Can somebody explain the memory slider?

Guest pizdyetz77

Guest pizdyetz77

Hello,

What's the deal with the memory slider that allocates between 'storage' and 'program'. What are the best settings for what purpose? Or is that even the purpose it's designed for?

I just don't get it. Is there 43Mb hard drive storage and 128Mb RAM?

In my 43Mb I've only used 0.01Mb although I've installed a few apps. Why is this space not getting used? My 128Mb just seems to get smaller & smaller on the other hand:

Here's what I've got:

Storage: Allocated 71.7Mb, In use 45.4Mb, Free 26.3Mb

Program: Allocated: 54.07Mb, In use 18.6Mb, Free 35.47Mb

The blue bar indicating the selectable range now only covers about a third of the total. I'm sure it used to cover just about the whole thing.

If anyone can explain the ins&outs of this function, I'd be v grateful indeed.

GH

Guest hanhha2000
Hello,

What's the deal with the memory slider that allocates between 'storage' and 'program'. What are the best settings for what purpose? Or is that even the purpose it's designed for?

I just don't get it. Is there 43Mb hard drive storage and 128Mb RAM?

In my 43Mb I've only used 0.01Mb although I've installed a few apps. Why is this space not getting used? My 128Mb just seems to get smaller & smaller on the other hand:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The total amount memory that you have available is 128mb.

The slider bar allows you as the user to allocate memory to either storage or program useage. The more program usage, the faster the application/more applications can be run, but at the expense of storage.

The more apps you install directly to the default folder, then the less memory will be availabe for you to allocate for programs to use. Normally, the default setting is 50:50.

Here's what I've got:

Storage: Allocated 71.7Mb, In use 45.4Mb, Free 26.3Mb

Program: Allocated: 54.07Mb, In use 18.6Mb, Free 35.47Mb

The blue bar indicating the selectable range now only covers about a third of the total. I'm sure it used to cover just about the whole thing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The blue bar used to cover the whole thing as you did not install any applications and very few programs were active.

As you install more and more applications to the default directory and also download emails, messages, documents, etc to the default folders, then the blue blue bar will be reduced and is replaced by a white bar. This is also true for the number of programs running, will reduce the memory used by programs running in the background. As you can see, winmobile is trying to keep to the default 50:50 ratio of storage:program memory.

The best way to keep programs running smoothly is to purchase an external storagecard (SD) and install programs to the storagecard.

Hope that helps.

Guest pizdyetz77

That's brilliant. Thank you.

Would this perhaps explain why my Tomtom crashes after about 10 minutes?

When installing programs, will installing to 'Storage' use up the 43MB rather than the (default folder, I presume) 128MB?

Thanks again. Great answer.

GH

When installing programs, will installing to 'Storage' use up the 43MB rather than the (default folder, I presume) 128MB?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was my thought as well. I've been installing utilities like web browsers to this area with no problems seen so far. I don't see myself using the backup at all (I use activesync and I reckon that the two would double-up all my items anyway)..

My thinking was that any app you might want to use regardless of the memory card that it should go here. As you said, there is 43 MB there waiting to be used/abused.

Or, can a more experienced user tell my why I should use the backup, before having to learn the hard-way (e.g. data loss on holiday!) :oops:

Guest pizdyetz77

Me again.

Uninstalled everything and put it back either on SD or into Storage if small. Now running at 63MB and 62MB on Storage & Program respectively.

Next question . . . . Can I manually allocate more to program? Windows seems to do just as you say hanhhaa2000 and is allocating the available memory 50/50. Any ideas?

Thanks again,

GH

Guest hanhha2000
Me again.

Uninstalled everything and put it back either on SD or into Storage if small. Now running at 63MB and 62MB on Storage & Program respectively.

Next question . . . . Can I manually allocate more to program? Windows seems to do just as you say hanhhaa2000 and is allocating the available memory 50/50. Any ideas?

Thanks again,

GH

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just move the slider bar towards the storage thus increasing the amount of memory available for programs.

Winmobile will still control the memory as there is a function that auto allocates memory dependant upon use, similar to the auto memory allocation found in windows on the PC. It protects the system from crashing due to not having enought memory (Obviously not perfect!!).

So the best thing is to try to keep the 128mg as free as possible by placing as much "Stuff" on the SD. Somethings like contacts, email and txt messages will still be stored in the default, but there is not alot you can do about that.

