connecting up to the car radio

Guest celica1.8st

Guest celica1.8st

ok, I've got my c500 and tomtom working now which is great, but it would be even better if I could link it up to my car stereo.

Is there anyway to do this? My stereo isn't fancy or anything it is a Panasonic CQ-RDP152N with a single CD at the front (so there goes the idea of using a tape adapter!)

I had a scan through the manual to see if there was any input at the back (my original idea was to connect it to the CD changer and trick the head unit into thinking it was a cd changer. (it doesn't appear to have a CD changer socket :lol: )

But... It does have a Navi Mute Wire, which you connect to the "panasonic in car navigation system" this then mutes the stereo when the navigation system wants to make noise. Is there any way to wire the c500 up to this? I figured I would need a signal wire, but then wondered if the speaker wires would act as a signal wire??

Any ideas?

Any one tried anything similar?

• 2 months later...
Guest stware
ok, I've got my c500 and tomtom working now which is great, but it would be even better if I could link it up to my car stereo.

Is there anyway to do this? My stereo isn't fancy or anything it is a Panasonic CQ-RDP152N with a single CD at the front (so there goes the idea of using a tape adapter!)

I had a scan through the manual to see if there was any input at the back (my original idea was to connect it to the CD changer and trick the head unit into thinking it was a cd changer. (it doesn't appear to have a CD changer socket ;)  )

But... It does have a Navi Mute Wire, which you connect to the "panasonic in car navigation system" this then mutes the stereo when the navigation system wants to make noise. Is there any way to wire the c500 up to this? I figured I would need a signal wire, but then wondered if the speaker wires would act as a signal wire??

Any ideas?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes I am using an FM Modulator, which means you tune your Radio Station to the Freq of the modulator, and then just plug your modulator into your phone, only issue I had before doing this was, the Small Jack needed for the SPV, and the standard jack that comes with the FM Modulator, is I think 3.5, but once that was sorted everything is now great, I can play MP3 of the Phone through the stero, I can use the stero to hear when people call, and also Tom Tom Directions now come through the Stereo, If you need a FM Modulator you can but them from Ebay I have two versions one that is powered via the Cig Lighter, and I then liked the concept so much I purchased another that I have yet to Hard Wire into the car, the main benefit of the hard wired one is I can have it wired to the ignition so that when the key is turned on so is the FM Modulator,

Hope this Helps

Guest celica1.8st

I wouldn't have thought so - they used to come as standard in peugeots. The cd changer in the boot had an FM modulator, and you tuned the stereo to the correct freq. There was then a little remote on a thin wire to change tracks etc

Guest fr3ak
I wouldn't have thought so - they used to come as standard in peugeots. The cd changer in the boot had an FM modulator, and you tuned the stereo to the correct freq. There was then a little remote on a thin wire to change tracks etc

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From what I understand, they ARE illegal in the UK. You need a licence to transmit on FM here!!!!! Strangely they're ok in the US.

Guest scottjk

I had a scan through the manual to see if there was any input at the back (my original idea was to connect it to the CD changer and trick the head unit into thinking it was a cd changer. (it doesn't appear to have a CD changer socket ;)  )

Any ideas?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What did you do to overcome the plug size of the modulator. I'm trying to use my Shure EC3 headphones with mine but I can't find an adapter to take the mini stereo plug down to the 2.5 mini.

Thanks

Scott

Guest grumpy_old_technobyte

You should get an adapter for the 2.5mm jack from either RadioShack (online if not bricks in BK) and I wouldnt imagine it illegal for a FM transmitter, the freq. is so very low. Mine only reaches up to 88.7Mhz which only my car stereo and a few others near me on road can hear. The AAA batteries only power the antenna a few yards anyway.

post-65276-1115226743_thumb.jpg

post-65276-1115226897_thumb.jpg

Edited by grumpy_old_technobyte

Guest Samsonite

the radio position in the UK is very rigid...

There are licence free bands and licensed bands. The DTi are the government body that enforce the radio spectrum regs BUT it is on a reactive basis. You are only gonna get into trouble if somebody makes a complaint! Unlikely in this case as the source of transmission is moving around and very difficult if not impossible to triangulate onto...

Having said that, it may well be illegal to sell these devices in the UK. it depends on whether they operate in one of the licensed bands.

Some of the regulations limit the duty cycle to cater for higher power transmitters giving everyone a fair crack at successful transmission...

slightly off topic i s'pose but hope this adds something...

