Couple of questions for the mpx220

Guest Bojamba

Guest Bojamba

I have a couple of questions. Don't know if anyone else has run into these issues with the mpx 220.

I have Cingular Service, and I can connect to the internet, but i can't seem to connect to Media Net. When i first got the Phone, i went to media net(from my pc), purchased a ringtone. It texted the download link to my phone. I clicked on it, and successfully downloaded the ringtone.

Then ever since, i get an error(Page you are looking for cannot be found) trying to connect to media net or click on the download link(when i purchase from my pc) when it was texted to me, but i can still connect to the internet. Cingular customer service checked 3 times that my settings were correct. After escalating the issue they come back to me and say that the mpx 220 is incompatible with media net service, eventhough i successfully used it 1 time, and the website says it's compatible.

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, have you resolved it, and how?

Or have people with cingular had no issues with the mpx220 and accessing/downloading items from media Net?

Second question, when sending or receiving a call, has your microphone turned off resulting in the other person not hearing you at all, but you can hear them?

It happens every so often, and random as far as i can tell. My resolution has been to restart the phone.

My firmware version is 1.3.

Someone tell me i'm not the only one with these issues?

Guest MpX220 GirL
I have a couple of questions. Don't know if anyone else has run into these issues with the mpx 220.

I have Cingular Service, and I can connect to the internet, but i can't seem to connect to Media Net. When i first got the Phone, i went to media net(from my pc), purchased a ringtone. It texted the download link to my phone. I clicked on it, and successfully downloaded the ringtone.

Then ever since, i get an error(Page you are looking for cannot be found) trying to connect to media net or click on the download link(when i purchase from my pc) when it was texted to me, but i can still connect to the internet. Cingular customer service checked 3 times that my settings were correct. After escalating the issue they come back to me and say that the mpx 220 is incompatible with media net service, eventhough i successfully used it 1 time, and the website says it's compatible.

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, have you resolved it, and how?

Or have people with cingular had no issues with the mpx220 and accessing/downloading items from media Net?

Second question, when sending or receiving a call, has your microphone turned off resulting in the other person not hearing you at all, but you can hear them?

It happens every so often, and random as far as i can tell. My resolution has been to restart the phone.

My firmware version is 1.3.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Then ever since, i get an error(Page you are looking for cannot be found) trying to connect to media net or click on the download link" --- I've had the same problem. If you ever find out how to fix it pls let me know.. im having the same problem right now.. motorola mpx 220 just sucks.. its been having so many complaints and problems. :(

Guest Goattee

Get ready for a looong response:

I have Cingular Service, and I can connect to the internet, but i can't seem to connect to Media Net.

Then ever since, i get an error(Page you are looking for cannot be found) trying to connect to media net or click on the download link, but i can still connect to the internet. Cingular customer service checked 3 times that my settings were correct.

After escalating the issue they come back to me and say that the mpx 220 is incompatible with media net service, eventhough i successfully used it 1 time, and the website says it's compatible.

Has anyone else had this issue?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

On both issues-- if it is any consolation, you are not alone!

On issue 2 first:

This one is easy. This is happening broadly. It certainly happens to me. I have to preemptively turn off mute as the call starts dialing every darned call. Why this is happening baffles me. My assumption is that this is a bug that they have not killed even on this third round.

On issue 1:

The root cause is this: Cingular does not have an effective "customer care" operation. If anything it has gotten worse since they have picked up the ATT customer base. SBC, the dominant partner in Cingular, clearly wants to become the ATT monopoly of the 21st century and is already acting as if they have attained that status. (It gave Lilly Tomlin an early boost to her career: "We're the phone company. We don't care. We don't have to."

How does your report prove this point?

- Their support and customer-facing personnel are not terribly knowledgeable about the overall technologies, let alone the individual products. So they are poor judges of how to diagnose any situation presented to them.

- These folks are not given adequate training nor does the company put a high priority on communicating changes and updates to better support customers.

Now I will get off my soap box. I suspect that their MediaNet web site was killed and that Cingular management never bothered to communicate that fact to the customer-facing personnel. Why do I say this? Because starting in January, I could no longer pick up mail from the MediaNet web site via ANY web browser (pocket IE, or computer-based IE and Firefox). Mind you, the user interface was there. But it would no longer pull down messages from my POP server.

