POP3 problem

Guest DomConway

Guest DomConway

I have a couple of POP3 email accounts set up on my C500 - one for orange.net, one for zoom.co.uk. Both can receive messages using a passthrough connection, however only the orange.net one works via GPRS - the zoom.co.uk one gives me the message "An error occurred while downloading messages. Verify you have coverage etc etc" (very helpful, not)

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing that or how I can get round it? Is there any way of getting further information on exactly what caused the error?

Thanks in advance...

Edited by DomConway

Guest chucky.egg

It could be that you can only access the account using their dial-up services if you are on the "Anytime" package.

Failing that check your username and password is the obvious place to start

Guest DomConway
It could be that you can only access the account using their dial-up services if you are on the "Anytime" package.

Failing that check your username and password is the obvious place to start

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's the odd thing - I can access it via passthrough, even though my net connection is via Telewest broadband, so nothing to do with Zoom. I've checked username & password, but again it can't be that as it all works using passthrough, also it's the same username and password as I use in Outlook Express. I'm baffled!

Guest Restorer

Are you connected to the pc when you try this? My email won't work on GPRS while the usb cable is plugged in!

In fact I'm finding the whole email thing very hit and miss. It really irritates me that it should work only some of the time. This means the settings must be correct. Other times it tells me there's no mail to download when I know there is. Other times it just hangs on either the "sending and receiving" or the "disconnecting" and I have to shut it down through task manager.

Very frustrating.

Guest DomConway
Are you connected to the pc when you try this? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It works when the handset is connected to my PC using a passthrough connection, and doesn't work when it's using GPRS either plugged in or not. Frustrating indeed.

Guest dez16v

Hi Guys,

I have had poor experiences when trying to get my email sorted. I mainly use Hotmail but when I try to view my email inbox via GPRS it will load the Hotmail page for me to sign in, but then I get a message saying that only Hotmail customers that have a 'Premium' account can access their email this way. So this annoyed me to start with. Then I read in the forums elsewhere on this site that I should try using 'IZYMAIL', so installed it and synchronised it with Outlook Express but it is still very hit and miss. I do not get any notice on my spv c500 telling me that I have an email in the inbox. So I do not think that I have set it up correctly. Has anyone out there successfully got their Hotmail working via GPRS on their spv c500? If so please reply to this post with how it is done.

Cheers !!

dez16v :cry:

Guest Confucious

@dez16v - Join Modaco Plus and you get hotmail to POP3 . Provided you have had a hotmail.com address forr a while it works a treat (Can you set up youtr Hotmail account in Outlook?)

Newer Hotmail.com accounts and all hotmail.co.uk accounts don't work but by the way you can't even view it online I guess you have a newre account in which case you will probably have to upgrade your hotmail a/c.

@DomConway - If you can access your email via passthrough then your username and password are OK, lots of people get stuck sending email which works on passthrough but not GPRS due to the SMTP server rejecting connections not made through the ISP who hosts it, hence Chucky.egg's suggestion but this doesn't appear to be your problem. I can only sugest calling zoom's tech support and seeing if they can help.