Guest xspyda

grumpy_old_technobyte, assuming that contraption is the modulator, care to share which one it is and where it may be obtained from?

Looking for a self powered one if anything, rather than the type that plug into the cig lighter.

Cheers.

Edited by xspyda

Guest celica1.8st

Are you really suggesting that Clarion/Peugeot would sell something that could be identified as being illegal???

I really doubt it!!

The range of these things is so short you'd be lucky to pick it up in the next car. I can assure you that they are legal to buy in this country and if you go to any decent ICE shop you will find them. They are quite often used to get sound into the stereo system from DVD Players and that sort of thing.

Guest fjw999

Can anyone recommend a good FM Modulator for the C500?. There seems to be load's about but not sure what one to go for.

Guest Samsonite

celica1.8st

not suggesting for one moment that an officially supplied unit is anything but legal, but with products being sourced thru the Great God E-bay its worth being aware of the regulations covering radio transmissions...

The Peugeot/Clarion unit will have been made with UK spectrum allocation in mind and will conform to all of the relevant regs - my guess is that there will be a sticker giving the licence exempt details on the unit itself. For non UK units, they may operate on a UK band and cause interference on any number of devices... including Grannys pacemaker!! ;)

possibly an obtuse example but in reality, overseas radio kit can often affect electronics here in the UK in unwanted ways...

Guest fatman

AFAIK the term FM Modulator is normally applied to a device attached directly to the car aerial. The modulator takes an input signal, converts it to an FM radio signal signal and adds it the the normal radio signals picked up by the radio aerial. There is no transmission of the radio signal - hence it is legal in the UK.

FM modulators are normally hard-wired in behind the dash somewhere and hooked up to car power so they are only active when ignition on.

The Fm transmitters effectively accomplish the same but do not use a direct connection. Instead they transmit a signal. As a result I believe they are illegal in the UK. I suspect you would be v unlucky to be found out and you can definitely buy them - the sellers often seem to have some waffle about not for use in the UK etc...

Guest mr_end
Are you really suggesting that Clarion/Peugeot would sell something that could be identified as being illegal???

I really doubt it!!

The range of these things is so short you'd be lucky to pick it up in the next car. I can assure you that they are legal to buy in this country and if you go to any decent ICE shop you will find them. They are quite often used to get sound into the stereo system from DVD Players and that sort of thing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

FM transmittion without a permit in the UK is illegal!!!!!! Don't just 'guess' or assume.

Guest ahodgekins
FM transmittion without a permit in the UK is illegal!!!!!!  Don't just 'guess' or assume.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Samsonite is correct; the versions that come bundled with aftermarket CD Changers piggy-back the signal onto that received from the aerial, and must be connected via the car aerial cable and powered from the car battery. I bought one of these off eBay to accomplish the same thing with a Creative DAP Jukebox.

The broadcasting devices, such as the Belkin iTrip, are indeed illegal in the UK.

Guest celica1.8st

The peugeot/clarion ones definatley sent the signal as you could just about pick it up in the other car sitting next to it.

I have purchased a wired one for my c500 for the simple reason that it was cheapest.

I know what you mean about good old ebay ones - I expect they would be illegal but I'm sure some must be legal - even if it means clarion have bought a licence??

Guest Monkhouse

Jeez, some people worry too much!!

Also illegal is doing 31 in a 30, which I expect every single driver reading this does every day!!

It's like that old it's-illegal-to-tape-from-your-radio law - illegal maybe, but utterly unenforcable. And, nobody really cares anyway - it's hardly a capital crime, is it?

They sound really handy, might get one!

Guest Samsonite

Monkhouse

couldnt agree more!! the legality is rarely part of many decisions when it comes to minor things like this!! the only sticking point is that if you buy a non UK approved item, the last thing you want to have happen is that it interferes with the gadget you wanted to increase the functionality of!

i'd be a little more than grumpy if the FM doohickey made the screen on my phone go wonky whenever it was transmitting the mp3...

Edited by Samsonite

Guest Swampie
The peugeot/clarion ones definatley sent the signal as you could just about pick it up in the other car sitting next to it.

I have purchased a wired one for my c500 for the simple reason that it was cheapest.

I know what you mean about good old ebay ones - I expect they would be illegal but I'm sure some must be legal - even if it means clarion have bought a licence??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/mofaq/rcomms/itrip/?a=87101

Peugeot/Clarion will not use a FM transmitter in the car. It is illegal in the UK and other European countries. You must be mistaken that it can be picked up in neighbouring cars.

