere on this (despite some really good service when I've had problems that DO fall under the 'true fault' class on their automated system.)

Also, I'm curious as to what your evidence is that all online petitions are worthless? PetitionOnline has hosted some VERY successful petitions in the past. There are always worthless ones too used for trivial matters or odd items, but each petition should be treated and viewed on its own merit, not automatically assumed worthless.

Steve

Guest stevewooding
Well, I went with the HTC solution - as Orange aren't always the supplier and I don't see why those who bought the phone from a dealer should be penalised for doing so!!!!

Hope that makes sense!?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is of course your choice, but there's no reason at all why I could have to pay £15 and wait for up to a fortnight for my phone to be cleaned and then wait and see if the same problem reoccurs (as I think it has done for some other readers here).

Orange are the supplier so my contract is with them, not HTC. If I there is a fault with the handset Orange have supplied me with the responsibility in law is theirs to sort out (with HTC if necessary). As I've repeatedly said I've had no problem where their automated systems tell the guy/gal on the customer service line that it's OK to replace my phone - I've had two replaced so far. My issue is that the dust problem is chronic and a design flaw, not a 'cosmetic issue'.

Steve

Edited by stevewooding

Guest Terry21uk

Surely the fault must lay with HTC, after all they built the bloody thing and they must know about the dust problem. They should have sorted this out ages ago. If anyone knows of a DIY fix they done themselfs lets here about it

Guest stevewooding
Surely the fault must lay with HTC, after all they built the bloody thing and they must know about the dust problem. They should have sorted this out ages ago. If anyone knows of a DIY fix they done themselfs lets here about it

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Both Orange and HTC share the blame in this. HTC for leaving in such a glaring design flaw and Orange for supplying an obviously flawed product.

As someone pointed out on the online petition, Orange test the devices they brand as Orange phones for longer than many other suppliers so have had more than adequate time to sort this out with HTC. And, as HTC do not sell directly, needing suppliers like Orange, iMate, T-Mobile and Audiovox to sell through, the suppliers should not have let a flawed device reach the market especially given the potential effect it might have on their brand.

Oh, and there is a good DIY fix on Modaco - it's in a Word document and I can't find it at the moment...

Steve

Edited by stevewooding

I've had my C500 since just before Christmas and I've just stated experiencing the issue with dust under the screen.

At first I thought my screen was starting to fail with pixels randomly dying (I suppose that would have been a better reason to get a replacement), until they started moving.

Here is the document mentioned earlier in this thread.

Not sure if I would attempt this 'de-dusting' process... I would be much happier if HTC could fix it and supply Orange with a batch of upgrades to pass on to us.

Edited by cubik

Guest gazbert

The C500 is VERY popular in my office. Probably cos we're all techies and love gadgets. Anyway, one of the guys had the dust problem recently.

He contacted Orange who advised he contact HTC and gave the the number and address.

HTC acknowledged that it was an issue with poorly sealed screens and that it had now been rectified. Then they told him to send them his phone and they fixed it for free. Problem solved, and they even replaced his scratched battery cover.

Guest stevewooding

Great but odd - according to a phone call I got from Orange this morning, HTC don't know about this problem!

A rep from Orange has called my twice so far today to take details and the URLs of some of the discussions here - apparently the Orange engineers are now on the case with HTC to get it sorted out.

It's a shame your friend had to send his phone back - I've had two replaced by courier within 24 hours with other faults and I'd like the same to happen here too - a replacement with the design flaw sorted rather than lose my phone for 5-14 days.

Steve.