T-Mobile MDA III UK update being distributed...

Guest Pondrew

Guest Pondrew

Thanks to member Biglad_UK for bringing this to my attention.

T-Mobile UK are finally distributing the MDA III update that has been long anticipated. For the moment it seems to only be available on CD direct from T-Mobile but must surely get a web release soon...

I haven't managed to get my hands on it (yet) but most of what I've heard is good.

Seems Bluetooth is updated to the latest public released build (3500) and the external rom has also been updated to version 1.06.160. No info yet available on specific changes but Blackberry connectivity has apparently been included.

Surprised to hear though that the Rom version, Rom date and Radio version all remain the same and ARE NOT updated.

More details to follow as and when available...

Edited by Pondrew

Guest Pondrew

I finally did the update this morning and the only changes I can tell are the latest bluetooth stack (build 3500) and the inclusion of "Instant Email with Blackberry" although you obviously have to subscribe with T-Mobile to use the extra service.

Still, somethings better then nothing.

Guest Pondrew

Not unless Orange makes a business decision to offer Blackberry connectivity.

Besides, doesn't the M2000 already come with Bluetooth build 3500? That's half the update!

Guest martinlaidlaw
I finally did the update this morning

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How did you get the update? Do you have to ask for it or did T-mobile just send you it?

Guest Pondrew
How did you get the update?  Do you have to ask for it or did T-mobile just send you it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I found out the update was finally out there from a member here at MoDaCo. I searched for it (having guessed that most Customer Services reps at T-Mobile won't know about this) and got confirmation of the updates existence from XDA-Developers.com. That's where I got it from. The update itself is named:

MDA3_TMUK_v106160_SHIP0307.exe

Moderators, if you give me the go-ahead I'll attach the rom.

NOTE: I will not provide this rom without MoDaCo's go-ahead so don't bother pm'ing me guys, sorry.

I DID call T-Mobile once speaking to a nice enough guy called John who obviously knew nothing about the update and put me on hold to speak to technical. When he came back he said Technical said to get the update from the Microsoft website!? I tried to explain that I doubted that as T-Mobile themselves would have to offer the Blackberry service but I got disconnected so I left it there. Expect if I called back I'd eventually get someone who knew about this.

I've heard from a couple of people who were sent the update without asking and another who was sent it by Customer Service after asking...

Guest xda-rocks

I spoke to T-Mobile customer services yesterday who told me no such update was available.

I insisted there was and was put through to two more reps before speaking to a helpfull very helpful chap called Derek in technical who said he would get a CD out to me asap and I could call back when I'd got the BB client installed to enable the service for £10/month for 50mb of instant email.

Another chap called James (also from technical) then left a message on my voicemail saying that he was posting out the CD and I should get it in the next couple of days - can't wait.

Guest Pondrew
I spoke to T-Mobile customer services yesterday who told me no such update was available.

I insisted there was and was put through to two more reps before speaking to a helpfull very helpful chap called Derek in technical who said he would get a CD out to me asap and I could call back when I'd got the BB client installed to enable the service for £10/month for 50mb of instant email.

Another chap called James (also from technical) then left a message on my voicemail saying that he was posting out the CD and I should get it in the next couple of days - can't wait.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heh. Not surprised at all. Somehow I guessed from the beginning that news of the update wouldn't reach the customer service reps. Maybe it's because I've been in the frontline myself so know what it's like...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest martinlaidlaw

Is the MDA 3 update available officially for download yet, I haven't bothered trying to ring them back yet?

Seem a bit strange that it's not freely available!

Guest xda-rocks

The t-mobile website still only shows the BlackBerry 7230 as a compatible device. The upgrade is available on the XDA-developers.com website.

I find that the gprs connection is lost every time you make a call from the MDAIII and it does always reconnect correctly.

Guest Pondrew

Do you mean GPRS doesn't always reconnect after a call? Because you said the opposite.

Haven't had any problems here.

As xda-rocks says the update isn't easily obtainable as even T-Mobile Customer service seem barely aware of it's existance. I didn't need the Blackberry instant email so for me the only value in the upgrade was the Bluetooth update (build 3500).

Guest sekou0

I recently bought the MDA III from T-Mobile and I want to upgrade the ROM..

But I cant find it ANYWHERE

DO you think you can point me in the right directly please??

Or better still supply me with the upgrade rom you might have.

Thanks

I found out the update was finally out there from a member here at MoDaCo. I searched for it (having guessed that most Customer Services reps at T-Mobile won't know about this) and got confirmation of the updates existence from XDA-Developers.com. That's where I got it from. The update itself is named:

MDA3_TMUK_v106160_SHIP0307.exe

Moderators, if you give me the go-ahead I'll attach the rom.

NOTE: I will not provide this rom without MoDaCo's go-ahead so don't bother pm'ing me guys, sorry.

I DID call T-Mobile once speaking to a nice enough guy called John who obviously knew nothing about the update and put me on hold to speak to technical. When he came back he said Technical said to get the update from the Microsoft website!? I tried to explain that I doubted that as T-Mobile themselves would have to offer the Blackberry service but I got disconnected so I left it there. Expect if I called back I'd eventually get someone who knew about this.

I've heard from a couple of people who were sent the update without asking and another who was sent it by Customer Service after asking...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone using Blackberry on their XDA (or other HTC device)? Does it work ok? Impact on battery life? Memory? How does it compare to using an original RIM BlackBerry device? Thanks!

Guest xda-rocks

The T-Mobile ROM is not the latest, but if you want Blackberry then you have to go with it, because you can not install BB into a newer ROM version at the moment. The radio ROM is also extremely old. I tried upgrading my radio to higher versions and BB would not work and I had this confirmed by T-Mobile support. I then I upgraded my Radio ROM using the German 1.06 (because that ships with BB in Germany and reasoned that it should work with BB in the UK and it works fine).

Battery life is affected, but I'm in and out of my car or office all day and so keep the MDA3 topped up, so I don't really know how badly it's been affected.

Guest Pondrew
The T-Mobile ROM is not the latest, but if you want Blackberry then you have to go with it, because you can not install BB into a newer ROM version at the moment. The radio ROM is also extremely old. I tried upgrading my radio to higher versions and BB would not work and I had this confirmed by T-Mobile support. I then I upgraded my Radio ROM using the German 1.06 (because that ships with BB in Germany and reasoned that it should work with BB in the UK and it works fine).

Battery life is affected, but I'm in and out of my car or office all day and so keep the MDA3 topped up, so I don't really know how badly it's been affected.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interested to hear that Blackberry may not work with newer radio versions. I'm using radio stack 1.10 (of German origin if I'm not mistaken) and have been very pleased with the increase in performance of the device (signal, battery life, etc). Can't comment on compatibility with Blackberry though as don't use it...

Guest xda-rocks
Interested to hear that Blackberry may not work with newer radio versions. I'm using radio stack 1.10 (of German origin if I'm not mistaken) and have been very pleased with the increase in performance of the device (signal, battery life, etc). Can't comment on compatibility with Blackberry though as don't use it...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I tried to get 1.10 working with the help of T-Mo CS, but we couldn't get it working with BB unfortunately.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.