Cingular users --- using your MPx220 as a modem?

Guest MJM

Hello,

I searched the forum and could not find an answer to my question. Here it is:

I would like to use my MPx220 as a modem for my laptop. Right now I have the phone with voice service only. I realize I would have to activate the data plan (and yes I would get the unlimited one) from Cingular.

I also know that I could purchase a GSM or GPRS modem card for the laptop and connect that way, but I would like to be able to use the phone to send and receive emails when I'm away from the computer too and I wouldn't be able to do that with the laptop card.

So, if I activate the data plan for the phone I know I will be able to send and received emails, etc. But will I be able to hook the phone up to my laptop and surf the internet? If so what speeds can I expect?

Thanks

Guest fincan
  So, if I activate the data plan for the phone I know I will be able to send and received emails, etc. But will I be able to hook the phone up to my laptop and surf the internet? If so what speeds can I expect?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes you can surf the internet, see the first topic in the forum (using mpx220 as a modem bla bla)

The speed is almost like using a dial-up connection (at best) or a bit slower.

Guest fincan
Any Cingular users out there with the full data plan using their MPx-220 as a modem?

Any feedback before I sign up would be appreciated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am a cingular customer with an unlimited data plan :D

what do you want to know?

Guest arogntbastrd
Any Cingular users out there with the full data plan using their MPx-220 as a modem?

Any feedback before I sign up would be appreciated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm using the data package and use my phone as my modem when I go back home from college for the weekend. It's supposed to be faster than dialup. now, while i haven't used dial up in forever, whether it is or not it's irrelevant. It's still going to be slow if you're used to using high speed internet. it sounds like you're just going to be using it for email mainly though. frankly, for this it works quite well. since text doesn't take a lot of space it works just fine for messaging applications like aim. it's not horrible for sites, but you're def not going to be downloading any videos and graphics heavy pages to take some patience. if you're fine with dialup speeds you should have no problems. another thing, i have the 20 dollar package. there's a thread on here where we discussed the differences with the media packages. a few people use the 40 dollar pda one for some reason or other. no one ever gave any good reasons for it and everyone that has the 20 dollar package said it worked just fine and we haven't gotten any usage charges. hope that helps

another thing, i have the 20 dollar package. there's a thread on here where we discussed the differences with the media packages. a few people use the 40 dollar pda one for some reason or other. no one ever gave any good reasons for it and everyone that has the 20 dollar package said it worked just fine and we haven't gotten any usage charges. hope that helps

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the feedback!

I see three types of plans on the Cingular website:

Blackberry data access

Data connect for PC cards

Data connect for PDAs

For the unlimited amount of downloads plans the prices vary widely:

Blackberry data access $50

Data connect for PC cards $80

Data connect for PDAs $45

Obviously the PC card plan is for those who us the PCMIA type cards. My question is where does a MPx220 smartphone fall in? Blackberry? PDA?

And are saying that you have a 5MB data connect plan for a PDA and you ARE NOT being charged for overages?

Thanks,

Matt

Guest dchester
Obviously the PC card plan is for those who us the PCMIA type cards. My question is where does a MPx220 smartphone fall in? Blackberry? PDA?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With the MPx220, you can either use the PDA Connect plan, or one of the Media Net (cell phone) plans. It is not a Blackberry.

With the MPx220, you can either use the PDA Connect plan, or one of the Media Net (cell phone) plans.  It is not a Blackberry.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the info, I did not know about Medianet.

So now I think my choices are:

PDA connect unlimited__ $45

Medianet unlimited_____$25

Does anyone know if you can sign up for the medianet plan and still use the phone as a modem for a laptop?

Thanks

Edited by MJM

Guest JeffreyCentex

Many of us do... But... With MediaNet, you only get provisioned for the wap.cingular access point, not the faster/optimized isp.cingular one (that one compresses content before sending automatically)...

That is the main drawback to the MediaNet plan. Benefits - lower costs, especially if you were grandfathered into the older MediaNet (unlimited internet, 1500 SMS - good for Exchange AS, and some limited MMS)

Guest arogntbastrd
Many of us do...  But...  With MediaNet, you only get provisioned for the wap.cingular access point, not the faster/optimized isp.cingular one (that one compresses content before sending automatically)...

That is the main drawback to the MediaNet plan.  Benefits - lower costs, especially if you were grandfathered into the older MediaNet (unlimited internet, 1500 SMS - good for Exchange AS, and some limited MMS)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah, the one i have is the unlimited with all those text/picture messages. mine's only 20, but that might be a regional thing since i'm in texas. i think it's more expensive in other parts, but 25 sounds about right. like jeffrey said, it's the one most of us have and most of us have it because we hook up to our laptops from time to time. i'm not familiar with the whole compressed/uncompressed access point thing but definitely don't want to give you the impression that you won't get charged for overages if you get the 5MB plan. another difference, i'm almost sure the pda package doesn't come with any text/picture messages. it's strictly the unlimited data. if you want the other stuff you have to buy a seperate package with them