M2000 Using WiFi hotspots

Guest merf99

Guest merf99

I am trying to set up my M2000 to enable me to collect e-mail via free wifi connections.

I appear to be connecting to networks ok but cannot get my e-mail to connect, it keeps saying it cannot connect to the pop3 server.

I can connect to collect e-mail via GPRS but the send function doesn't work.

Can anybody help please, this is driving me mad.

Guest hanhha2000
I am trying to set up my M2000 to enable me to collect e-mail via free wifi connections.

I appear to be connecting to  networks ok but cannot get my e-mail to connect, it keeps saying it cannot connect to the pop3 server.

I can connect to collect e-mail via GPRS but the send function doesn't work.

Can anybody help please, this is driving me mad.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you certain you are actually connected to the hotspot correctly. An easy check is to launch PIE (Pocket Internet Explorer) and surf a couple of sites.

I have access to a couple of supposed free hotspots and have found that even tho the phone says that I am connected, I am connected to the "network" but not actually connected to the internet.

Bot sure what your problem is with GPRS email, as my one works without a problem, both sending and receiving. Maybe worth setting up the email again making sure that the setting are correct.

Guest fraser

Email is a funny one. You can normally receive via POP3 from anywhere. However, you can only send via the SMTP server for the network you are accessing. This is to cut down spam sending via their boxes, username/password on SMTP is rare. So, on Orange it's smtp.orange.net, NTL smtp.ntlworld.com and so on. Every decent ISP has these settings on their site.

You might be able to get a mini SMTP relayer for the phone though, and just send via localhost. Actually, this would solve a few problems for me, if I find anything on it I'll post back.

Guest merf99

Thanks, I now have e-mail working fine over GPRS (just needed to use the orange smtp server), now just to find a wifi spot I can use.

Edited by merf99

Guest blaster
You might be able to get a mini SMTP relayer for the phone though, and just send via localhost. Actually, this would solve a few problems for me, if I find anything on it I'll post back.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If your using the M2000 the best thing to do is get set up with something like GMAIL. You can then use SMTP Authentication to use whatever connection you want on the fly weather it be WiFI or GPRS. If you use SMTP on Gmail, be sure to click the options button when entering the outgoing smtp Server (Which is smtp.gmail.com), then click next to bypass the Connecting Automatically screen and tick the optionsWhich say Outgoing email requires authenticaion and also tick Requre SSL. When you then send mail you don't have to keep changing the SMTP server. There are no port settings for the device because it attempts to try and detect them on the fly (which i guess is a bugger if you install an SMTP server on a nonstandard port).

Anyway Hope that helps. If anyone wants Gmail I may be able to swing an account or 2 your way. Reply to this post and i'll check back in a couple days.

Guest fraser
If your using the M2000 the best thing to do is get set up with something like GMAIL. You can then use SMTP Authentication

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No way, Gmail offers SMTP access WITH authentication and SSL?!? These are the reasons I run my own mail server, no one else did them when I set it up. I already have a Gmail account, I've not really been using it though. Need to check this out, thanks for the pointer!!

Guest fraser

Hmm, can't use it for my purposes by the looks of it. I have my own IMAPS server holding many years of mail, all backed up etc. I access this directly on the phone, because IMAP is the best way I've found to access the same mailbox from multiple clients.

Unfortunately, the user/password settings need to be the same for both the incomming and outgoing accounts. I have no chance of getting my local network username on gmail now! Plus my own server username would need to have an account with a "@gmail.com" at the end, which will cause all sorts of problems. Maybe I'll figure out a way around it.