MPx220, MP3 Ringtones and the dreaded 'Beep'

Guest sereno

Guest sereno

I've had my 220 for the last 4 months and have enjoyed it. I've downloaded ringtones - no problem there.

I now would like to use my own MP3s (or shortened forms thereof) and am having difficulty...

I can create the MP3 and store it in the 'My Documents' folder - no problem - WMP plays it fine.

I then move it to the \Storage\Application Data\Sounds directory. I can select the MP3 in Settings->Sounds->Ring tone, but all it gives me is a beep. (Note that downloaded ringtones, at least DRM content ones, work fine).

I've done a reset on the phone (held the blue button down while turning on the phone), but that simply lost my downloaded ringtones (GRRR! :oops: ). I still can't get my phone to select my created MP3s - it just 'beeps' at me.

This appears it should be simple, but I can't figure it out for the life of me... Help!

Jon

Guest squall

most likely a problem with the type of encoding, see the articles section of modaco, there are guides there to converting media.

welcome to the site

Guest sereno

Sorry if I'm a bit 'thick' on this one...

I don't know of any specific encoding with MP3s. I know that the bitrate can be set to different levels, but am unaware of any encoding for MP3s like PCM, etc.

I looked through the articles but I couldn't find anything that related to MP3 encoding.

Any further help would be appreciated.

Jon

Guest MadSci

I had odd problems like this too, then I replaced my SanDisk card with one from PQI. Voila! The previously 'unplayable' files worked just fine.

MadSci

Guest sereno

rankinl -

Thanks for the reply, but I have seen other threads that talk about using MP3s for the main ringtone, but not for the other tones.

One person had the same problem, was told to reset the phone, and voila! His MP3 now worked.

Also, I have downloaded ringtones that 'appear' to be in MP3 format... I say 'appear' because of the naming convention.... *****.mp3-drm. I assume the 'drm' stands for digital rights management. But the first three characters are definitely 'mp3'.

I hate to think that I may simply have found a bug, but why can others get this to work when I can't? Do MP3s have to be mono? Do they have to be a certain bit-rate?

Thanks to all for your replies so far... I continue to investigate.

Jon

rankinl -

Thanks for the reply, but I have seen other threads that talk about using MP3s for the main ringtone, but not for the other tones.

One person had the same problem, was told to reset the phone, and voila!  His MP3 now worked.

Also, I have downloaded ringtones that 'appear' to be in MP3 format... I say 'appear' because of the naming convention.... *****.mp3-drm.  I assume the 'drm' stands for digital rights management.  But the first three characters are definitely 'mp3'.

I hate to think that I may simply have found a bug, but why can others get this to work when I can't?  Do MP3s have to be mono?  Do they have to be a certain bit-rate?

Thanks to all for your replies so far... I continue to investigate.

Jon

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How are you creating your mp3 rings? What software are you using?

I use Audacity (can get it from download.com) then download the lame_enc.dll to reencrypt the mp3 file when you export it as an mp3.

This works great for me.

To simplify the process I attached a winzip folder that contains the software.exe. and the .dll.

There is a .txt file included with simple instruction. If you have any other questions about it let me know. :D

Ringtone_funpack.zip

Guest sereno

Pmac:

All right! That worked!

In answer to your question, I had simply ripped some songs with MusicMatch. That didn't work.

I then used a shareware program to shorten the MP3 - I'm sorry I don't remember which one - it's on a PC in another location.

I guess my stupidity led me to believe that 'an MP3 is an MP3' (except for the different bit rates). Obviously I was wrong. Does anyone have an explanation?

Audacity worked for me. Now to create a library of ring tones.... :D

Jon

Pmac:

All right!  That worked!

In answer to your question, I had simply ripped some songs with MusicMatch.  That didn't work.

I then used a shareware program to shorten the MP3 - I'm sorry I don't remember which one - it's on a PC in another location.

I guess my stupidity led me to believe that 'an MP3 is an MP3' (except for the different bit rates).  Obviously I was wrong.  Does anyone have an explanation?

Audacity worked for me.  Now to create a library of ring tones....  :D

Jon

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good to hear, enjoy! It seems that other are trying out the software as well. :D

Guest riven

Yeah...haven't yet, but I plan to. I just got my phone a few days ago and want to add a few new rings to it. Thanks for all the info PMac....

::cheers::

Guest tomiomni

Hi,

have a problem that fits this subject ... would apreciate some comment ...

... did an mp3 ringtone ... and saved it in the "appdata/sound" dir. Switched off the phone, and after that I could locate it in settings/sound, but I can only select it in the "RINGTONE" category, I would like to use the sound as "EMAIL or SMS" notification, but in this category only some uploaded WAVs appear.

Any hint ??

Thank,

Tom

Guest sereno

Tomiomni:

Other places I have read state that the MP3s are only available for the main ringtone and not any other notification.

I'm sure if I have that wrong someone will correct me!

Jon