tomtom c500 or PDA

Guest mordzy

Guest mordzy

Hiya,

I already have a C500 and i want some navigation software .. like the tomtom stuff. specificly been looking at the tomtom mobile 5. (out soon)

however im not sure.. need some advice. would people reccomend getting it for the phone or would you purchase a PDA and install tomtom on that? (if money was no object)

which would work best.

thanks

confused in leeds.

Edited by mordzy

Guest awsher

Its really doen to personal preference. I have had both a PDA and now TTM on my C500, the PDA has obvious advantages in that it can perform a lot more tasks than the C500. However I prefer the C500 mainly because of its portability, and the fact that it is also my mobile phone, the fact that I can be using my navigation and my bluetooth headset similtaneously on that device means it does everything I need to do. Also the traffic subscription is a nice addon, so if you have GPRS you can avoid roadblocks etc, I presume you would need to nuy and additional sleeve for a PDA to get that feature.

I have read on another site (a GPS specific one) that all TTM users will get a free upgrade to the forthcoming TTM5, I sincerely hope so as I only purchased that 2 months ago and it will be outdated by then.

So like I said its personal preference, but for me the C500 wins hands down.

Guest spvdk
I prefer the mobile version to the ppc mainly because it saves me from having to carry more than one device.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why not get a Magician, then? :D

Guest Samsonite

i weighed up the E200 and satnav versus a PDA and i'm glad i went PDA based for the solution.

The bigger screen is the single biggest difference (although a Jam or equivalent could be the best compromise)...

I would say tho if you go PDA based, check out battery capacities as a Blutoof GPS setup saps my Acer n30 in about 3-4 hours of continuous use... i guess your c500 wuold be better than this...

Guest bulderhart

Take the C500 one. I compared it with the PPC version from a friend of mine: it has a bit more functionality, but the screen size didn't really make a big difference in practical use. And not having to lug around two different devices is a big plus!

By the way: the PPC maps also work on the C500 version , although not officially supported (install on PC and copy to phone storage card).