Some help please? (with M2000)

Guest cybercamel

Guest cybercamel

Just got my shiny new M2000, my first pocket PC. And already I'm struggling, the book that Orange provide is useless, like me :oops:

First question is really stupid, how do you turn the thing off, or does the green light always remain on except when charging.

Second, should Internet Explorer be somewhere in programs, because it isn't!!

Third, how do you disconnect from GPRS?

Fourth, just found this out, does it automatically connect to the internet through your PC when its connected?

Fifth, can someone take me through the procedure for using Wi-Fi, eg when there are hotspots around etc

I'm going to have loads more questions, so if you could all bear with me, I am really simple :lol:

Guest its_millertime22

1. The thing does not really 'turn off' If you press the power button - top right edge, the screen will turn off, but will turn back on when buttons are pressed, or a call / text comes in. There is also a setting in Start...settings...system...button lock to lock all the buttons in this 'off' mode, except that power button - I use that setting. I think the WiFi connection also turns off when that button is pressed, but reconnects when it is back 'on.' The phone will also remember that your bluetooth headset is connected and will still transfer calls to the headset even when off.

(if you want to actually turn it off and on, then press the reset button (use the pen to push button in on bottom-left edge.)

2. Internet Explorer is, by default, on the start menu. Programs from the programs folder that are selected to be on the Start Menu, do not then appear for a 2nd time within 'Programs.' You can change which Start Menu programs appear on the menu in Start...Settings...Menus.

(You could also press the internet explorer physical button amonst the 4 buttons below the screen).

3. I don't think you can actually press a button to disconnect from GPRS (without a 3rd party program). But you will not incur any charges from being connected, it is only the amount of data that you transfer that is charged for - so even if you were disconnected, if a program were to use GPRS, it would connect and then transfer - so disconnecting is not neccessary really. If you want the ability to disconnect, then you could get something like 'SPB GPRS Monitor' which also tells you how much data you've used, so you know how much you're spending. Search google for more info.

4. It will automatically use the Internet connection of your PC, if the setting is enabled in Microsoft Activesync on your PC. In Activesync, click Tools...Options and then look for the setting to allow the device to use the computer's internet connection, often called a 'Pass-Through' connection.

5. When you know you are in a WiFi enabled area, just go to the today screen, click the symbol of a blue radio mast in the bottom right of the screen, and put a tick in the box that reads 'Wireless LAN On.' You can then click OK to that screen. When a Wireless network is detected where you are, a message should pop up (like when someone calls you) that says it has detected 'XYZ' network, where you can tell it that yes, this network does connect you to the Internet, and then your phone will try and connect to the network. You can check it works by loading internet explorer, and trying to connect to a web site. Hopefully it won't try and dial your GPRS. You will know that the WiFi is connected and your phone is using the Wireless Network instead of GPRS when, if you tap the Reception icon in the top bar of the screen, it will say The Internet on the left, and then Wi-Fi on the right with Green bars indicating the Wireless Network signal strength - if it says your GPRS connection then you are not connected. This place will also tell you, when you are docked with your PC if you are using your PC's internet connection since here it will say PC Connection instead of Wi-Fi or your GPRS connection.

I hope this helps somewhat - I've tried to be clear but doubt I have!

Pete

Guest cybercamel

Thanks Pete, it all makes sense. I don't seem to have Internet Explorer in either the Start menu or Programs, but can still launch it with the dedicated soft key. No doubt I'll be back with more questions later. :lol:

Guest cocobrownskin
3. I don't think you can actually press a button to disconnect from GPRS (without a 3rd party program). 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

YES..You can disconnect GPRS, just use the pen and hover it above the signal bars and the option will come out to disconnect