Locating plug-ins on screen?

Guest tedp

I've been modifying a home screen for myself and have stumbled around considerably when trying to put a gap between plug-ins on my screen. What I would like to have is a group of 3 plug-ins at the top of the screen and a single plug-in at the bottom. What I've found is that I have to make the "height" parameter of the last plug-in in the top group large enough to push the bottom plug-in down where I want it. The "y" parameter doesn't seem to be doing it for me. Am I just missing the obvious here (like, for example, where is 0,0 in the screen coordinates? Top left?) ? Or does the "y" parameter only apply to text within the current plugin's drawing rectangle?

Guest scott2eyes
Or does the "y" parameter only apply to text within the current plugin's drawing rectangle?

Bingo; each plugin takes up a horizontal band of the screen space, and 0,0 in the X and Y coordinates refers to the top left corner of that plugin; not the whole screen.

Just make the height of the third plug-in big enough to push the final plug-in to the bottom of the screen, then use the X and Y coordinates to set where you want the elements within the plugin itself.

(You've probably already figured that the height of each plugin is set by the "height" parameter, which should be right after the CLSID bit in the XML.)

Bingo; each plugin takes up a horizontal band of the screen space, and 0,0 in the X and Y coordinates refers to the top left corner of that plugin; not the whole screen.

Sigh. Oh well...it's simple enough to understand I guess. Is it possible to have two plug-ins veritically co-located by setting the "W" parameter to...oh...half the screen width for each? Or will the OS insist on stacking them on top of each other?

Thanks for the prompt response.

Guest scott2eyes

Lucky timing! :lol:

Unfortunately, the only way I know of to have 2 plug ins side by side is by using the Orange plugin, which is a part of the ROM on Orange C500 and E200s, but not available for anything else. Otherwise, like you say, the OS just stacks them on top of each other.

:(