GPRS connetion to Laptop via BT

Guest duncan888

Guest duncan888

Hi, does anyone have a guide or know how to set up a laptop to connect to the C500 via bluetooth to use GPRS.

Thanks, any help will be very greatful.

Guest petecropper

Duncan,

You need to first pair the phone and the laptop via bluetooth, at which point you should be able to find the services running on the bluetooth device. Look for a bluetooth option in the bottom right of the screen (in your tray of icons).

There is probably an option there which will show you what services are available.

From mine, I selected the phone I was using and hit properties.

It showed me that Dial-Up Networking was running on COM9 port.

You can then go to Control Panel and Phone and Modem options. You should be able to add the phone in as a modem, and if necessary select COM9 as the port that it is running on.

Then create a normal dial-up connection to use that modem and then (and this is the important bit) set the dial number to a specific number that triggers a GPRS dial.

If you're in the UK and on the Orange network it is *99# that you need to dial. If you're with other providers then you'll need to ask them.

I find you don't need the username and password in the dialup box, as the phone will use the settings it has for GPRS once you trigger it to make a connection.

Sorry that isn't that technical / full of screenshots, but hopefully it will get you going until someone can do a more sophisticated answer.

Pete.

Guest Confucious

*99# was a number dreamt up by an Ericsson techy testing Vodafone's GPRS setup years ago but seems to have been accepted as a worldwide standard!

You might need an init string as well though.