HOW TO: Make SMS vibrate and ring

Guest fincan

Guest fincan

-My English is far from perfect, so please forgive me if I used wrong tenses, words etc. :D

Although I had set everything in the sound profiles to vibrate (or vibrate and ring), when I received an SMS, I haven't manage to make SMS vibrate. Other message alerts were vibrating normally though (Voice mail and E-mail alerts).

After trying to change every sound setting back and forth (and not getting any results), I searched the registry for SMS, and using trial-and-error, found this solution:

(Use a registry editor for the followings):

1- Open HKEY_CURRENT_USER/ControlPanel/Sounds/SMS

2- for PHM Registry editor, press Values

3- You should see three keys (Category, Script, Sound)

4- Select "Script" and open it.

5- Edit the value (originally, it is "p", but we need to change it to "av0p" -note that it not the letter O but digit zero-)

6- Send yourself an SMS, see that it vibrates, smile.

the value 'p' is for ring I guess, and 'av0' is for vibrate (or maybe just the 'v' didn't try to use it as 'vp')

-if you want your sms ring repeat, you should add 'r' at the end of the string (av0pr)

-if you want to add a delay before repeating, use w# for it (av0pw3r - 3 is for three seconds delay before repeat, you can change it as you like)

Edited by fincan

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rexriver

Hi there,

My english is not perfect either so excuse me if I make any mistake..

I followed your instructions to make SMS vibrate and ring but unfortunately I screwed myself up and I accidentally delete the Folder "SMS" so now I´m not having neither sound nor vibration in my incomming SMS.

Could you tell me what was inside so I can type that again and fix it?

I´d love to have vibration on my phone when receiven SMS.

I promise to be more careful next time...

Thx in advance

Rexriver

[email protected]

Guest fincan
Hi there,

My english is not perfect either so excuse me if I make any mistake..

I followed your instructions to make SMS vibrate and ring but unfortunately I screwed myself up and I accidentally delete the Folder "SMS" so now I´m not having neither sound nor vibration in my incomming SMS.

Could you tell me what was inside so I can type that again and fix it?

I´d love to have vibration on my phone when receiven SMS.

I promise to be more careful next time...

Thx in advance

Rexriver

[email protected]

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are 3 fields inside SMS (all of them are Strings)

1 - Category:

Value Name: Category

Value Data: Notification

2- Script:

Value Name: Script

Value Data: av0p

3- Sound:

Value Name: Sound

Value Data: WindowsDefault.mid

Take a backup of your registry next time ;)

Guest awalt

This works great, except for one thing - I use av0pr, but how do I get the vibrate to stop? It just went on and on until I reboted <g>

I prefer this to be sure I get the text message. The default length is way too short (unless there is a way to lengthen the default vibrate for SMS?)

thanks!

Guest awalt
This works great, except for one thing - I use av0pr, but how do I get the vibrate to stop?  It just went on and on until I reboted <g>

I prefer this to be sure I get the text message. The default length is way too short (unless there is a way to lengthen the default vibrate for SMS?)

thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Figured it out - change the 0 to the number of seconds you want it to vibrate!

• 7 months later...
Guest vitetor

Ho, Just tried your solution cause my phone was not doing anything when I got a new email or SMS. Made the chagnes and it still does not do anything. Is theer anything else that could be wrong? It does not even show the little mail icon on the top of my home screen when I get a new Email/SMS...Any Ideas???

I tend not to use "r" in my sound Script except for ringtones because if I am not around, the phone will quickly run down.

I use the following as a "Reminder" sound script: av1c120pw2pw2p

This means: vibrate for 1 second, set the volume to 120% & play, wait 2 sec, play, wait 2 sec, play.

Thus it vibrates once and plays 3 times louder than regular, and if I still haven't answered after the 3, I figure I am not around...

I also noticed one other registry value that might apply (it is in one of the Sounds):

BeepMode (DWord).

I have been curious to experiment at some point to see if some of the values that are defined in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\SoundCategories\* are accepted in the Sounds profile. After all, this is where Script is usually defined. Thus, there may be additional values available to use in the Sounds registry keys, such as: InitVol, AttenuationCategory, Speaker, Suppress

Just some food for thought... and I'd be curious if anyone has actually tried this...