How do you send a file via BlueTooth?

Guest Chimpanzee

Guest Chimpanzee

I'm probably being really dense, but how do you send just any old file via blue tooth. There doesn't appear to be an option in file explorer. I get the option occasionally (out of F.E.) but thats only to send stuff like today screns.

Please don't tell me thats all i can do. My brother's nokia can do more than that. And thats a N-O-K-I-A!!

Guest Chaser81

Calm down dear, its only a commercial! :lol:

Sorry, couldnt help it. :oops:

Just turn bluetooth on, then go to file explorer. Get to the file you want to send, and then press (with your stylus) on its name until a sub-menu appears. On that menu is "Beam", which is the option to send the selected file to another device. By default, this is via infra-red, but if you have bluetooth activated, it will search for these devices as well.

Just turn bluetooth on, then go to file explorer. Get to the file you want to send, and then press (with your stylus) on its name until a sub-menu appears. On that menu is "Beam", which is the option to send the selected file to another device. By default, this is via infra-red, but if you have bluetooth activated, it will search for these devices as well.

i'm on XDA IIs and it doesnt work... :lol:

i have BT on, and i have about 3 devices discoverable. i've been trying to get this to work but to no avail... *help* :(

when i do "beam file" it doesnt look for bluetooth devices even with the BT on. however, it can discover devices under Bluetooth Manager... but unfortunately cannot connect to my SonyEricsson P800 via "browse files on a remote device".

i already have the 3500 BT patch, if it makes sense.

*help* :D

Edited by jaise

Guest shack77
Just tested this and mine does the same.

When I do "beam file..."

It will say:

"Infrared            Align ports

Searching"

and that's it

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Er, are you on orange by any chance?

Might have got my wires crossed a bit, but that's what my c500 does. Orange disables it on these things, no reason why any other Orange device would get to keep it.

Guest dazultra2000

The C500 beam is only supposed to be infra-red (i think?) If you download smartexplorer then you can send through bluetooth...

yes I am on Orange

<--- M2000

Which I am now kinda annoyed about.

When I do "beam file..."

It will say:

"Infrared Align ports

Searching"

and that's it

yes, exactly the same thing with me.... :lol:

Guest Chimpanzee
Er, are you on orange by any chance?

Might have got my wires crossed a bit, but that's what my c500 does. Orange disables it on these things, no reason why any other Orange device would get to keep it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WHY ON GOD'S EARTH WOULD THEY DO THAT... IDIOTS!!! :oops:

Is there any way of re-enabling it. In the manual it says to do it the way we've all been trying: "Beam". and i get the same thing:

It will say:

"Infrared Align ports

Searching"

and that's it

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest shack77

Had a bit of a search and there's nothing on one. I'll have a look around. Know of a Smartexplorer for the M2000, anyone?

It probably only applies to those on Orange, so other versions have it. The Imate pda2k doesn't need it, I would imagine, because the software already supports it.

The Shack

Edited by shack77

Guest Chaser81

When I do "beam file..."

It will say:

"Infrared             Align ports

Searching"

and that's it

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did anyone follow my instructions from the first post I made above??

Before you hit "beam", you have to make sure your Bluetooth is switched on manually through Start-->Settings-->System--->Bluetooth Setting.

If you dont turn Bluetooth on first then all it will do is search via infra-red, it doesnt turn Bluetooth on automatically.

If you do turn Bluetooth on first though, then when you go to Beam a file, it will also search for Bluetooth devices as well as infra-red. :lol:

Edit: Got told off for yelling apparently. Sorry! :(

Edited by Chaser81

Guest dazultra2000

Before you shout, yes I DID try that. I'm not stupid. It doesn't detect any of the bluetooth devices (T68i, T630, P800, P900, K700i, CAR100, HS-810, HBH-300, C500, PC Bluetooth, Keyboard, Mouse, X70, laptop) I have around me that are set to discoverable mode.

Fairly conclusive I'd say.

Guest shack77

Right then. Quoted on a webphone news page -

"Smart Explorer 2.0b1 will be available on Monday 26th in the evening. "

Furthermore the developer writes:

Smart Explorer postponed

We are actually finishing development of the new version of Smart Explorer. This version was planned to be out last week. But we wanted to realize some tests on the upcoming Orange update. Unfortunately, we received this beta too late. We apologize for this delay and thank all of you who took time to drop us a line. Smart Explorer 2.0b1 will be available on Monday 26th in the evening. This new version will add bluetooth support for file transfer. "

This posted on 24 jan 05 - not so long ago, on http://msmobiles.com/news.php/2049.html

And the developer's own page says the Smart Explorer works on the e100 and e200, but doesn't say it works on the C500. Does that mean that the M2000, being an HTC product, would run it fine??

It says "The final relase, signed and working on any Orange SPV, is still available in download section."

http://www.binarys.com/default_en.asp

Is the M2000 not an SPV?

Is this a possibility?

I think this needs checking. Off I go...

Guest shack77
WHY ON GOD'S EARTH WOULD THEY DO THAT... IDIOTS!!!  :oops:

Is there any way of re-enabling it. In the manual it says to do it the way we've all been trying: "Beam".  and i get the same thing:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Er, I once spoke to an Orange member of staff who confirmed more or less that it would lose them revenue. Have to text or email it, see? As in photo's etc. 25p per send. Nice.

What if we all ran around sending things for free?!?

That is why they would do it. And it appears to be only Orange.

Guest shack77

Right then. I'm new at this, so if I look silly, someone tell me.

Going by reviews on this great forum the M2000 runs on -

Microsoft Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition for Pocket PC Phone Edition.

And the C500 runs on -

Microsoft Windows Mobile 2003 For Smartphone Second Edition.

A play on words? Or are there big differences? Because if it's basically the same O/S, Smartexplorer will work on the M2000.

How do I ask Paul?

Guest Chaser81

What about that Bluetooth patch for the Blue Angel? Anyone tried that, see if it improves things? My friend was having issues with the Bluetooth on his XDAIIs today. Does seem to be a bit buggy?

Edit: Never mind, just saw that someone posted earlier to say they have tried this.... Lets hope they fix these issues in a forthcoming ROM update. Possibly switch to the Microsoft Bluetooth stack? I understand the Blue Angel uses the WIDCOMM one and it seems really finicky.... Is that a word?

Edited by Chaser81

Guest Chaser81

There was a patch (which is a piece of software bought out to fix or "patch" a bug in an operating system) released a while back for the "Blue Angel" (the generic name for the M2000/XDAIIs/PDA2k/etc.) which supposedly sorted out some of the Bluetooth issues, but I think it could only be used by people on certain networks. I believe it was called the "3500" patch. Do a search, you should find more info.

Guest shack77

I know there's loads of names for 'em all. Just getting to grips with that. But thanx.

Does the O/S vary much from alias to alias? I'm having trouble with the thought that all these phones look the same, but can do different things. Can anyone bluetooth on a Blue Angel? I mean, actually send files?

The patch is huge. What does it do? Re-write the whole thing?

Edited by shack77