Annoying problems with SPV e100

Guest Chaos

Guest Chaos

Hi - firstly I apologise if a similar question has been asked already.

I have had my smartphone for about a year now, and although I love its many features it is playing up so often I'm considering reverting to my old phone.

- It crashes several times a day, requiring me to remove the battery and reset it.

- It is extremely slow at times, even when just writing a text message.

- I seem to have very little storage space on the phone, despite having very little installed on it

What can you suggest to improve its performance? Maybe a hard reset would work, but would that mean I have to get it unlocked again? The same applies to updating the ROM - and anyway, how would I do that?

The full details of my phone are below. I bought the phone off Ebay, and was told that the ROM had been upgraded to allow it to capture video (which it does pretty well, btw).

Phone details:

SPV e100

Application & network unlocked

02 online sim

Available Storage: 0.33MB

Total Storage: 7.50MB

Available Memory: 3.73MB

Total Memory: 12.53MB

Processor: ARM OMAP 710

ROM update versions:

Operator: 1.50.8.6

Manufacturer: 1.50.8.6

Microsoft: 3.0.13258.0

Language: 1.50.8.6

File system: 3.0.13258.0

Thanks in advance for any help.

Guest Pondrew

It's been a while since I had the original SPV (HTC Canary) but as I recall the latest rom version was version 1.6 which was for both SPV and SPV E100. I'm guessing you've got a slightly older rom and should seek out the latest which should go some way to making it more stable.

Also your storage does seem strangely low. Maybe it's time to do a hard reset as maintenence. Would get rid of all the temp files and failed installs that are taking room on the 'phone. Assuming you back up your info and have all yours progs available to install again...

Having said that, I'm afraid the Canary/Tanager models didn't have as much memory as the later HTC Smartphones and performance wise did tend to chug and wheeze a bit!

Guest Chaos

I decided to do a hard reset following the pinned video guide.

I now have an 'Available Storage' of 6.86MB and the phone runs much quicker! I still need to import all my contacts and a few programs, but I hope it stays like this 8)

As for upgrading the ROM, I may wait a bit. I discovered that I have the I-mate ROM (1.50), and don't want to risk losing any features by changing to the new Orange one. Does anyone know if the video camera is enabled in 1.6, like it is in 1.50?

Anyway, thanks.

Guest talmor82

Hi, I have the same problem and i wanted to know if i hard reseting will erase the rom update that was done on my phone??

plus Is there something I need like some code before doing the hard reset??

thanks

Guest blewer

Nothing to be scared of.

Just make sure you backup your calender and contacts before.

You will need to re-install everything.

I used to do a hard reset every few months just to keep it running as fast as possible.

Guest Chaos

Its actually easier than I expected. Just synchronise contacts and calendar through Activesync before and after, and you won't lose a thing (although you do need to set up a new partnership).

I can't believe I have the same programs on my phone as before, yet it has about 5MB extra memory free :shock:

Edited by Chaos

Guest talmor82

but do I need my pin1 number, I saw it on theguide to hard reset??

I dont have mine, is it possible to reset without the sim inside and then not need the code?

DOes the Sim get erased to when I do hard reset ?? ( the contacts on it)

thanks

Guest Chaos
but do I need my pin1 number, I saw it on theguide to hard reset??

I dont have mine, is it possible to reset without the sim inside and then not need the code?

DOes the Sim get erased to when I do hard reset ?? ( the contacts on it)

thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think so... it doesn't affect your sim card. I used this simple guide: http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=...=hard+rest+e100

• 2 months later...
Guest Geeklord
- It crashes several times a day, requiring me to remove the battery and reset it.

- It is extremely slow at times, even when just writing a text message.

- I seem to have very little storage space on the phone, despite having very little installed on it

Available Storage: 0.33MB

Total Storage: 7.50MB

Available Memory: 3.73MB

Total Memory: 12.53MB

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fixing a problem is one thing. Understanding it to avoid it is another. Your hard reset cured your phone because it virtually reverted it to factory settings, but taking a look at your info above, I think I can see where the problem started in the first place.

The Canary is like your home computer. it has RAM and Storage. Sometimes, your apps need storage space to use as scratch disks. with this in mind, 300kb of space is not good. If you have an SD card, it may prove wise to install third party apps there, as well as all of your pics and music to leave as much of the native storage for the use of the phone.

Memory is pretty much straight forward. the more available memory you have, the better. But to keep it safe, always have about 4MB free.

what most people forget about the smartphone is that it doesn't automatically quit applications when you go back to the homescreen (unlike symbian os). So if you have an app like task manager, you can check every now and then how your system is doing, what apps are on, and how much memory (and storage) you're using. If you don't have such an app, just make it a habit to turn off your phone every now and then (I used to turn it off at every night), specially when the sluggishness kicks in--very much like your home PC.

And like a home PC, it needs to be defragged (hard reset) every so often as well.

Remember, it's more of a pc than a phone.