VITO SmartMap: GPS Moving Map for Smartphones

Guest Axell

VITO Technology announces new versions of its GPS moving map software VITO SmartMap. New releases include SmartMap for Microsoft Windows Mobile Smartphones and SmartMap for Nokia Series 60 phones.

Along with any Bluetooth GPS receiver, VITO SmartMap will turn a generic smartphone or Nokia phone into a comprehensive GPS device.

All Smartmap versions (at the VITO Technology’s website there are also versions for Pocket PC and SonyEricsson P800/P900/P910 available) allow to view maps, determine user’s position on the map, view the current track (trail of moves), set pushpins and save the current track.

VITO SmartMap uses relatively small vector maps that include major roads and railroads, forests, airports, cities and towns, rivers, lakes and seas. Hundreds of maps for virtually any country are available at the VITO Technology’s website.

VITO SmartMap for Nokia Series 60 and VITO SmartMap for Windows Mobile Smartphones can be downloaded for free at www.vitotechnology.com. Free trial version works without any restrictions for 14 days.

Guest gazbert

Great idea, but although the software installs fine, it won't load the UK map that I've just bought off their web site.

I get the error Points.size() > 1000 when I try to load the map.

I'm running the trial version at the moment, and I'm obviously reluctant to pay for the full version if I can't even get the trial working!

Anyone else tried it out?

Guest removed-2
Great idea, but although the software installs fine, it won't load the UK map that I've just bought off their web site.

I get the error Points.size() > 1000 when I try to load the map.

I'm running the trial version at the moment, and I'm obviously reluctant to pay for the full version if I can't even get the trial working!

Anyone else tried it out?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I get exactly the same error message. It sits there for ages and then comes back with the message. Click Ok and nothing happens. Close and restart the phone and then the application and the map hasn't loaded. Attempt to load the map and get the same again... Very bizarre.... I am dying to try it...

Just out of interest, did you install to the phone or storage card? I installed to the storage card and then copied the map files to the storage card\program files\vito\smartmap

Anyone else got any ideas???

Guest gazbert
Just out of interest, did you install to the phone or storage card?  I installed to the storage card and then copied the map files to the storage card\program files\vito\smartmap

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I installed to Storage Card and copied the map to exactly the same place as you. I've logged the problem on their web site so with any luck we may have an answer soon.

Guest removed-2
I installed to Storage Card and copied the map to exactly the same place as you. I've logged the problem on their web site so with any luck we may have an answer soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's great, I look forward to seeing what they suggest.

Thanks

Mark

Guest gazbert
That's great, I look forward to seeing what they suggest.

Thanks

Mark

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm, their first suggestion is that I have insufficient free memory. Given that I killed all processes and had 9MB of free system memory I find this unlikely. Besides, it's only a 4MB map! TomTom has about 100MB of map data and still runs happily.

I hope their next idea is a bit better. :lol:

Guest removed-2
Hmm, their first suggestion is that I have insufficient free memory. Given that I killed all processes and had 9MB of free system memory I find this unlikely. Besides, it's only a 4MB map! TomTom has about 100MB of map data and still runs happily.

I hope their next idea is a bit better.  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I did actually get a memory error when I first tried to load the map but then I kept on getting the error mentioned above.

I also use TomTom and it loads fine on mine, sound like it doesn't handle the memory too well at all if thats the case and I am sure it wouldn't be usable on many smart phones if thats the case.

Keep fingers crossed they come up with a better answer... Keep us posted....

Mark

Guest removed-2
I did actually get a memory error when I first tried to load the map but then I kept on getting the error mentioned above.

I also use TomTom and it loads fine on mine, sound like it doesn't handle the memory too well at all if thats the case and I am sure it wouldn't be usable on many smart phones if thats the case.

Keep fingers crossed they come up with a better answer... Keep us posted....

Mark

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just another thought... I wonder if it is some extra application that we map have running like xbar? Do you run this??

Is there anyone using this successfully out there?

Guest gazbert
Just another thought... I wonder if it is some extra application that we map have running like xbar?  Do you run this??

Is there anyone using this successfully out there?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't use Xbar and I try to keep my plugins to a minimum so I have very little running. I thought it might have had something to do with the animated homescreen that I've been using. (I quite like the river one, but I wish someone would post some others). So I switched to a static homescreen but no joy. Still doesn't work.

My last reply was this morning to confirm that I'm using the UK map. Watch this space.

Guest demusss

Has anyone tried making a map from a jpg. I've tried this and copied the map over to the phone loaded it up, but I don't see the map on the screen. The GPS location is correct though.

Guest removed-2
I don't use Xbar and I try to keep my plugins to a minimum so I have very little running. I thought it might have had something to do with the animated homescreen that I've been using. (I quite like the river one, but I wish someone would post some others). So I switched to a static homescreen but no joy. Still doesn't work.

My last reply was this morning to confirm that I'm using the UK map. Watch this space.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any more news from them on the error loading map?

Has anyone actually had this working?

Regards

Mark

Guest removed-2

Well I have not posted a support question with them to try and resolve the error but as of yet have not had an answer.

Has anyone else who is experiencing the problem had any more feedback from them?

Guest gazbert
Well I have not posted a support question with them to try and resolve the error but as of yet have not had an answer.

Has anyone else who is experiencing the problem had any more feedback from them?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My last reply from them was about a week ago.

They didn't seem to have a clue what was wrong, and for some bizarre reason thought offering me some of their other maps, e.g. France or Germany would make me happy! Yes, I can definitely see how having a map of France is useful to someone who's only ever been there once and isn't going again any time soon.

I'll be avoiding this company like the plague!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gazbert

Hi,

Juse in case anyone is still following this thread Vito have managed to get the application working.

Basically they've split the map into three sections so you only load one at a time.

Having said that, now that I've got it working I wish I hadn't bothered. The quality is appalling, at scales of less than say 10 kilometres on the screen all you really see is blank space.

The only things it seems to show are major roads and rivers. So as any kind of navigation tool it's completely useless. If you're out in the countryside forget about having a clue where you are or where you're going, and don't even think about trying to use it on the road.

Get a copy of TomTom Mobile, which I've seen in action and is fantastic. And if you're out in the country then I've yet to see anything that can touch MemoryMaps Ordnance Survey software.

Inevitably you get what you pay for, and at $4 per map you really do get about $4 worth of data.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.