Best Smart 'Flip' Phone available?

Guest zim_zimmer

Guest squall

I liked my mpx200, and would have loved to have owned a mpx220, sad to say i have been put off by the delays in release of the phone in the uk. I think this is the same with many users in the uk, and ultimitly i think the delay has caused the phone to be unsuccessful (not a flop as it did ok in the uk)

Guest stevem999
I liked my mpx200, and would have loved to have owned a mpx220, sad to say i have been put off by the delays in release of the phone in the uk. I think this is the same with many users in the uk, and ultimitly i think the delay has caused the phone to be unsuccessful (not a flop as it did ok in the uk)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The MPX220 did ok in the UK? Or am I reading something wrong? The phone has never been officially released in the UK, certain companies like Expansys have had it available but not as official network phone. It is filtering out just in the last week and Moto have sent out e-mails advertising it but saying it did ok in the uk is a little premature no?

I guess you may have meant 'did ok in the US?' 8)

Guest zim_zimmer

So what do users of the MPx220 think of it??

I'm more than happy with the features of my SPV C500 but I can't say that the build quality is great. I've heard that the MPx series have a well known reputation to be well built and obviously having Windows Mobile it seems like its the phone to have??

Guest zim_zimmer
Zimmer swapsy's my 8390 for you c500 :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whats the 8390? A nokia??

What features, etc...? Bluetooth is essential!!

Guest zim_zimmer
Dang you Zimmer.... :D

By starting this thread you made me go buy an MPX220...

Oh well...

Nik

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry Nik!!

What is that phone like man?? I've heard its the nuts? What phone did you have before and can you compare it to that?

Guest monkeygadge

I've been using an Mpx220 bought off ebay for the past three weeks and it's been working a treat!! No complaints whatsoever. I had to upgrade firmware and put in Orange settings manually but it was worth it in the end. Great phone.

Guest gregbarton

i got C500 aint had it 2 long only since xmas but worst problem is dust in the screen its gettin annoyin i hope it dont get 2 much worse!!!!

Guest i_oWn_u
i got C500 aint had it 2 long only since xmas but worst problem is dust in the screen its gettin annoyin i hope it dont get 2 much worse!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Had the same problem, I know how you feel, it will get much worse thats just the start....... Thats why i got rid of it and got the best flip phone out there:

.-~MPX220~-.

Guest zim_zimmer
Had the same problem, I know how you feel, it will get much worse thats just the start....... Thats why i got rid of it and got the best flip phone out there:

.-~MPX220~-.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I have to say I'm getting pretty fed up with the dust issue!! How the hell does it get in there in the first place!! It was fine and then all of a sudden BOOM... Dust everywhere!!

I'm definitely getting a MPx220!!

Any links to a cheap SIM FREE version? Cheapest I've seen is about £280

Guest jairo_lopez
So what do users of the MPx220 think of it??

I got an MPx220 from eBay 6 weeks ago, an I'm really happy with it. Very well built, don't have to worry about scratches or involuntary button press when I have the phone on my pocket. BTW, it is my first flip phone.

Regards

J. López

Bogota

I have a C500 and I've had a MPX200

the 200 was big but the 220 is HUGE!!!!!

plus I think it's ugly...

give me a C500 (or equivalent) any day!

Pigo

Guest zim_zimmer
I got an MPx220 from eBay 6 weeks ago, an I'm really happy with it. Very well built, don't have to worry about scratches or involuntary button press when I have the phone on my pocket. BTW, it is my first flip phone.

How much did you get yours for out of interest mate?

I have a C500 and I've had a MPX200

the 200 was big but the 220 is HUGE!!!!!

plus I think it's ugly...

give me a C500 (or equivalent) any day!

Pigo

Interesting you say that Pigo... I'm well impressed with the C500 I have to say, I would not buy another phone without Windows Mobile on it now... thanks to the C500 I'm a smartphone man for life!! I do think the Mpx220 does have its advantages from what I've read, just need to get one now!!

Guest nikjensie

Zimmer, sorry that I haven't been around to give you my cents about the switch from my E200 to the MPx220, it's just that I've had som much FUN!!!! ;)

Really though, I bought mine through eBay for $300 including shipping to Sweden. It came after only 4 days. I thought I would have to spend a lot of time with Cingular for the unlock code or pay a lot of money for it through someone on the net, luckily it came unlocked :D

All I can say now is get one... it's so nice. Great build. Smaller but much brighter and sharper screen than the E200. Fast like no other. Very good Bluetooth (that's comparing to the E200 though that had the crappiest BT on the market...). I just like it and I'm very happy with the switch!

Nik

Guest zim_zimmer
Zimmer, sorry that I haven't been around to give you my cents about the switch from my E200 to the MPx220, it's just that I've had som much FUN!!!! ;)

Really though, I bought mine through eBay for $300 including shipping to Sweden. It came after only 4 days. I thought I would have to spend a lot of time with Cingular for the unlock code or pay a lot of money for it through someone on the net, luckily it came unlocked :D

All I can say now is get one... it's so nice. Great build. Smaller but much brighter and sharper screen than the E200. Fast like no other. Very good Bluetooth (that's comparing to the E200 though that had the crappiest BT on the market...). I just like it and I'm very happy with the switch!

Nik

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Nik!! I think I will deffo be getting one!!

So you say you ordered yours from Ebay and got it delivered to Sweden? Did you use Ebay.com??

Guest zim_zimmer

Well,

I got a MPx200 through my door yesterday and well... I was very impressed. Although it being an old phone now and apart from the obvious glaring omissions from the phone (bluetooth & camera) its a great phone. It just feels like its been very well made and that you know you've got a phone for life! Unlike my SPV C500 which now has a gethering of dust in the screen and still feels like it may fall apart at any second! I'm not mocking the features and power of the SPV because its superb but the build quality and design I would deffo go for the MPx any time!

I upgraded it to Windows Mobile 2003 (as it was on WM2002) and also added BetaPlayer and it seems to run the OS very smoothly (I'd say more smoothly than WM2002!!) with no hanging plus obviously now I have the new version of Windows Media Player!

I'm not planning on keeping the MPx200... not because its not a great phone but because it does not have bluetooth or a camera and to me those features are now essential on a phone that I own. I will use the money that I get from this phone (and my SPV) to buy a MPx220!!!

If anyone knows of a cheap resource of where to purchase a SIM free (preferably unlocked) MPx220 then I will be very grateful!

Guest nikjensie

Yes, I did use eBay.com. After you type in a search, click Advanced Search to the right of the regular search field. The page that comes up has a lot of search options, choose "Items available to:" and pick your country to display all items that ships Worldwide or to your country specifically... just an easier way than to keep going through em all and notice that most americans don't want to ship outside of the US.

Just something to think about... Since I bought mine from the US, it only includes U.S. English in Languages... which keeps me from typing the lovely swedish characters åÅ äÄ & öÖ... and becuase of it I'm getting a lot better at swedish synonyms than I was before... ;)

Best Regards

Nik

P.S. Tried another search at eBay for you, at the moment 22 phones shipping worldwide came up:

http://search.ebay.com/mpx220_Phones-Only_...orefinesearchZ1

Guest zim_zimmer
Yes, I did use eBay.com. After you type in a search, click Advanced Search to the right of the regular search field. The page that comes up has a lot of search options, choose "Items available to:" and pick your country to display all items that ships Worldwide or to your country specifically... just an easier way than to keep going through em all and notice that most americans don't want to ship outside of the US.

Just something to think about... Since I bought mine from the US, it only includes U.S. English in Languages... which keeps me from typing the lovely swedish characters åÅ äÄ & öÖ... and becuase of it I'm getting a lot better at swedish synonyms than I was before... ;)

Best Regards

Nik

P.S. Tried another search at eBay for you, at the moment 22 phones shipping worldwide came up:

http://search.ebay.com/mpx220_Phones-Only_...orefinesearchZ1

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks!!

I'm in the UK so the dictionary will be fine. Thank you for the link!! I'll scour Ebay and try and find a cheap MPx220!!

What was the Ebay username of the person you bought yours from Nik? Just wondered if he/she has anymore?

Guest Jamma14

Nik did you have to pay any customs taxes or anything like that?? I'm just not sure coz what to go for coz the UK ones are going for a lot at the mo but I don't wanna end up spending more on an American one due to taxes???

Guest Confucious
Nik did you have to pay any customs taxes or anything like that?? I'm just not sure coz what to go for coz the UK ones are going for a lot at the mo but I don't wanna end up spending more on an American one due to taxes???

If you are in the UK you *should* pay taxes when it is imported (and they can be quite a lot) but sometinmes things get through without being taxed - it depends on how it's described, the carrier and luck!

Guest zim_zimmer

Yeah I've heard that if you mark it as a gift then you shouldn't have to pay taxes?? Ask the seller if he/she'll do this for you... I know I will if I find one!!

Guest bitbank

I've used the MPX200 for about a year on T-Mobile (got it from ebay) and I liked it a lot. The only downside was the battery life and occasional quick discharge/ failed recharge of the battery.

I got the MPX220 about 2 months ago on ebay ($320 shipped and unlocked) and I think it's a great phone. It's not as good for playing games as the MPX200 (directional pad designed badly), but the bluetooth and better signal quality are a plus.

I should have a SMT5600 (C500) arriving today (bought it on ebay for $241 shipped) for bluetooth testing and I will let you know my results.

Is it just me or are other people having trouble with their MPX200 and MPX220's where sometimes you connect it to charge overnight and in the morning the battery is not charged?

Larry B.

Edited by bitbank

Guest zim_zimmer

I have to say that the battery on my MPx200 is fine. I flashed it with WM2003 and had the battery fully charged when I did it so I don't know whether that has helped or not??