PPCProfiles Pro

Guest bretto

Guest bretto
Another idea occurs to me...

How about a start/stop time for profiles, so you can tell the phone to switch to a particular profile at a certain time, and at the stop time, switch back to the previous one?

I for one would that that VERY usefull! ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This one is a good one for sure and Ive been asked about it a bit.

What I want to do is add another menu option in the setup. This will take you to a window similar to the standard alarm program. From there you will be able to setup a profile switching template.

Maybe up to five different switches that each have a start/stop time, a profile to switch to and back to, and the days the swtich applies to. Also an activate checkbox to turn each one on or off.

How does that sound?

Guest bretto

Hi All

As you might have already read in the modaco news...PPCProfiles-Pro is now freeware!...

It is very generous of Paul to make this the home of PPCProfiles-Pro. ;)

Im very excited to be able to provide this software to everyone who needs it and look forward to seeing what I have started as a humble application grow into a mature addon for all pocketpc devices.

Version V2.01xx will most likely be the first version of the freeware app. You can find the beta to download in the 1st post of this thread.

Grab the software! Enjoy! Join in! and above all keep your great ideas comming!

Guest funkychicken9000

Hi Guys, got a question about this.

I'm at uni, and have lectures from 9 until 1. Is there any way this program could automatically set my phone (C500) to silent during these (and other) hours, and to normal the rest of the time? I don't really want to enter an outlook calendar item for every day as at the moment when I have a calendar item it means I have something important to do, and I don't want it to get overshadowed ;)

Guest bretto
Hi Guys, got a question about this.

I'm at uni, and have lectures from 9 until 1.  Is there any way this program could automatically set my phone (C500) to silent during these (and other) hours, and to normal the rest of the time?  I don't really want to enter an outlook calendar item for every day as at the moment when I have a calendar item it means I have something important to do, and I don't want it to get overshadowed ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi funkychicken9000

Im looking into adding a template for profile switching. I described it a couple of posts back to FFM. Check that out and see if its what you had in mind.

Guest funkychicken9000

ah, sorry ;)

What I'm after is something that i can tell to mute the phone on certain days at certain times, eg. monday 9-5 and tuesday 9-1 etc.

Howabout a menu with a schedule option, where you can activate either constant times, weekday times, or individual times?

Guest bretto
ah, sorry ;)

What I'm after is something that i can tell to mute the phone on certain days at certain times, eg. monday 9-5 and tuesday 9-1 etc.

Howabout a menu with a schedule option, where you can activate either constant times, weekday times, or individual times?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep thats what I was saying I think but maybe not that clearly. More coffee required possibly ;)

For each on/off time it would have profile to switch to (on time), profile to switch back to (off time) and a selection of what days to use this switch.

And have maybe 5 of them.

If you want to switch every day check all 7 days for the switch. Same as you do in the alarm app.

Arent we saying pretty much the same thing?

Guest bretto

Hi All

Ive just uploaded a sneak preview of V2.01c beta1.

This still needs some testing but is very stable.

New features in V2.01c beta1:

- More modular design. Ive split up the today plugin even further.

- Smaller today plugin 71Kb

- New tray selection option. Uses a tray app instead of todayscreen plugin. This is extremely small 17Kb and works the same as the popup select mode.

- Ability to nominate custom ringtone location. Storage card etc.

- Internal optimisations to lessen the load on your system.

- Help updated

- New icons.

Enjoy!

Guest nickcornaglia

Thank you very much for making the app free. It's a nice addition to my homescreen. I have the previous version installed (2.01b) and it worked fine, though there was a nag screen.

I installed the next version tonight (2.01c). Using the text buttons.

When I click on a different profile...the new profile does not become bold. The profile changes but the text does not.

But when I go to a different screen and then back...the text is then changed. So in non-technical terms, I guess there is a screen refresh problem. ;)

Thanks again.

Guest bretto
Thank you very much for making the app free. It's a nice addition to my homescreen. I have the previous version installed (2.01b) and it worked fine, though there was a nag screen.

I installed the next version tonight (2.01c). Using the text buttons.

When I click on a different profile...the new profile does not become bold. The profile changes but the text does not.

But when I go to a different screen and then back...the text is then changed. So in non-technical terms, I guess there is a screen refresh problem. ;)

Thanks again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi encece

Not sure whats going on there. I have completely rewritten the todayscreen plugin for the 2.01xx versions because I was using a class for the today plugin that was causing me all sorts of grief. Just couldnt pin down the problems on some devices.

