XDA 2i?

Guest HaZarD

This is just a question to the moderators, but are you going to make a forum for the HTC Alpine (XDA 2i) any time soon now that it had been released?

HaZarD

Guest Chaser81

Not wanting to annoy or upset anyone here, but does it really deserve a seperate forum?

The Alpine is essentially exactly the same as the XDA II but with better camera, faster processor and newer OS, right? I mean, even the chassis is the same and it doesnt have WiFi, right? Are there enough significant differences to justify a whole new section?

Guest Pondrew

Hmmm... I understood it DID have wifi.

And I'd have to say that the different processor (and I think more memory) makes it an entirely different device. We're not talking a different shell, you're right, but we are talking about entirely new rom/os/processor/memory/wifi(?) etc. If the HTC Alpine was a derivative of the HTC Himalya I'd agree (like the HTC Typhoon to the HTC Feeler) but there are far more differences...

Guest Chaser81

I wouldnt say FAR more differences, though you are correct, it does have wifi. I just had a look at this comparison and I have to say I'm not really impressed. One GSM band less, a smaller battery, no keyboard, 10g lighter and with slightly more memory. It really doesnt seem like enough of a difference to warrant a whole new sub-forum does it? I mean, anyone who has one will surely find whatever answers to any questions they have in either the Jam or Blue Angel sections right? I mean, they ARE the same OS after all.

I just think that if we have an Alpine sub-forum, all there is going to be in it is people posting repeats of questions that have already been asked in either the Jam or Blue Angel sections.

Still, I suppose it aint up to us anyways, have to leave it to the mods.

Guest Pondrew

True about the mods having decide, and I suspect the lack of a new section suggests they're thinking along similar lines to you.

BUT... I wouldn't play down the differences in the XDAIIi.

The differences I know of are...

better processor (520mhz, as opposed to 400mhz)

wifi

1.3mega pixel camera

and most important of all, I'm afraid you're mistaken in suggesting it's the same os. The XDAIIi runs a WHOLE NEW OPERATING SYSTEM in Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition.

I just don't think that putting XDAIIi queries in the XDAII section is a good idea as they're different operating systems AND different hardware. And while the Blue Angel and Magician may have similarities in operating system, these are different devices hardware wise.

Edited by Pondrew

Guest Chaser81
and most important of all, I'm afraid you're mistaken in suggesting it's the same os. The XDAIIi runs a WHOLE NEW OPERATING SYSTEM in Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Uh, maybe I am just thick but thats what the I-Mate Jam and Blue Angel use isnt it...?

Edit: Nope, I was right. Just checked Microsoft's web site. The Jam uses WM2003SE as well.

Edit Number 2: ...And I just checked O2's site and the XDAIIs uses WM2003SE as well, so really its NOT A WHOLE NEW OPERATING SYSTEM but the same one as the two existing devices we're contrasting it to.

Edited by Chaser81

Guest Pondrew

:lol: Sorry mate, my point was that the XDAIIi should NOT be discussed in the XDAII section.

So your argument is that the XDAIIi should be discussed in the Blue Angel or Magician section?! :?:

Please forgive the use of capitals, just a habit I've got into lately for emphasis. Didn't mean to shout! :oops:

Edited by Pondrew

Guest Chaser81
:lol: Sorry mate, my point was that the XDAIIi should NOT be discussed in the XDAII section.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah, okay, got ya.

So your argument is that the XDAIIi should be discussed in the Blue Angel or Magician section?!  :?:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why not? They have more in common than they have differences.

Please forgive the use of capitals, just a habit I've got into lately for emphasis. Didn't mean to shout!  :oops:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dont worry about it, just teasing you. :(

Guest Pondrew

It's funny actually because months ago I was involved in a very similar thread discussing whether the SDA/SP3i should get it's own forum but on that occasion I was the one arguing that no way should it get one! This time I can't help thinking that, as all devices have their bugs which tend to be model specific, a seperate forum might be a good idea.

Anyway, to end on a positive note, at least Windows Mobile can be seen to be going from strength to strength 8)

Oh, and anyone else just watched the excellent Six Feet Under double bill? Great tv...

Peace all and a good night.

Look, the parent area is called hardware specific. The IIi and the III aren't even remotely close, so this forum is a no-no, agreed?

On the other hand, the only real differences between the II and the IIi are:

* Faster

* Better camera

* WiFi

Now, the first two definately don't deserve a new forum. I can sort-of understand some folk saying the third deserves it, but I wouldn't say so myself.

Sure, the OS is different. I presume Modaco has separate OS sections as well? I wouldn't know, still not got my III yet!

Guest Pondrew

Never thought of it that way Fraser. Assumed that the rom differences would be almost as important as hardware differences and were discussed in the hardware specific area...

Anyway, assume from no new forum that MoDaCo are wanting folks to post in the XDAII section just from their not having created a new area.

Guest Chaser81

Could also be because not many people have popped up on here saying "Yay, I got an XDAIIi, where do I post?" So far there has only been, as far as I know, the guy who started this topic.

AFAIK, the only source of the IIi at the moment is direct from O2. Last I checked, no online verdors that I am familiar with (onestopphoneshop and e2save) had it.

So, I wouldn't expect many to be out there just now!! :lol: