Pope John Paul II Dies - RIP

Guest nickcornaglia

Guest nickcornaglia

I remember being a little kid in Philadelphia, sitting on my uncle's shoulders on South Broad Street, when he came whizzing by in his convertable. Standing and waving from the back seat. These were the "pre-bullet-proof-mobile" days. It was very brief but that was my only physical viewing of a real pope.

He was a great man no matter what religion you happen to believe. May he rest in peace.

EDIT: That was actually 1979 to be exact. Here are some pics of the event from someone else's website.

http://www.phillyfuture.org/image/tid/38

Edited by nickcornaglia

Guest Pondrew

The closest I got was a couple of years ago in Toronto when he was there for World Youth Day (at least, I think that's what it was). Unfortunately I didn't get to 'see' him in the flesh.

A sad passing but at least he's not suffering anymore.

Guest McHale

Just think, yesterday, the most powerful religious figure in the world has died. One could argue one of the most powerful in history. Humbling.

A very sad day... When I saw the entire square of the Vatican filled with people (anywhere from 75,000 to 250,000) and you could hear a pin drop, I fully empathized.

R.I.P. PJPII.

-Mc

Guest confused and hungover
RIP as well from me ,though i am not catholic ,God took him because He needs him more than we do .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i'm going to rome in 3 weeks, one of the main reasons for my visit was to see the pope.... i'm gutted that i now won't get to see him

going to see BB king in concert in June... he's 80, hope he lasts that long or it will be a dissapointing year :cry: