Infrared transfer limit on C500?

Guest Dark Horse

Guest Dark Horse

I tend to travel a lot and sometimes end up being out in the sticks with only a C500 and an old client laptop for company. In these cases, if I need to backup files or work on them and have no email connection, usb or activesync on the client laptop, I use the infrared file transfer on Windows 2000 laptops to transfer files to the C500. I have two questions:

1. Is it possible to change the default location of where files are sent to on the C500 via infrared? By default they go to \Storage\My Documents\ however I'd like to change this to \Storage Card\My Documents\ as I have lots of space there and often my default storage memory isn't sufficient.

2. Is there a limit on the size of files that can be transferred via infrared? Smaller files work fine but some large files of circa 15MB appear to transfer fine to the C500 using infrared but then don't copy actually across. If you watch the available storage space, you can see it steadily decreasing. However, upon reaching 100% transfer, the C500 says do you want to accept the file being sent to which you reply 'Yes', the transfer finishes and then looking in \Storage\My Documents\ reveals that there's nothing there with available memory back to what it was before the transfer was started!

Any ideas folks?

Regards,

Dark Horse

Guest bluesmudge
1. Is it possible to change the default location of where files are sent to on the C500 via infrared? By default they go to \Storage\My Documents\ however I'd like to change this to \Storage Card\My Documents\ as I have lots of space there and often my default storage memory isn't sufficient.
Download "Smart explorer" i got a copy from coolsmartphone.com you'll be able to access your storage card from there - then use its send / receive feature to receive viIR to the folder you are in

2. Is there a limit on the size of files that can be transferred via infrared? Smaller files work fine but some large files of circa 15MB appear to transfer fine to the C500 using infrared but then don't copy actually across. If you watch the available storage space, you can see it steadily decreasing. However, upon reaching 100% transfer, the C500 says do you want to accept the file being sent to which you reply 'Yes', the transfer finishes and then looking in \Storage\My Documents\ reveals that there's nothing there with available memory back to what it was before the transfer was started!

Havn't tried transfering large files before so not sure if theres a way of doing it.

My guess is that the phone buffers the data from IR into a tempory memory storage when recieveing files - im guessing that this temp storage is set to a limit so the phone doesn't run out of RAM to transfer to its final destination.

Of course that explanation sounded better in my head - its not nessasaraly right - but its an educated guess. - hope it helps

Guest Dark Horse

Many thanks for the reply bluesmudge. After further investigation, I found out the problem is not the infrared limit and more the available flash memory. Seems like you need a least 5MB of flash memory remaining after you transfer any files so if you have 22MB of flash memory available and try to transfer a 17MB file it won't work. It'll go to 99%, the C500 then asks you whether you want to accept the file, you click yes and then another message appears on the C500 saying that available memory is low and you should try deleting some files after which the transfer process ends and the file is not transferred.

I might check out Smart Explorer but to be honest, I tend to stay away from anything you have to pay to use.

Regards,

Dark Horse