Guest hanhha2000
That was my thought as well. I've been installing utilities like web browsers to this area with no problems seen so far. I don't see myself using the backup at all (I use activesync and I reckon that the two would double-up all my items anyway)..

My thinking was that any app you might want to use regardless of the memory card that it should go here. As you said, there is 43 MB there waiting to be used/abused.

Or, can a more experienced user tell my why I should use the backup, before having to learn the hard-way (e.g. data loss on holiday!)  :oops:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Backup is useful, depending upon how important all your information is.

As you said.....if the battery runs out whilst on holiday then all your contacts, messages, etc will be lost. If you have no access to a computer to reinstall, then you will have lost that information until you are able to resync. This happened to me a couple of years ago whilst using a Toshiba e740. I lost all my contacts whilst travelling and was not able resync as I did not bring a computer along. I now keep my most important contacts on a piece of paper tucked inside of the pda case as well as backing up my contacts on the pda and all my documents via active sync and also email myself a copy of the most important documents to my gmail account just in case Sh1t hits the fan.

Smart, I used to carry a printout of my numbers as well. Probably should start to do that again.

One thing that is useful is that you can import contacts into Hotmail from Outlook via a CSV file. Handy for creating an online repository of your contacts for those bad times.

Guest jharvey00

PPC's never "switch off". They constantly maintain their state by storing everything in volatile memory and simply go into low-power mode when they are "off".

xBackup essentially takes a dump of volatile memory and therefore can preserve the state of your device at a point in time. ActiveSync can only back up contacts, appointments, notes etc whereas xBackup will create an image of everything.

If you need to restore your data, the image gets loaded into memory and you can continue as though nothing happened.

Might be an idea to use xBackup once a week say and then use ActiveSync to copy the backup file to a desktop machine...?

Edited by jharvey00

Guest ventmore
Smart, I used to carry a printout of my numbers as well. Probably should start to do that again.

One thing that is useful is that you can import contacts into Hotmail from Outlook via a CSV file. Handy for creating an online repository of your contacts for those bad times.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why not just use the permanent save option.

Might be an idea to use xBackup once a week say and then use ActiveSync to copy the backup file to a desktop machine...?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That sounds great. How big is the file it produces, out of interest? And can you restore from an SD card? I could create a backup and put it on my broadband server. If things hit that fan while out and about, all I'd need was a USB keydrive, an SD card and net access. Already have all three, could even use the phone in it's post-reset haze to download it at a wifi hotspot!

Why not just use the permanent save option.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Only got phone a week ago, still getting to grips with it! What's the difference between the two backups? Is the permanent save one just Outlook data?

Guest ventmore
Only got phone a week ago, still getting to grips with it! What's the difference between the two backups? Is the permanent save one just Outlook data?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The permanent save option keeps a copy of your Contacts, Appointments, Tasks and Connection Settings in flash memory.

Go into permanent save and tick the required boxes. In the event of power loss, when you recharge, simply tick all of the boxes in permanent save again, and it will bring all of the above back.

HTH

Ventmore

Guest jharvey00
That sounds great. How big is the file it produces, out of interest? And can you restore from an SD card? I could create a backup and put it on my broadband server. If things hit that fan while out and about, all I'd need was a USB keydrive, an SD card and net access. Already have all three, could even use the phone in it's post-reset haze to download it at a wifi hotspot!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The file size depends upon how much of the device's memory is being used, although its not a 1:1 ratio. My last dump was about 30MB and I was using about 60-70MB at the time.

Its definitly possible to restore from an SD card - deleting all of my emails tested that....

As far as putting it on your BB server, that sounds like a good idea! Just make sure its secure :lol:

Nice. I'll give it a go. Though I no doubt see myself doing a hard reset soon, and start off this time knowing what to instead of the "new user, what does that button do?" approach! If I'm going to create a baseline, then I'd want it to be good and stable. Come back to it next month once I'm happy with the way things are set up.

What get's backed up? Everything you have done, including software you've installed? Registry settings? The whole shebang?

Guest pizdyetz77

My TomTom worked the whole way into work this morning. Hopefully it'll work on the way home. Obviously I'd get lost without it . . .

Thanks for explaining the memory thing. Much appreciated.

Guest theanarch1st
PPC's never "switch off". They constantly maintain their state by storing everything in volatile memory and simply go into low-power mode when they are "off".

xBackup essentially takes a dump of volatile memory and therefore can preserve the state of your device at a point in time. ActiveSync can only back up contacts, appointments, notes etc whereas xBackup will create an image of everything.

