How important is cheap GPRS to you?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest blowdart

I'd switch (and fast) considering the grief I've had with Orange GPRS billing.

However I'd also want a SMS telling me I am 10Mb, 5Mb and 1Mb away from the limit.

With remote control software 100Mb is not enough sometimes.

Guest adamski

Ihave just bought a SPV2000 and would LOVE cheaper gprs!

It is faster to get mails/browse the net on this 2.5g pda than my 3g (orange)phone.

ALTHOUGH... unless it was free and came with a kylie clone I would NOT touch anything with the 3 logo on it!!

Guest Motorola MPx-200

Hi,

Good Poll

It would depend, for me, on whether my inclusive minutes and texts were part of the bundle - currently £34 on orange for 200 anytime anynetwork mins, 500 anytime texts and 4mb (measley) gprs

Cheers! :lol:

:lol: I would be interested in a similar offer but it would have to be good value. At the moment I pay about £4.00 a month for Orange world, which has a 4mb download limit, or £10.00 for 10mb. So something like £5.00 for 25mb would be fine for me. I find that after surfing for about 15mins i get bored anyway. But it would be good to know that you have a decent download limit though.

Guest colin59

As mentioned already... I use txt & PC more than GPRS at the mo... but much of that does come down to cost... sort that out and you'd open up a whole new set of markets! Orange do currently run some GPRS deals with their Orange World stuff... but this deal would take all that on where it realised.

Sadly, I just agreed to new 12 monther with said fruity network to get my free C500. But if they offered this I would go for it!

:lol:

Colin

Guest xda-rocks

I'm on Orange and T-Mobile, both are expensive for GPRS.

T-Mobile busines cs told me yesterday that they are about to launch a Blackberry service with 50MB/month for £10 inc vat.

Orange is currently offering 1GB (yes Giga)/month for 3 months on 3g FOC and last month were offering 50MB/month for twelve months for FREE, but I found out on the last day of the month and missed that one.

I would definately go for a GPRS tariff of £10/month for 100MB

At the moment, I wouldn't take up the offer.

I've just cancelled my OW 4mb as I wasn't using it enough. I'm never far from a PC so if I want to surf or check emails, I'm covered.

The package does sound good value and if I needed to be able to use that much data I would definitely sign up. As for moving to another network, it's not that simple. You have to take into account line rental, call charges, network coverage, etc. But if they were ok, I would seriously consider moving provider to get it.

Guest Confucious
I would so definitely go for this in a heartbeat.

Just out of interest, I am sure I read on one of the forums the other day that t-mobile will be offering the Blackberry type service for the MDA III in the UK (hopefully next month) for £8.51 + vat per month. They also said it would include 50mb data. I don't know if that's a rumour or not, and I can't for the life of me find the post it was in either, or I would link to it...I promise. If that happens I will so be doing that.

I had a Blackberry for £10/month about 18 months ago and it had 100Mb limit which was supposed to reduce to 10mb at the end of Dec 2003 but didn't. 100Mb is effectively unlimited on a small screen device. The only thimng that "might" take you oTT is streaming video - I'm not vsure how much data the "TV" type programms are but it means I would not have to think about my browsing and could use my phone as it's meant to be used. If I'd known the cost of data on other networks I would not have given up my Blackberry account.

I would switch networks like a shot to get cheap data - I already have a contract with 3 for cheap voice (and I can sometimes actually make a call).

Guest TheEcSpec

I opted for 3G and wouldnt go back to GPRS.

Never mind vidoe calling, the blistering data transfer speeds have enhanced my life no end.

THANK YOU ORANGE!!!!!!!!!

Guest fraktal

I had free orange world for the first month and I used it so much...it as really hard the next month to cope without it. So much so that I racked up £30 worth of internet charges in the second month...

£10 a month is a very good deal, but as a poor student I don't know if I could afford it...

Guest TigerNet

...uh...in your car is probably GPS (Global Positioning Stuff or getting from A to :lol:...here we are talking about GPRS (General Packet Radio Stuff or data download)...

Guest 1T-M0nk3y

I would change network if it was to one where my phone didn't cut out constantly (T-Mobile), my voice calls didn't echo all the time (Orange), they didn't carry on trying to charge my bank account for months after I cancelled a contract (Vodaphone) and I didn't have no network coverage... ever (Three)

Sorry, not tried O2 yet!

:evil:

I agree with Sam - because of cost issues, I've for so long avoided making the sort of use of GPRS that I originally thought I would, I now hardly ever use any of the small allowance on my current Orange contract

Dave

Typically, I use GPRS to access the Internet when I'm on holiday, so I'm not a regular user.

I'm currently with Orange and signed up for their £4.00/month package. Most months I barely use it but, when I'm on holiday, I can easily exceed the 3MB (or is it 4MB?) limit.

Another problem I have is that some of the places I go on holiday (e.g. the west coast of Scotland) don't have good Orange coverage, so I also use Vodafone on PAYT. Unfortunately, their GPRS rate is considerably higher.

GPRS rates have got to come down, and there ought to be a reasonable pay as you go option for silly people like me. Anything MoDoCo can do to improve things would be much appreciated!

Guest davenash

As a few other people have said, I'm currently on O2 PAYG online which gives me 300 free texts a month (worth £30-36). So I wouldn't switch networks unless that network also offered me that text bundle - i use texts far more than gprs currenlty - mainly because of the high charges - wahey O2 does give me 1mb a month free though....).

I can see myself using GPRS a lot more if it was cheap though. When it was free on o2 about 6months ago I used it all the time. So lets hope this deal will go through with O2.

Dave

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.