Clarion cannot buy a license, as the licenses are far from cheap, not to mention the frequencies are allocated on a regional basis - whereas cars are not static. One frequency could interfere with a broadcaster when the car is driven into another area etc.

Quote from the link above:

1. What do these devices do?

These devices are intended to link the output of an iPod, personal stereo or mobile phone to a car radio or domestic FM radio. They are in effect a miniature radio transmitter.

2. How far can they broadcast a signal?

Although they operate at a low power level, typically microwatts, they can transmit a signal a fair distance - up to about 30 feet from the transmitter

3. Are they legal to sell?

No.

4. Are they legal to use?

No.

D

Guest bluesmudge

shame they are illiagl, but they shouldn't be

The transmitter is across a very short distance, i expect it can't be picked up outside your car. It'll probably use unused public frequencies. You are not making money out of the device, and the music rights allow you to use music you own, for personal use (which this is). And its not a public broadcast.... especially as you're not inviting other people to listen.

i think this article on coolsmartphone.com says it all

http://www.coolsmartphone.com/article421.html

Guest Swampie
shame they are illiagl, but they shouldn't be

The transmitter is across a very short distance, i expect it can't be picked up outside your car. It'll probably use unused public frequencies. You are not making money out of the device, and the music rights allow you to use music you own, for personal use (which this is). And its not a public broadcast.... especially as you're not inviting other people to listen.

i think this article on coolsmartphone.com  says it all

http://www.coolsmartphone.com/article421.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, firstly it is a public broadcast, as it is within the standard FM range (88-108MHz). Therefore anyone can pick it up. Licenses for these channels are not cheap. Consequently, the companies paying for them do not want interference etc.

Secondly, ANY broadcasting of copyrighted material requires permission. This is why when you see QVC demonstrating TVs etc, they cannot show any other broadcasters shows (they only show their own). They also have to get permission to show any clips of DVDs etc (possibly easier than the first).

The fact you're using a 5mW transmitter which (in theory) has, say, a 50m range doesn't matter. Radio waves radiate out from a central point and cannot easily be guaranteed to be contained within a specific area, and changing conditions can sometimes make the signals travel further than normal. This is a problem for TV transmissions as TV in Southern England can make its way into France and viceversa. Imagine if these devices became very very popular. Someone who lives very close to a main road may get constant interference from passing cars. These devices often allow you to set your own frequency, meaning that its down to the user to ensure that they don't interfere with any legal transmissions. Whilst you may have done a good job when you set it up, OFCOM could give a new license to someone a day later, resulting in you interfering with their broadcast (albeit on a very localalised area).

Cordless phones (max 10mW), while quoted as 100m range "in the open", can often be picked up much further than that, even through brick walls! The iTrips are about 10mW - so expect the range to be similar to cordless phones. In the US, devices can be up to 100mW without licenses - the maximum output of a mobile phone is 250mW!!!

D

Guest grumpy_old_technobyte

The one I have is made by IROCK but there is another that is branded belkin in the same shape as mine. Only qwams i have with the FM transmitters and the Typhoon is that the volume on your stereo has to be turned way up before any sound is present, then its smooth! And I believe its something to do with the phone, my mp3players (archos, rca and iriver) are ok with normal stereo volume settings.

Ive have a friend who uses the Ipod FM transmitter w/ her mpx220 and its ok.

post-65276-1115826502_thumb.jpg

post-65276-1115826526_thumb.jpg

Guest myjess

I bought an FM transmitter on Ebay that plugs straight into the cigarette lighter socket. I also bought the 3.5mm to 2.5mm stereo adapter on Ebay as well.

• 1 year later...
Guest corinthian

I personally wouldn't worry about the FM tranmission regs.

Taking the letter of the law, every time you play any audio-visual media (recorded or transmitted) where it could be heard by a non-family member - you are in breach of the public performance laws.

That is "could be" not "is".

And yes, recording onto a video recorder or similar device is still technically illegal unless you have specific written permission of the copyright holder.

How many people can honestly say that they ensure that all doors and windows are shut & locked and that there are only resident family members in the house before turning on the telly!

And before you say thats silly, its one of the reasons quoted for curtailing the termperary accomodation clause in the tv licensing law, namely with relation to student accomodation.