If you need to restore your data, the image gets loaded into memory and you can continue as though nothing happened.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This isnt exactly true, if you go into the Tools of ActiveSync then do Backup/Restore you can enable the option to take an image of the whole device (except memory card i believe) and this will work exactly like Xbackup

i have mine set to incremental backup everytime i insert my M2000 into the cradle

hope this helps

This isnt exactly true, if you go into the Tools of ActiveSync then do Backup/Restore you can enable the option to take an image of the whole device (except memory card i believe) and this will work exactly like Xbackup

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now that is interesting! How do the backups work? Do they go into one file, or does it create additional files for the incrementals? I've got a backed up area at home that would be ideal to store it on, but it it's a large file that keeps on getting small changes, the backup system will recreate the whole file each time. :-( This area is also available to me on the internet, but my desktop PC is powered down when I'm not home, so I could use activesync backup to write to my backup area and have access to it anywhere.

The idea of being able to restore remotely could be really useful, though using activesync has a drawback; you still need to have access to a PC. xBackup would work with a usb card reader and an internet cafe, if you want to think worst-case scenarios!

Who makes xBackup? If it's Microsoft, there is a slim chance that the backups are interchangable; i.e. use active sync to auto-backup, but xBackup if you are on the road. Doesn't say anything in the app.

Guest GothTeddy

I think you're trying to overcomplicate things here :lol:

xBackup saves directly to your SD card, so you're never more than a few clicks from disaster. If you get into the habit of making a backup regularly (and whenever you add a load of valuable data), there's really nothing to wory about.

I have my contacts backed up with the permanent storage things, and a complete xBackup on my SD card... God knows how often I'll update them :( but, if worst comes to worst, it'll save me a load of greif.

Guest dazza12

It's not exactly that complicated.

I use both, I do a full backup using the Activesync function when it's in the cradle (it can be set to do this automatically), and use xBackup just before changing a battery due to the design fault with the main/backup battery switch.

Both backup methods will complement each other, and gives you that extra security. I once could not restore from the xBackup file as it had corrupted during the backup, but when I got home could restore from that morning's backup on Activesync.

[snip]

I have my contacts backed up with the permanent storage things, and a complete xBackup on my SD card... God knows how often I'll update them :( but, if worst comes to worst, it'll save me a load of greif.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not really over complicated. Have you ever tried to restore from an old backup? If it's not up to date, you are going to have an ActiveSync nightmare when you next dock with your PC. Manual backups are a waste of time (though they are still better than nothing!).

I'm speaking from experience here. I've been using PCs for many years, and I have a lot of important data I need to keep. I've also have many hard drive crashes. With automatic backups, I don't need to worry about it at all. I can even delete files on my PC knowing that the backup of it will remain for two months.

If you use PCs for a living, a good backup system is essential.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pizdyetz77

Pizdyetz77 here - aka Tomtom crash boy

Yes, it crashed again. Funny (not so) thing is that it seems to happen at the same corner/street (2 secs from my work) every time. Am I unnecessarily worrying myself that there is a serious problem here or am I maybe just hitting a blind spot? Any suggestions welcome.

I now have at least 70Mb of program memory free, the backlight is set to never switch off and I disable the 'password after 1 min' before starting SatNav. What the hell's going on?

How do you guys start TomTom? I always start Bluetooth, go to paired devices, establish connection with my GPS receiver (Bluei) and then start TT. Am I doing it wrong? What's causing the crashes?

Hope you can help.

Guest hanhha2000
Pizdyetz77 here - aka Tomtom crash boy

Yes, it crashed again. Funny (not so) thing is that it seems to happen at the same corner/street (2 secs from my work) every time. Am I unnecessarily worrying myself that there is a serious problem here or am I maybe just hitting a blind spot? Any suggestions welcome.

I now have at least 70Mb of program memory free, the backlight is set to never switch off and I disable the 'password after 1 min' before starting SatNav. What the hell's going on?

How do you guys start TomTom? I always start Bluetooth, go to paired devices, establish connection with my GPS receiver (Bluei) and then start TT. Am I doing it wrong? What's causing the crashes?

Hope you can help.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you tried to start TT first and then let the rpogram find and apir the bluetooth?

Maybe worth a try.

Guest pizdyetz77

I think I've got it figured out.

It worked flawlessly on a 1.5hr trip today. I did a soft reset before leaving. That seemed to sort it.

I suppose I can live with a reset every major trip I do.

Thanks for the advice anyway.

GH