C500 on T-mobile in LA

Guest ivanmacx

Guest ivanmacx

I'm in LA at the moment, using a T-mobile to go, PAYG sim card on my unlocked C500. It's working fine, but I'm constantly roaming on Cingular rather than using T-mobile, which I think costs me a bit more.

The phone can't even see the t-mobile network when I list the networks available. It shows cingular and AT&T wireless. This even happened when I was sitting next to a friend who had full strength signal on her T-mobile phone.

I'm wondering two things. Does anyone know what band T-mobile use in LA (Beverly Hills)? I read in another post that T-mobile is all 1900 in the US.

Secondly, do I have to tell the phone which band to use, or does it select automatically. I looked for settings, but there doesn't seem to be a menu item so I assume it works on all three automatically.

Can anyone help?

Guest abatis

You could go to Settings>Phone>Network>Menu (right button) >select a network and try to force T0Mo.

JUst to let you know T-Mo and Cingular have a roaming agreement, I have a national plan and never have paid anymore to raom on Cingular in California. Even on the unlimited GPRS - not extra charge. You may want to call T-Mo or go online to check.

Guest Islanti
The phone can't even see the t-mobile network when I list the networks available.  It shows cingular and AT&T wireless.  This even happened when I was sitting next to a friend who had full strength signal on her T-mobile phone.

Can anyone help?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

T-Mobile has no network in Southern California. I live here and use my T-Mobile SIM in my i-mate SP3. I'm always "roaming" to Cingular. T-Mobile branded phones have an override to show the Cingular network ID as "T-Mobile", which is why only unlocked phones see this.

And yes, T-Mobile is 1900MHz only.

Guest ivanmacx

Thanks very much guys. That explains it. Funnily enough I've been on the phone to T-Mobile about this, and you know more about it than they do! I don't know why I'm surprised.

Guest Islanti
Thanks very much guys.  That explains it.  Funnily enough I've been on the phone to T-Mobile about this, and you know more about it than they do!  I don't know why I'm surprised.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It confused the heck out of me when I got my i-mate SP3. I thought something was wrong with it! It kept picking Cingular as my network (and showed only Cingular and AT&T)! I dug around and finally found a mention of someone who spent literally days on and off the phone with T-Mobile before finally reaching someone who knew that yes, in fact, that was normal. :shock: I'm glad we can all benefit from their experience. I'm not surprised, though... most Americans don't use a phone the carrier didn't give them.