Initial ActiveSync won't recognise my c500.

Guest kaustav

Guest kaustav

I just bought an Orange SPV C500. Great little smarty pants phone. I noted the CD version of ActiveSync which it was supplied with was old so I downloaded version 3.8 from MS web site. I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 with MS Firewall set to treat ActiveSync as an acception. I installed ActiveSync 3.8 and then connected the C500 to my laptop's USB 2 port. Cicked "next" and ActiveSync tried to find my phone. No luck. It cycled through all com ports, IrDA and USB. The review at the end says that USB is abled and available, yet it cannot find the phone. So I disabled MS firewall and tried again. Still no luck. What is going? I've done some searching on this forum but I can't seem to find anyone having a similar problem to me. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Kaustav

Guest tudor

Try to restart the computer, then start ActiveSync from the start menu (it would not start automatically until you connect it once to the mobile device).

Guest kaustav
Try to restart the computer, then start ActiveSync from the start menu (it would not start automatically until you connect it once to the mobile device).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the advice. I'll give that a go when I get home tonight. I noticed that ActiveSync autoloads when I boot my laptop and its icon is present on my system tray. However you say I should start ActiveSync from the start menu so I'll give that a try and let you know how it went.

Thanks,

Kaustav

Guest chucky.egg

I've also noticed that using a USB hub (especially with other things attached and switched on) often causes problems with my phone and ActiveSync

I think it's a power issue over the USB hub, but until I get a PCI USB card I can't prove that

Guest tudor
I noticed that ActiveSync autoloads when I boot my laptop and its icon is present on my system tray.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If the icon shows up, then it starts. Check what chucky.egg suggested about the hub.

If you have any power management on the laptop, that may de-activate the USB if not powered from the mains.

Guest kaustav

OK I have tried this out again. I load ActiveSync from the start menu after restarting my laptop but still it will not detect the phone. Other steps taken:

1. make sure no other sync software loaded. TRUE

2. try all four USB ports on my laptop. Two are high power, two are regular power. On all four ports the ActiveSync does not detect the phon3.

3. No other USB devices attached? TRUE

I'm at a loss :-(

Guest jporch316

1. uninstall active sync

2. re boot machine

3. install new version of active sync (3.8)

4. make sure active sync is in system tray (inactive)

5. plug in phone/usb

6. active sync should sync

one question - are you using the usb lead supplied.

If the above doesnt work try active sync 3.7

Occasionally my active sync fails to find the phone (never used to happen with moto mpx200) - I just unplug and replug phone a few times and evetually it works.

I have had probs with other usb leads (mpx200 lead) with c500.

Guest Looby

:evil:

1. uninstall active sync

2. re boot machine

3. install new version of active sync (3.8)

4. make sure active sync is in system tray (inactive)

5. plug in phone/usb

6. active sync should sync

one question - are you using the usb lead supplied.

If the above doesnt work try active sync 3.7

Occasionally my active sync fails to find the phone (never used to happen with moto mpx200) - I just unplug and replug phone a few times and evetually it works.

I have had probs with other usb leads (mpx200 lead) with c500.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you checked the menu on your c500?

1. Start

2.Active-sync

3.Menu

4.Options

5.PC Settings

6.Menu

7.Advanced

8.Tick-Enable PC Sync and check if on USB/Bluetooth

Restart phone and retry.

Also check the FIREWALL SETTINGS on your PC. This can stop The Active-Sync.

from connecting. Antivirus Software can see it as a threat.

Edited by Looby

Guest kaustav
:evil:

Have you checked the menu on your c500?

1. Start

2.Active-sync

3.Menu

4.Options

5.PC Settings

6.Menu

7.Advanced

8.Tick-Enable PC Sync and check if on USB/Bluetooth

Restart phone and retry.

Also check the FIREWALL SETTINGS on your PC. This can stop The Active-Sync.

from connecting. Antivirus Software can see it as a threat.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, checked ALL of the above. I am seriously starting to think the USB cable is dead. Then again, when I tried communicating with the phone via IrDA that did not work either, but that might be due to the fact that I took a pure guess as to how to activate Ir on my c500 which is quite different to my Nokia or Sony/E. I think I'll take the phone in to the local Orange store and see if they can Sync with their instore PC. If that work, it'll probably prove it's the cable. Drat.

Kaustav

Guest Looby
Yep, checked ALL of the above. I am seriously starting to think the USB cable is dead. Then again, when I tried communicating with the phone via IrDA that did not work either, but that might be due to the fact that I took a pure guess as to how to activate Ir on my c500 which is quite different to my Nokia or Sony/E. I think I'll take the phone in to the local Orange store and see if they can Sync with their instore PC. If that work, it'll probably prove it's the cable.  Drat.

Kaustav

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If it tries to sync but fails then you will get an error message on the C500 sync-screen, if you do not then it seems no signal is being sent. You can also go into Active Sync on your PC , File, Get Connected, then follow the Wizard which will scan all your ports. Hope you still have some hair left and keep us posted we all want to know if you succeed!

Guest kaustav
I 'upgraded' activesync on my pc and had the same problems as you, so I uninstalled it and then reinstalled and it works fine now

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I tried that also, still no luck. I'm going to give it one last go tonight using all the suggestions from everyone on this thread and if it still isn't working I'll take the USB lead back in to the Orange store I got the phone from and make LOUD Rhino noises ;-)

Kaustav.

Guest kaustav
Yes, I tried that also, still no luck. I'm going to give it one last go tonight using all the suggestions from everyone on this thread and if it still isn't working I'll take the USB lead back in to the Orange store I got the phone from and make LOUD Rhino noises ;-)

Kaustav.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Epic update! :-) I've managed to sync by enabled IR on the laptop. YAY! Bluetooth also works, presumably, though I've not tried it yet. Tried USB once more on all four USB ports, but no luck! That's it! Taking phone back with cable tomorrow to make Rhino noises as promised to sales assistant, who will probably just want to return my whole phone to Orange... grrrr... monkies!

Kaustav

Guest kaustav

It lives! New USB cable handed over to me with no questions asked at the Orange store. Phone auto detects as soon as I plug it in and it establishes a good partnership. HURRAH!

Kaustav.