ATTW better signal strength than Cingular

Guest jvo8

I have the SMT5600 with ATTW, unlocked it and merged over to Cingular. Since then, my signal have been weaker. At home, I had up to full bar when I was with ATTW. Now, I'm luck to get on bar on my signal strength.

But when I got into my settings/phone/network and choose ATTW, my signal will then bump up. But this setting only last for awhile until the phone defaults back to Cingular.

Does anyone know how to resolve this problem? I checked with Cingular and they said since my phone was an ATT, it will not pick up both service automatically and give me the stronger one. F#ck Cingular!

Any registry settings to fix this problem?

Guest Socrates

I had this problem in reverse. I still have ATT, and Cingular has better reception IN GENERAL around my area.

Until they merge all the antenas to one system it's not going to auto switch correctly.

But what you can do for a half way work around is just set the network selection manual and choose one fo the two networks. That is what I do. Basically, I'm roaming 99% of the time on the Cingular network, and only if there is no signal at all (which is rare) do I have to switch back.

I posted on here a while back asking if there was a way to one-click or two-click from network to network, and no one seemed to know one. Someone suggested that I reorder the network preference list in the phone, and that worked better, excpet that every time you restart the phone or go in and out of range it sets the order back to default - making that option just about useless.

For me, even when I put it in manual mode and select ATTw network, it will roam and I'll have better signal, but after a while, it'll still switch back. Man, its frustrating.

Guest McHale

It's all irrelevant. Soon, there will be no AT&T towers. All AT&T towers and all Cingular towers will become 310-410.

310-380, 310-170, 310-150 will all be converted to 310-410.

So, either way, it will be taken care of. Your SIM will receive an OTA with the latest preferred network list and everything should be good.

-Mc

Will this be an automatic process or will i have to come into a cingular shop? I'm really unhappy with Cingular and their service. Now that they're one company, Cing. is also charging the BS $1.75 like ATTW was doing. Plus they bumped up all their Media data plan. Those F'ing bastards!!

Guest McHale

it is all automatic. It's a simple OTA they send automatically (OTA stands for Over The Air).

And I agree with you on the rates. Most of their rates changed for the worst in some way. The decreased (again) the number of hours for N&W minutes. [sarcasm]Soon, nights will be from 11pm to 2am. [/sarcasm]. I don't see what raising all their prices is going to do unless they are trying to make people choose cheaper carriers (a.k.a. T-Mobile, Sprint, etc).

-Mc

Cingular Wireless - Raising the Bar. Translated: Raising the prices, lowering expectations... one customer at a time.

Guest Socrates

BTW, I've been on ATT since it was LA Cellular her in Los Angeles. A LOOOONG time.

The reason I always stayed on ATT was that I Was using their TDMA (good network) and their customer service was always great.

Since they have been bought by Cingular, I have had NOTHING but customer service issues. Everything call I have to make to them is like a living nightmare.

Hopefully, by the time my contract is up in December, Verizon will finally have a decent MS Smartphone at a realistic price point.

Edited by Socrates

Guest McHale
Since they have been bought by Cingular, I have had NOTHING but customer service issues. Everything call I have to make to them is like a living nightmare.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sounds like your CS experience has been great compared to what everyone else gets from them. I usually use the F word a few times when I describe my experience with them.

T-Mobile looks more appealing every day...

-Mc