070 numbers? who? why?

Guest mike-oh

Guest mike-oh

Hello,

I've just been phoned from an 070 number, it must've rung just a couple of times then hung up. Since i'd just a phoned a friend a minute or two prior and only got her answer phone i thought it might be her trying to ring back on one of her mates phones as she rarely has credit.

But the 070 looked odd so i googled for 070 numbers. It would seem they're a way to give people a number to contact you on which then forwards the call to your number so you remain annonymous.

It also says it cost 35p a min to ring these numbers on.

So i thought for the sake of a few p i'll ring back and see what happens. Something rings then i get a cheesy guy saying we're trying to locate your contact, ring ring ring. Sorry we were unable to find your contact we're trying a different number please hold, crap music i, hang up. At no point did it say how much this was costing.

My question is this....

Is it some kind of scam praying on peoples curiousity to keep ringing and find out who it was that tried to contact them whilst running up a bill the person has no idea about?

For those interested the number is 07011301839

and if that's someone who genuinely tried to contact me then tough doo doo, you shouldn't have hung up or should've answered. And if they dialed the wrong number they should've had the decency to tell me.

Edited by mike-oh

Guest Drewtech

The original 07000 and 07074 numbers were landline and mobile numbers that were intended to be non-locational transferable numbers for businesses and individuals where the rest of the number could be spelled out. So you might have 07000 ANDERS which would really be 07000 263377 but would be easy to remember. They were charged at BT national rate (and I think still are) but they have never really taken off in any big way. Since then all mobile numbers were changed to begin 07 and other 070 numbers were introduced. They are not all a scam but I am sure some of them are.

Guest MrMagoo
Hello,

My question is this....

Is it some kind of scam praying on peoples curiousity to keep ringing and find out who it was that tried to contact them whilst running up a bill the person has no idea about?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is not neccessarily a scam...

I have an 070 number from yac.com - it is free for me to use and has many features such as fax to email, answerphone, round robin dialling (which u experienced) ....

it can be quite usefull, but it does cost the caller more to call/fax u (which makes it great as a number to give to websites etc, because it costs them more to spam call u)