Newbie Email query M2000

Guest andy_mac

Guest andy_mac

Sorry Newbie question

I have an M2000, using my WiFi connection I can;t get it to read or send email. I've tried setting up for GMAIL and Orange mail. I used the same setting in Outlook with no problems for GMAIL (though orange failed). I've also tried nPOP with the same problems...

basically when I try send/rec I get

sending/receiving

Receiving headers

disconnecting

then a dialogue with

"Messages cannot be downloaded t your mobile device. Make sure you are connected and that your e-mail account settings are correct. Then, try to download messages again"

On first sight this looks like security - but it works in outlook. Does Orange put any extra blocking on messages? Is there a limitation with the M2000?

I can connect via Pocket IE no problem

thanks in advance

andy_mac

Guest fraser

Gmail uses encryption, set on the phone via the more options screen. On the other hand, I have never seen a normal ISP that uses encyption. Perhaps you still have it on?

Guest andy_mac
Gmail uses encryption, set on the phone via the more options screen. On the other hand, I have never seen a normal ISP that uses encyption. Perhaps you still have it on?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the reply

Do you mean "Outgoing mail server requires authentication" and "Require SSL connection"

yes, I have those on (seem to remember reading they were required on a thread somewhere) - I'll try taking them off tonight - unfortunately I'm at work now and they block the POP/SMTP ports thru the firewall so won;t be able to try until I get home :D

For the record I'm connecting wirelessly thru an actiontec router to BT Broadband.

Guest fraser
Do you mean "Outgoing mail server requires authentication" and "Require SSL connection"

yes, I have those on

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's the ones. Did it work? I'd just have Gmail poll the other ones and use it on the phone only. The encryption is way cool. I waited for ages for it, then realised no one did it without charging a lot so I set up my own a couple of years ago! :D I was very impressed when Google offered it for free! Highly recommended; people can snoop your password from your POP connections and then use it to do other things. Hi-jacking someones mail box is also a great way to steal their identity, as it gives an attacker access to your online accounts that go through that mailbox :D