C500: GPRS hangs at home, not at office

Guest user888

Guest user888

Dear forum members, I hope you can help me diagnosing the following problem. (read the blue text if you are only quickscanning the post)

When I'm at home the GPRS and GSM communication on my phone seem to lock up when I've used GPRS by browsing the internet or wap sites.

I can browse the internet for a short time (half a minute, maybe longer) and then it stops responding. The browser only responds with "Connecting..." at all sites I try to access. Even worse, from that time on I cannot dial out and I cannot be called. All other stuff on the phone that doesn't use GPRS or GSM still works. The only way to get the phone working again is to shut it off and on (reboot). The funny thing is, at my office everything is fine. The GSM reception at home is better then at the office...

I contacted Dutch Orange support and they are investigating the problem. They knew of more cases but still can't offer any explanation, workaround or fix.

Are there more people with the same problem?

I found one person on the usenet newsgroups but can't reach him (can't read his E-mail adres on Google Groups...). He posted this message:

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.smartphone

I've been browsing the web fine on my MPX220. Some places in my house there is NO service. If I go to that area, then back into a service area and try to go online, it gets stuck at "connecting... The only way to get back online is to turn my phone off and back on (reboot). Has no one else experience this?

Could it be interference? I have Wireless LAN in my house (802.11g @ channel 8 believe) and a Dect phone (GSM and 802.11g+dect is on different bands).

What I'm going to do is to:

- try to access internet outside the house

- use a C500 of a collegue of me (to see if it's phone-related or network related)

- try to see if it is a fixed interval

Any tip to diagnose or workaround the problem is welcome.

What I already did:

- Using the taskmanager to kill internet explorer doesn't help. Is there a way to reset GSM/GPRS on the phone without switching it off and on (bootings is so slowwww on a C500)...

- Changing the GPRS timeout (linger value), didn't help.

- Explicitely hang up the GRPS connection with the red phone button. Didn't help.

Btw, phone is out-of-the-box brand new. Experiencing this problem from the start.

greeting,

Maurice

Edited by user888

Guest Confucious

Not had this problem myself but to disconect GPRS the red call button doesn't work - but if you hold down the "Home" button (the one with a picture of a house) you get a menu with option 1 being "Disconnect GPRS" (or you do on the C500 with Orange in the UK)

One other thing you haven't tried is to move house.... :D

Guest user888

I will try that, thanks. Can't try it now, because I'm at the office ;-). Not having to switch off my phone would be very nice.

Not had this problem myself but to disconect GPRS the red call button doesn't work - but if you hold down the "Home" button (the one with a picture of a house) you get a menu with option 1 being "Disconnect GPRS" (or you do on the C500 with Orange in the UK)

One other thing you haven't tried is to move house....  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest Confucious
I will try that, thanks. Can't try it now, because I'm at the office ;-). Not having to switch off my phone would be very nice.

Glad to hear that you are going to take my advice and try moving house :D

Guest Toutia

Have had the same, still in the middle of it, Also with Dutch Orange. Didn't noticed your link of the problem to the place and coverage.

What I know for sure: It's not your phone! on 3 different C500 I'd had the same. It's probably the sim card.

Orange posted a new one to me, when sorted out I'll post here.

Did you noticed your e-mail coverage is also corrupted? It seems to me the phone/sim hangs in a loop.

It looks a bit like a problem with telfort and HTC products.

Check these threads;

http://www.pocketpc-club.nl/forum/showthre...11&page=1&pp=15

My problem you'll find on page 3

http://www.pocketpc-club.nl/forum/showthre...ht=onbereikbaar

By the way put Flightmodus on, then of again. That's a fast reset which works.

Still a lousy problem, bugg, whatever

Hope we solve it

Guest user888

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. I'm glad to hear that it's not my phone, because otherwise I had to borrow a C500 of someone to diagnose the problem. I also like to hear the results of your new SIM card.

Btw I've diagnosed the problem further:

- In house the problem is almost everywhere

- I also tested it outside the house and didn't notice the problem

Yesterday I found out that reconnecting to the provider (4-1-8-menu-2) resets the problem, but your flightmode off/on tip is less time intesive... ;-)

At which locations do you see the problem? At different? Or only in your home? Do you have an older SIM card (like me, I extended my subscription, the SIM card is 2 years old).

Greetings,

Maurice

Have had the same, still in the middle of it, Also with Dutch Orange. Didn't noticed your link of the problem to the place and coverage.

What I know for sure: It's not your phone! on 3 different C500 I'd had the same. It's probably the sim card.

Orange posted a new one to me, when sorted out I'll post here.

Did you noticed your e-mail coverage is also corrupted? It seems to me the phone/sim hangs in a loop.

It looks a bit like a problem with telfort and HTC products.

Check these threads;

http://www.pocketpc-club.nl/forum/showthre...11&page=1&pp=15

My problem you'll find on page 3

http://www.pocketpc-club.nl/forum/showthre...ht=onbereikbaar

By the way put Flightmodus on, then of again. That's a fast reset which works.

Still a lousy problem, bugg, whatever

Hope we solve it

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest Toutia

Maurice,

My SIM is from Okt 2004

For yesterday I haven't realised the problem could be place related, I will test it later still I need some shelter it's a rainy day

surely at home it's wrong. Hasen't been from the beginning tough, it's since 6 weeks now.

Do you use your e-mail?

What do you mean with "reconnecting to the provider (4-1-8-menu-2) resets the problem"? Begin-4-1-8-menu-2? I don't have the 8 option after begin-4-1 only 1 through 7 and 9, 8 is missing.

All the best,

Toutia

Edited by Toutia

Guest user888

With reconnecting to the provider I mean to log in to the GSM network again:

Start

4-settings

1-Phone

8-Networks

right button (menu)

2-Select new network

But Flightmode on/off does the same.

Dutch Orange is investigating the problem, they think it's related to the cell (their GSM antenna) itself.

Yes, I also use my E-mail ;-)

Maurice,

My SIM is from Okt 2004

For yesterday I haven't realised the problem could be place related, I will test it later still I need some shelter it's a rainy day

surely at home it's wrong. Hasen't been from the beginning tough, it's since 6 weeks now.

Do you use your e-mail?

What do you mean with "reconnecting to the provider (4-1-8-menu-2) resets the problem"? Begin-4-1-8-menu-2? I don't have the 8 option after begin-4-1 only 1 through 7 and 9, 8 is missing.

All the best,

Toutia

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest Toutia

Oke,

have been to the barber with my kid not so far away, There the gprs at first hand seems better it holds a certainly a longer time even with sites wich at home always destroy the connection, then something strange appears gprs did go wrong and doesn't connect properly anymore but gsm was still working. After a soft reset It was like at home again, gprs goes wrong fast with the destruction of the gsm connection.

Oke,

have received a new phone and a new Sim today. (Long story at the end Orange did solve it well)

gprs problem with the gsm destruction again the same, So I think it's plausible to say it's in the network, bit complex because it's affects the state of the phone (otherwise the reset of the phone wouldn't work). So Orange has a problem, even maybe Orange has a big problem. Still it seems a bit like the Telfort problem.

Hope Orange does a better job solving it.

Don't you have any problems with your email Maurice?

All the best

Toutia