If you get a chance you might like to try on of the betas and let me know if the same problem exists on your phone.

Guest FloatingFatMan
This one is a good one for sure and Ive been asked about it a bit.

What I want to do is add another menu option in the setup. This will take you to a window similar to the standard alarm program. From there you will be able to setup a profile switching template.

Maybe up to five different switches that each have a start/stop time, a profile to switch to and back to, and the days the swtich applies to. Also an activate checkbox to turn each one on or off.

How does that sound?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That sounds pretty spot on Bretto!!! Will grab the latest version as soon as I get back home this afternoon ;)

Excellent news on the prog now being freeware, but one suggestion ;) Set up a webpage with a donate button so we can give you some money if we want to! :P

Guest bretto
That sounds pretty spot on Bretto!!!  Will grab the latest version as soon as I get back home this afternoon :P

Excellent news on the prog now being freeware, but one suggestion ;)  Set up a webpage with a donate button so we can give you some money if we want to! ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the tip FFM ;)

Maybe someone will pass the hat around and donate a jam for me to develop on :twisted:

BTW is that a twist on Dune I see...

Edited by bretto

Guest fraser

funkychicken, i think it already does that. Just use the meeting switcher, then set appointments for each of your classes. Use the "reccuring" option so you only need to create each class once.

Bretto, props for the freeware release. I think we are some of the only people here that are in it for helping people, not a quick buck!! The one nasty downside of the Microsoft worlds. Some of the things people charge for are a joke!!

WRT to scheduled changes, I would much rather have a location based one. Just use the cell area code to determine the area. Have a "set for this zone" option that allows you to set a profile to auto-switch to when you enter that zone. Then the user can manage these from a table in the config page. I'd help out myself, but I haven't touched C in years and I've got other things on the go right now.

Guest nickcornaglia

Seems the pugin works fine now on my Jam.

I think there may have been a conflict with the Crappy AgileMessengerPlugin which does not function correctly anyway. In any case...all is good now. Thanks.

Guest bretto
funkychicken, i think it already does that. Just use the meeting switcher, then set appointments for each of your classes. Use the "reccuring" option so you only need to create each class once.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hmm...have I test recurring appointments? Let me know how that goes ;)

Bretto, props for the freeware release. I think we are some of the only people here that are in it for helping people, not a quick buck!! The one nasty downside of the Microsoft worlds. Some of the things people charge for are a joke!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah Ive noticed a few "why the hell are they selling that it should be free" things about the place. Also I cant understand why MS have left out so much from the PPC platform. I guess its the tradeoff for being flexible.

WRT to scheduled changes, I would much rather have a location based one. Just use the cell area code to determine the area. Have a "set for this zone" option that allows you to set a profile to auto-switch to when you enter that zone. Then the user can manage these from a table in the config page. I'd help out myself, but I haven't touched C in years and I've got other things on the go right now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is something I looked at a while ago. I think it can be done. As with the outlook sync/switch the more automatic stuff we put in place the more processor and battery power we eat up. Still its all up to the individual as they dont have to turn everything on do they.

Hopefully in the next day or two I will be able to upgrade the V2.01c beta1 version to the most stabel or even the release and get rid of the V2.01b beta1 version which as someone pointed out still has that painful nag screen.

I'll try to post a road map of the software's future development soon.

Guest bretto
Seems the pugin works fine now on my Jam.

I think there may have been a conflict with the Crappy AgileMessengerPlugin which does not function correctly anyway. In any case...all is good now. Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Glad to hear it encece. Had me wondering about that one.

Guest bretto

Now that this software is free it poses a small but critical question for the bluetooth functionality.

Currently there is no support for the widcomm/broadcom bluetooth stack which appears to be shipping with the newer devices. Only Microsoft bluetooth stack is supported.

As the SDK for Widcomm is very expensive, to be able to include support for it I must find someone who already has the sdk to create a dll to include in PPCProfiles.

If there is anyone out there that is willing to do this please let me know and I'll give them the interfacing specs.

If not I may have to do what FFM suggests and add a donation option to the download page.