I go all the way back to when the company was Pacific Bell Wireless. From what I gleaned, this MediaNet service was a service operated by a third party company called Infospace. I am betting that the service either got cancelled by Cingular or it died on its own.

My experience was that I had one support person recite whatever she could find in the knowledgebase. When I told her that I had tried everything she was telling me to do on my computer with a standard browser, she was totally baffled.

Then I called their "product support group" after being given their number. This person led me to another site altogether called www.mywindowsmobile.com. As I discovered, this site is operated by Microsoft on behalf of mobile providers to support the various MS mobile-based products.

The support guy led me through web screens querying me about various POP mail parameters. His knowledgebase text must have been good, because he told me accurately to expect a text message to my phone offering a download.

What he did not tell me was that this download was a configuration file that would enable the email client on the phone to directly access my POP email-- without requiring a web browser. So I looked all over my phone until I was surprised to discover the email profiles in the "Messaging" application. Why was I surprised? Because support had been previously telling me that Cingular does not support that application!!!!

It turns out that any Moto user can manually add the POP profiles directly into the phone if they want. (But I will acknowledge that the web pages are friendlier.)

Not only is Cingular poor at communicating to its own personnel, they don't even try to make it possible for customers to operate effective self service. I could find no place on the web site linking customers to MyWindowsMobile.com. From the remaining shreds of the AT&T Wireless sites, it seems that that company was marginally better at communicating technical setup details to customers. But it seems that Cingular has not leveraged that expertise for their embedded customer base.

Sorry for the lengthy reply. But my bottom line guess is that Cingular has killed that service and either is incompetent or is purposefully withholding that fact from customers.

This is why competition is so important. There's no serious contender to Cingular if you want GSM service in the US. T-Mobile is weak and unlikely to gain ground. They didn't even bid on AT&T Wireless when the company was in play. And their coverage areas are spotty.

Guest Bojamba
MEdia Net solution:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php...threadid=567522

The muting has been often discussed, haven't seen any solutions though it hasn't happened to me lately.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks JLang! I opened IE, clicked on Menu, Options, and selected Connections.

I unchecked Automatically Detect Settings, and Selected WAP Network.

I rebooted the Phone(it is windows!), and it worked(at least for now)!!

I could connect to the internet, and media net. I downloaded a ringtone as well!

NOW I'm going to call Cingular and put them on the spot. I'd like to see what their response is to the phone being incompatible with Media Net!

As for the Muting.....i opened a case with Motorola. They responded that this is the first they have heard of this issue(yeah right), and recommended that I take it to an authorized service center.

It's not worth my time to take it there, especially considering it does not happen often, and chances are it won't happen when they have it.

I asked them if they will be invsetigating this at all, and trying to replicate in their lab, or will they just close the case?

I will let you know what they say. I find it hard to believe they do not know about this issue.

Guest tlynn1974
As for the Muting.....i opened a case with Motorola. They responded that this is the first they have heard of this issue(yeah right), and recommended that I take it to an authorized service center.

It's not worth my time to take it there, especially considering it does not happen often, and chances are it won't happen when they have it.

I asked them if they will be invsetigating this at all, and trying to replicate in their lab, or will they just close the case?

I will let you know what they say. I find it hard to believe they do not know about this issue.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I also called Motorola on the muting issue. They told me there was nothing they could do and to take the phone to a service center.

I went back to the Cingular store and was told the phone was muting because I was hitting the menu button. (The phone had gone into mute a few times before, so I had started going directly to unmute at the beginning of the phone call.) I didn't really believe him because I don't remember hitting the menu button every time the muting issue happened, however I have not had that problem again and it has been about a month. :?:

Muting is very random for me. I use a soft case on my belt and the problem happens mostly in the car. Could the side menu button be the problem sure but then why is it so random? I would think it would happen every time since I remove the phone the same way each time? Any way to disable the MUTE, I don't use it anyway.

Seems to random to be as simple as the side button getting pushed.