12 hours of standby?

Guest spvdk

Guest spvdk

Hi

I got my Qtek S100 3 days ago, and it has quickly developed into a nightmare of completely useless standby time. Not even a single day is available, even if I don't tough the device at all. Before I dump it again, I wanna ask if someone here has any suggestions.

The standby time is as bad as on the original SPV, meaning a max of 12 hours. If I use it, this number drops rapidly.

For example, it has been charging overnight. I turned it on and found 100% charge. Fine. Then I pulled the SD card, thinking it could be draining the battery, and clicked to see the GPRS useage. Then checked the battery again. All this was done in under two minutes, yet the battery dropped down to 98% already!

When I got my Magician, I charged the battery for 8 hours, as suggested in the manual. Then I updated the ROM to the latest version and installed the 512MB SD card (Dane elec) and installed a few apps from SPB. Full Screen Keyboard, Time, GPRS monitor and Pocket Plus. I did the network settings and that was about that. No games or other power hungry software installed.

Signal strength is fine in my area. The backligt is set to turn off after 1 minute. I have also tried having the power turn off after 3 minutes, but that didn't make a huge impact on the battery time.

I have been reading a bit on this forum and it looks like most of you get 3-4 days of standby, like I do on my SPV C500. Then howcome I only get less than a single day? Please help.

Guest GothTeddy

Go into Beam and untick "Receive all incoming beams" - i found this to be a killer.

Don't wory about the SD card, in standby mode it powers it down.

The backlight can use up a ridiculous abount of power, so turn it dowsn to the lowest level you're comfortable with (mine's at the very first level).

Guest Chaser81

Have you tried lowering the brightness of the backlight? I have my backlight set one notch above "off". The screen is still visible and it saves a hell of a lot of battery. Using this, I get about two and a half full days use out of my Jam (and thats a few calls, loads of texts, some games playing and a fair amount of MP3 use).

Guest mike-oh

My standby time is quite good. I'm sure that if i left it with the screen and backlight off and didn't touch it i'm confident that i'd get around 3-4 days out of it!

With quite heavy use, (i.e. bluetooth sync, msn, surfing, texts, usually streamed music on full blast in the bathroom for 15 mins in the morn) it'l be on 50% by the end of the day.

But i charge it every night so i can't complain!

Guest spvdk

Thanks a lot for your thoughts and ideas.

My backlight is already at the lowest level, but I have turned off "Receive all incoming beams" and hope this will make a big difference.

Do you let your Magician auto-power off after a few minutes, or do you just have it turn off the backlight? I like having the screen turned on, even though it is hard to see anything with the backlight off. But if this kills the battery, I guess I'll have to power it down instead...?

Guest Chaser81

I always have mine to auto-power off after a few minutes. If you have set yours to always have the screen on, that will be whats sucking your power. Having the LCD on, even if the backlight is off is a huge power drain on the battery.