Guest fraser
As the SDK for Widcomm is very expensive, to be able to include support for it I  must find someone who already has the sdk to create a dll to include in PPCProfiles.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Try mailing them. Put a big "does not work on the Widcomm stack" warning on your site first, with a link from it to them. Also list the devices affected. Say that you'd like to use the SDK for a very brief update to your own app, to support their product. Stress that your app is popular and the only free profile manager currently available, and that users of the Widcomm stack are disappointed that their "phones don't work" (note the wording). Basically, try to make them look bad. ;)

If they don't help, then screw them. Just mention this on your homepage that they are being uncooperative in helping you. Recommend that people stay away from the related devices as application/vendor support is very poor. Name & Shame. :twisted:

Guest bretto
Try mailing them. Put a big "does not work on the Widcomm stack" warning on your site first, with a link from it to them. Also list the devices affected. Say that you'd like to use the SDK for a very brief update to your own app, to support their product. Stress that your app is popular and the only free profile manager currently available, and that users of the Widcomm stack are disappointed that their "phones don't work" (note the wording). Basically, try to make them look bad. ;)

If they don't help, then screw them. Just mention this on your homepage that they are being uncooperative in helping you. Recommend that people stay away from the related devices as application/vendor support is very poor. Name & Shame.  :twisted:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know I did contact them not that long ago. Did the whole "dont need the full sdk just a dll that can switch bluetooth on/discoverable/off" etc and that I was quite happy to purchase it. They sent me an email saying that they dont have anything less than the full sdk and attached a link to their product purchase page. :roll:

Also tried the other guys (name escapes me just now) that have a wrapper for widcomm drivers. They were slightly more helpful. Still arent interested in writing a dll for me but mentioned a few things that they thought might help me.

I really dont want the whole sdk. I cant see myself ever writting a full blown bluetooth app. especially now wifi is readily available. There must be someone out there who wants their name in the credits ;)

Anyway Ive had a look at the widcomm stack and I really dont see why devices whet away from the incorporated MS stack. Maybe Im missing something. wouldnt be the 1st time...

Guest bretto

Over 850 downloads and no bugs reported. yet....

Its passed my thorough testing process now with a couple of minor changes.

- The about popup now points to Modaco for info and support.

- Quick Switch Mode. 5mins has been dropped and 1hour has been included

- Minor screen handling fix for options to display text on entry

- Ringtone selection dropdown now selects current setting on startup

- Timer delays are now registry settings so if required can be altered.

I have noticed a couple of times that there is a delay when running the selection popup from the tray mode. I cant pin it down but am almost certain it is wm2003se running on my xda2.

As no one has mentioned any major problems (any problems at all) and I have given everything a good work out. I think I will post the first full freeware version tomorrow. Let me know if you find anything in the meantime.

Guest bolasz

Hi Bretto,

Firt of all, thanks for making this great app and making it available for free, it immediately became an esential part of my jam.

There is one prob though. With PPCProfiles installed, my alarms start with 2-3 seconds vibrating which makes a terrible noise as the jam is jumping around the table next to my head... ;)

First I thought my settings are not correct but then I realised that reminders are not included in the "setup notificatios" page so there is nothing I can do.

Would it be possible to include reminders as well so that they can be set up for each profile independently?

Guest bretto
Would it be possible to include reminders as well so that they can be set up for each profile independently?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah yes sorry I had forgotten about that. I actually excluded reminders from the original cut of the application on wm2003 as they appeared to be in a different format to the other notifications and hadnt pinned down the correct way to go about it. On wm2003se they appear to be the same as the others.

I'll include this in the next update.

Guest bolasz
Ah yes sorry I had forgotten about that. I actually excluded reminders from the original cut of the application on wm2003 as they appeared to be in a different format to the other notifications and hadnt pinned down the correct way to go about it. On wm2003se they appear to be the same as the others.

I'll include this in the next update.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was quick! ;)

Thanks a lot, Bretto, much appreciated!

Guest bretto

Anyone have any feedback about the latest V2.01c beta1?

Ive had to go searching the net to see if there was any info out there about the free version.

Looks like I still have to clear up a few points.

Firstly PPCProfiles-Pro V2.01c is and will be free for personal use thru Modaco. Not just the beta but the release also.

FREE, free, Free, vrij, libre, frei, ελεύθερος, libero, livre, свободно.

Thats FREE in a lot of languages! (so babelfish tells me)

One of the reasons for going to freeware is to allow others to contribute to the development thus allowing more devices to be catered for.

Anyway I hope this clears things up for people. Did I mention that its free?

Edited by bretto