Battery Problems

Guest robcoh

Guest robcoh

Call me stupid, but when orange supply the SPV M2000 they give 2 batteries but when I try to replace one with the other I loose all the data, can anyone help me on this issue.

Many Thanks

Rob

Guest fraser
Call me stupid, but when orange supply the SPV M2000 they give 2 batteries but when I try to replace one with the other I loose all the data, can anyone help me on this issue.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You don't lose all the data, the manual is badly worded here.

Basically, the battery is used even in standby to keep the memory alive. When you take it off, the memory is switched to a backup battery inside that can keep it going for a couple of days. However, all runtime stuff gets deleted (memory is in two halfs, storage & runtime memory), so when you next connect the battery, the phone restarts.

This is called a soft-reset. The reason you might lose data is that you might have a program running that hasn't saved it's data. The way to avoid problems is to close down all applications before pressing the reset button, yanking the battery etc. If you play about with bleeding edge tools (buggy), you may need to reset now and then on a lockup using the stylus and the reset button.

I also go to standby before taking off the battery, I'm not sure if that's what you are supposed to do, but that's how I do it.

A hard-reset is done by holding down the power button while pressing the reset button. This returns the phone to the out of the box state. It also happens now and again on it's own accord, but touch wood, it hasn't happened on mine. And I need to soft-reset a couple of times a day if I'm messing around with it.

Guest dazza12

There is an issue on the M2000 that occasionally when you change batteries, you will experience a hard reset.

The battery clip is also a button that enables the backup battery and to turn off the main battery. If you don't operate the switch properly, in other words it's not fully down when you change the battery, the backup battery is not switched in.

Some people have never had this problem, however I've had it about 3 times in the few months I've had the phone. It may be a design fault that only manifests itself on some units due to small differences in manufacture, or it might be how the user operates the switch. Might be taking a few microseconds too long! lol

I now always do a backup to SD card using xBackup (installed on the phone). That way if it does hard reset, I can restore my phone back to normal within a few minutes.