Smartphone wireless modem

Guest megahead34

Guest megahead34

Hi,

I have an SP3i, i know it has a wireless modem. How does this work, does that mean i can get on the internet from anywhere if i have dial up service from a provider.

I know that T-Mobile offers internet plans, which use GPRS. But is it possible to browse the web without GPRS on a smartphone?

The wierd thing is that while my phone is connected to my PC, i can browse the web on my phone without using GPRS, how is this possible?

I'm just so confused. :roll:

How does this whole wireless modem thing work, someone please help me. THanks.

:D

Ahmed

Guest martin

You can use the smartphone as a modem for a PC, laptop, PDA, etc.

The smartphone creates a data connection on the GPRS network or GSM network and the PC can use this data connection via the smartphone.

If your network provider allows it, you can create a circuit switched data connection on the GSM network by dialling into an ISP like freeserve. You would be charged per minute for this data connection at a rate defined by your network provider. Some network operators choose not to give GSM data connections and prefer to concentrate on GPRS for all their data services.

GPRS is the better option as you are only charged for amount of data transferred (it's not time based).

Hope this helps :D