gps on the c500

Guest celica1.8st

Guest celica1.8st

Ok, I want to buy a GPS unit for the c500 but I'm a little baffled by the choice. I have read up about xtrac and everything else.

Does *any* bluetooth GPS unit work with tomtom after the patch is applied or is it still only certain ones. I have read lots about the patch allowing you to use others (not the tomtom one) but it doesn't really say if anything will work.

I have been looking at the following:

Fortuna Clip-on: £109 inc VAT and Free Postage

Original TomTom: £93 inc VAT

Altina GBT708: £65 inc VAT and Postage

The are also others which appear on ebay for around £50ish

Would the Altina do? or would I be better spending the bit extra for the Fortuna Clip-on? I know the clip-on has a replaceable nokia battery and has both chipsets in it.

Also I have seen handheld gps units like the Fortuna GPSmart which are bluetooth enabled - will these work? They appear to work with pdas but I couldn't quite understand why they are so cheap? They seem to be less than £100 and you get both the handheld and the connection to the phone/pda/laptop etc.

It may be that they are not rechargeable? as they look to use standard AAA batteries?? I suppose one with a car charger will be pretty essential.

Any thoughts or ideas??

Cheers

Guest richard_hogg

I assume this is to replace a lost TomTom GPS :lol:

There's a thread on the forums that covers a whole list of GPS units which work with TomTom Mobile & the C500.

Though if you're prepared to spend up to £110, you could get a genuine TomTom GPS from them, if you need a power cable then these can be had on ebay for a few quid.

Guest celica1.8st

That's useful awarner,

richard_hogg - do you know what thread has that list of GPS units in it? I have tried searching the forums and found a lot of useful information, but could not find that list - Is it in amongst the 27 page thread? I got eye-strain whilst reading that :shock:

Anybody got any ideas if the bluetooth handheld units (with a screen) will work with the c500 and tomtom?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest hb88xx

Rikaline 6031 is what I chose. For the one and only reason: It turns itself on and off when TTM is started and exit. Also on the C500 BT is normally swithced off TTM turns it on and off which the rikaline reacts too. So no draining battery becasue you forgot to switch of the gps or turning it on before you start TTM!!

Guest richard_hogg

Yeah.. I suppose I should say which one I have - I've got the Polstar BT-111.

Works great, except when I try to be smart and pair it with my PDA.. Then I have to go through the whole pairing shenanigans with the phone again...