Orange Age Verification

Guest Samsonite

Guest Samsonite

whilst , err, surfing for, umm, 'stuff' over WAP i bumped into the age verification page from Orange World before i could proceed to the next sextion (sic).

i didnt go thru the procedure (honest!) but it set me off on a question...

why does orange ask you to verify your age for a contract phone?

You have to provide two forms of ID to get the kit in the first place so they know you are of consenting age :-s

I have a small objection to giving my credit card to them (altho i think that was one of the ID ).

i can understand why it's a valid practice for PAYG situations but dont you have to be over 18 to have a contract?

thoughts?

Guest Chaser81

Orange have a responsibility to ensure (as much as possible) that no-one under the age of 18 years old is able to view adult material through their services. Quite a lot of people buy contract phones and then give them to their kids to use, and its because of this eventuality that Orange must ensure that you are over 18.

Vodafone have the same system in place, and if you dont want to give your credit card details to prove your age, on Vodafone you can go into the Vodafone shop with some ID to have the restriction removed for free, so I would assume that Orange would do the same in their Orange Retail Stores.

Guest Samsonite

i do understand the overall thinking for something like this but still think its a half assed attempt to keep the regulators happy...

Adult material is still available thru non-WAP surfing and there is no proof required that way!!

p'raps there could be a tick box on the new agreement that is signed by an over 18 to give permission at sign up...?

Guest Chaser81

There already is.

When you sign up a new contract on line now, there is a section where you can request the removal of the restriction online.

Similarly, I work in a mobile phone retailer, and when we put a contract through on our systems, we have the option of removing the restriction at sign up as well. We never do though, cause its easier to leave it on and let the customer sort it out themselves with customer services (saves any issues if we remove it and then adult content makes its way into the hands of a child and we get blamed). If a customer requested it be removed however, then we would.

Next time you take a contract out in a store on online, just ask.