Anybody still w/ AT&T wireless?

Guest grumpy_old_technobyte

I know of only one place that sells new (boxed) AT&T phones. Fry's Electronics and their supply is dwindling. Has anyone tried an imate phones on AT&T or SDA's either? Curious to know if Cingular makes all AT&T customers use their bandwidth and the ended 850. i've noticed that my signal has changed since Cingular bought out AT&T. Now I wonder how i would fare with an unlocked phone on AT&T service.

Guest BigJimInDC
I know of only one place that sells new (boxed) AT&T phones. Fry's Electronics and their supply is dwindling. Has anyone tried an imate phones on AT&T or SDA's either? Curious to know if Cingular makes all AT&T customers use their bandwidth and the ended 850. i've noticed that my signal has changed since Cingular bought out AT&T. Now I wonder how i would fare with an unlocked phone on AT&T service.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The SMT5600 I bought in DC a month ago was bought from an ex-AT&T/now Cingular store. The sales guy told me that since Cingular hasn't certified and moved the SMT over to the Cingular network yet, and that the SMT's were locked to the AT&T network, that I would have to sign up for AT&T service.

As for service plans, I'm using the 900-voice/unlimited-data plans, and thank god as the first month alone I used over 35 megs of bandwidth...

So far, I'm loving the phone. The AC charger issue I wrote about earlier this week was one minor, but very annoying issue. Hopefully it was an isolated incident with that charger. Service via AT&T/Cingular has been great. Certainly better reception than off of Verizon, whom I had prior to buying this new phone.

Guest Socrates

I use the SMT 5600 on an AT&T account, but I have it manually set to stay roaming on Cingular since they have more towers and a better signal in my area.

I'm happy with the account paramters as in the pricing and minutes and bandwidth, etc. I'm not at all happy with Cingular as a customer service operation. At&T was always no problem tow work with, but man does Cingular SUCK.

The second that Verizon gets an equiavalent quality phone at an equivalently low price to the SMT5600, I'm gone.

Edited by Socrates

Guest bulderhart

My wife and I are moving to the states in two months. We have become addicted to our C500's and need similar phones over there. I think the SMT5600 is our only option (since this is the only Typhoon version that works on the US GSM frequencies). Does that mean we have to take an AT&T subsciption? Would they still be available when we get there?

AT&T customers are being grandfathered by Cingular. this means no new service for AT&T lines are being sold. which i must say only benefits Cingular (SBC) and not the customer. But on a happy note, they (Cingular) have honor our existing (AT&T) service agreement till we terminate it or are terminated ourselves! So I would suggest unlocking the C500's and getting service from either Cingular or Tmobile since there are the only two GSM networks available in US. Id like to get my paws on the German SDA2 when its out. No camera suits me fine, putting pictures from a 4meg digital camera on my phone look better on it than the ones shot from the phone itself.

Guest vijovame
there are the only two GSM networks available in US

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think that, Sun Com, Centennial and others, it depends where do you lives, the best choice is Cingular with mobile to mobile and rollover minutes....Maybe.... :D

Vijovame.

Guest ericweiner
AT&T customers are being grandfathered by Cingular. this means no new service for AT&T lines are being sold. which i must say only benefits Cingular (SBC) and not the customer. But on a happy note, they (Cingular) have honor our existing (AT&T) service agreement till we terminate it or are terminated ourselves! So I would suggest unlocking the C500's and getting service from either Cingular or Tmobile since there are the only two GSM networks available in US. Id like to get my paws on the German SDA2 when its out. No camera suits me fine, putting pictures from a 4meg digital camera on my phone look better on it than the ones shot from the phone itself.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just got my phone and service on AT & T.

Guest estaticd
My wife and I are moving to the states in two months. We have become addicted to our C500's and need similar phones over there. I think the SMT5600 is our only option (since this is the only Typhoon version that works on the US GSM frequencies). Does that mean we have to take an AT&T subsciption? Would they still be available when we get there?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

T-Mobile is GSM 1900 across the country, unless you're on roaming, so the C500 *should* work if it's SIM Unlocked.

Guest bulderhart

Thanks for the replies guys!

So for my understanding: the C500 is 900/1800/1900 MHz, the 5600 is 850/1800/1900 MHz. We already have unlocked C500's. Would switching over to 5600's (850 networks) give us significant benefit in terms of coverage? If so, which provider would be best in terms of coverage: T-Mo or Cingular/AT&T?

Coverage is our most important priority. I don't mind unlocking a 5600 to make it work on a T-Mo network if that would give us the best result.

Tx!

Guest MrDSL

So for my understanding: the C500 is 900/1800/1900 MHz, the 5600 is 850/1800/1900 MHz. We already have unlocked C500's. Would switching over to 5600's (850 networks) give us significant benefit in terms of coverage? If so, which provider would be best in terms of coverage: T-Mo or Cingular/AT&T?

Coverage is our most important priority. I don't mind unlocking a 5600 to make it work on a T-Mo network if that would give us the best result.

Tx!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It will help alot to know where in the US you are moving before knowing whos coverage is better..

Guest Perky295

[O.k. this is interesting about the C500 vs. SMT5600 and one having 900 and the other having 850.

O.k. I bought my SMT5600 in the states a week before the merger at AT&T. What a sweet phone. All the features of a $500/600 phone at $200+.

Now I'm on the opposite side of the tracks. I'm in Europe. I've unlocked the phone and bought a Pre-Paid package from Orange and am not missing a beat.

I'm still looking to see why I should MOVE to Cingular. It would only appear that roll-over minutes are a cool thing. I had my phone @ Cingular and sales guy was drooling all over it. He said it would be no problem to migrate to Cingular if I unlocked the phone first.

Lastly, the news is out that Cingular is testing the phone for possible inclusion in May to their lineup, so 30 days from now we'll have a verdict on where this phone stands.

Bottom line is my phone is doing just fine here in Europe.

Cheers,

Perky :D

Guest vijovame

Tx!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cingular have more signal now with AT&T than T-Mobile, but MrDSL say ''It will help alot to know where in the US you are moving before knowing whos coverage is better..'' and thats true....

Guest bulderhart
Cingular have more signal now with AT&T than T-Mobile, but MrDSL say ''It will help alot to know where in the US you are moving before knowing whos coverage is better..'' and thats true....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right, I should have mentioned that: New Jersey. But I suspect we'll also do a lot traveling in the neighbouring states.