O2 XDA2s -> Orange

Guest mattbunce

Guest mattbunce

I am getting an unlocked O2 XDA2s in the next few days which is SIM free and I want to use it on my existing Orange contract. What would be my options? Would I be able to flash an Orange ROM over the O2 ROM or would I only be able to change GPRS settings etc to the Orange settings?

Guest TheMadScot
I am getting an unlocked O2 XDA2s in the next few days which is SIM free and I want to use it on my existing Orange contract. What would be my options? Would I be able to flash an Orange ROM over the O2 ROM or would I only be able to change GPRS settings etc to the Orange settings?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I should caution you that getting an XDA IIs SIM Free and a unit that is SIM Unlocked are two completely different things:

SIM Free means without an O2 sim card or contract; you pay the full unsubsidised price for the handset but it will still be SIM locked to the O2 network. You would still need to get the handset SIM Unlocked - I'm posting another thread regarding this soon.

On the matter of ROM updates, or specifically changing from an XDA IIs ROM to an Orange ROM... your better heading over to http://www.xda-developers.com and looking in the Blue Angel Upgrading forum for help and advice. There are tools on that website that allow you to tinker with your ROM ("cooking", as they call it) but this requires a modicum of technical knowledge.

The good news is that O2 have released the XDA IIs launch ROM for download if you completely bugger up your device, so at least you could restore it to full functionality in the event of something going drastically wrong.

Personally speaking: I'd just manually switch the phone's entire settings over to Orange relevant ones and leave it at that. There's a ROM upgrade in the pipeline for the XDA IIs that should see the light of day in the next month or so, with bluetooth patches readily available now if you're having stability issues with accessories.

Guest mattbunce

Can anyone supply all the settings needed to get an O2 XDA2s working on an Orange Contract? Now I know I can SIM unlock the phone (thank you IMEI check!) this is the only thing stopping my master plan!