Orange to release HTC Alpine as 'SPV M2500'

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Pondrew
Eh?

I'm confused, Orange don't cripple BT on anything?

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, there have been suggestions that the reason it's not easily possible to send files over bluetooth from the C500 out of the box is because Orange wanted people to send it by email instead (so generating income from GPRS). Apparently an Orange customer service rep made the mistake (either very honestly or incorrectly) of saying as much.

Guest shack77
Oh, there have been suggestions that the reason it's not easily possible to send files over bluetooth from the C500 out of the box is because Orange wanted people to send it by email instead (so generating income from GPRS). Apparently an Orange customer service rep made the mistake (either very honestly or incorrectly) of saying as much.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So the hardware is there, and the programs are easily attatched. I really can't see any reason to have a bluetooth function that is not fully functionAL. And that is essentially what bluetooth does, send and receive data. Why not have it enabled? Or did they develop it so we could attatch other devices like headsets?

Something still smells. Sorry if I'm viewed as a naysayer.

Guest carry93
Welcome to the site carry93. The O2 XDA II mini is sold here too. It's not the same model as the M2500 (that model is apparently going to be called the M500). The M2500 is based on the newer XDA IIi.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Pondrew! May I know if both M500 and M2500 are out already? Do you know how much are they? I am planning to buy one and use in Hong Kong.

Thanks,

Carry93

Guest Pondrew
Thanks Pondrew! May I know if both M500 and M2500 are out already? Do you know how much are they? I am planning to buy one and use in Hong Kong.

Thanks,

Carry93

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unfortunately neither have been released yet and I've not heard anything about release dates...

Unfortunately neither have been released yet and I've not heard anything about release dates...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

bah, come on Orange, or Im gonna have to buy it on O2 :-(

Guest hunyango_uk

i can rely on paul.

bigger rom 128mb, faster processor 512mhz. :shock:

i want one!!!

the question is, when is it going to be released?

the mda compact/xda mini/ii mate janm looks good and before i want to have one

and now there is the new m500 which is better....

but i think i can wait for htc universal/mda iv..

what do you guys think? :D

• 1 month later...
Guest Bob 100

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum/site today. I found it on google. Im trying to decide which phone M2000 or Sony P910i. But this new M500 (HTC Magician) looks even better, smaller with almost all the features and a better camera. How can i find out about release dates besides this great site and orange.

Also whilst I'm trying to decide, has anybody got any advice re the M2000 or P910i decision?? I have an Apple and want them to work together for syncing contacts etc. and email. Both will work with Apple but which is the best device to go for. Really not sure, any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Bob 100

:D

Edited by Bob 100

Guest chucky.egg

This is a Windows Mobile site, so you might not get much support for the P910i idea here.

Personally I'd say if you really need a PDA then you need a PocketPC out of those two options - the P-series are nice, but there is far more software for the PocketPC than for the UIQ platform.

Guest Bob 100
This is a Windows Mobile site, so you might not get much support for the P910i idea here.

Personally I'd say if you really need a PDA then you need a PocketPC out of those two options - the P-series are nice, but there is far more software for the PocketPC than for the UIQ platform.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All advice is appreciated from people in the know. Thanks for the reply.

I wonder if you can help. I read somewhere in a review that the SPV M2000 is not loackable so when its in your pocket the screen is still active, surely not. It must have a key lock like a conventional phone ?? Does anybody have one and can answer this for me :?:

Guest fraser
I wonder if you can help. I read somewhere in a review that the SPV M2000 is not loackable so when its in your pocket the screen is still active, surely not. It must have a key lock like a conventional phone ??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is lockable, the screen is off when in standby. Any button will wake it up, but I changed the option on mine so only the power button will do it.

The problem really is that when your phone rings or gets a message, it turns on and stays on until your timeout (1-5 min) expires and it goes standby again. During this period it could make a call or two. You can set it to require a password (fixing the problem), which you should do anyway because you don't want: a) a thief having your personal details, home address and your schedule when you will be out of the house(!), :D said thief making calls on your account and c) thief getting use out of your phone (without a complete reset, bye bye software I've paid for and installed).

I've had a PIN on my phone for 10 years. Not once has the language been switched to Farsi when I'm down the pub! So, with that in mind, the unlock thing isn't a problem for me. I don't know how other devices handle incoming calls when in your pocket, but I can't see them being much different.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest JTHM
,Feb 11 2005, 10:58]You heard it here first (again)...

Orange, whom we recently revealed are about to announce release of the HTC Magician as the 'SPV M500', are about to annouce their release of the HTC Alpine, (the critically acclaimed XDAIIi).

The device will be called the 'SPV M2500'.

If you've been looking for a Tri Band, 128MB RAM, 520MHz Intel Powered, QVGA (boo!), WiFi enabled, 1.3MP Camera-PDA, on Orange and don't want a keyboard... then maybe this is what you've been waiting for!

;)

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Paul et al, is there any more news on the release date of the SPV M2500 on Orange UK? "..about to announce.." sounds like it's imminent but it's been 3 months since this post, there's been no new news since and my E200 is on its last legs.

My E200 is long overdue for an upgrade but I'm holding out for the M2500. I need to make a judgement call on whether my E200 will last out or whether I'm going to be pushed before I can jump.

Why are Orange taking SOOO long to get it out there when O2 have had the Alpine out as the XDAIIi for months?!

Edited by JTHM

You heard it here first (again)...

Orange, whom we recently revealed are about to announce release of the HTC Magician as the 'SPV M500', are about to annouce their release of the HTC Alpine, (the critically acclaimed XDAIIi).

The device will be called the 'SPV M2500'.

If you've been looking for a Tri Band, 128MB RAM, 520MHz Intel Powered, QVGA (boo!), WiFi enabled, 1.3MP Camera-PDA, on Orange and don't want a keyboard... then maybe this is what you've been waiting for!

;)

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Been reading this post as well for over 3 months now so I emailed orange U.K. and they have never heard of either the m500 or the m2500. Big shame!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.