General Wi-fi question

Guest RussellH

Guest RussellH

I've been experimenting with the Wi-fi on my M2000, which seems to be working well. One of the places I work has Wi-fi on it's network, and I've connected to it fine.

At another place I work, they don't have Wi-fim but my phone is picking up a wi-fi signal from somewhere. In fact, I've noticed that if I leave Wi-fi on during my drive home from work, I get various Wi-fi signals, and the offer of a connection at various points along the journey. Tried the one near work this morning, and it connects without a password.

My question is - What are the implications, if any, of connecting to an unknown network via Wi-fi? Is it OK to do this, or are there reasons why I should avoid doing this?

Thanks,

Russell

Guest Chaser81

Usually its pretty harmless as most networks will be password protected anyway, and you wont be able to do anything but detect that its there.

I suppose the implications of connecting to an unknown network are the same as connecting to ANY network, wireless or not, i.e. you dont know what files (or potential viruses) are on that network which could be unknowingly transferred to your device. There is also the possibility that if you removed or copied any files from that network you would potentially be breaking the law (violates the computer misuse act or whatever its called).

In reality though, as I said, it would be pretty harmless. If the networks important, it will be protected and you wont be able to get on it anyway, if not, whats the harm in getting a little free internet access? Especially as MyCloud and T-Mobile HotSpots are REALLY expensive for WiFi internet access.

Be wary of untrusted access points though, in fact even "trusted" commercial ones. It's fairly easy to fake a user out by sending them to something other than e.g. amazon.com, but looks like amazon.com. Some folk harvest passwords and credit card numbers. This has been on a few security newsletters etc lately. All you need is a crooked admin.

Guest Chaser81
Be wary of untrusted access points though, in fact even "trusted" commercial ones. It's fairly easy to fake a user out by sending them to something other than e.g. amazon.com, but looks like amazon.com. Some folk harvest passwords and credit card numbers. This has been on a few security newsletters etc lately.  All you need is a crooked admin.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I heard about this! The guys who did this to Starbucks and all! Pretty bad from the victims point of view but clever stuff!

Guest RussellH

Thanks for the advice. Won't be using unknown networks now, though when I did try it last week, it connected but didn't do anything useful. When I tried to connect to any websites, it couldn't find any of them anyway! m Probably because I didn't have a valid password. Nice try though!

Nah, use them for modaco, mail might be alright, but it's just as easy to build a carnivore that listens for mails and logs them!!

I use encryption for everything nowadays!